Register

Welcome to the Samsung Galaxy Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Menu Screen Glitch Since EL29 Update

Member #
    Liked
    5 times

Menu Screen Glitch Since EL29 Update

Prior to the EL29 Upgrade when ever I would restart my phone, or went to the main screen, the phone would go to screen #4 (of 7) which was the main/center menu screen. I liked that because I had my weather,time and medical apps are on the main page, for ease of use. Now since the update, the menu screen always goes to menu screen #7 (of 7) and if I hit the home screen button an extra time or two, it will eventually jump to screen #4 (center) which is where I wanted it in the first place.! This is extremely annoying! I wan't to find information on setting up the 7 screens. It's easy enough to get to the page where I could add/remove screens, but setting up a page order or default start page, is not self explanitory.

Any help in fixing this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Greg

2. Ads

Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Liked
    253 times
    On my version of the phone you can get to the arrangement screen two different ways. The first is to pinch inwards on any of the screens and the other is to press Menu and then Edit on any of the home screens.

Once all of your pages appear you long press whichever screen you want to be your true home screen and drag it to the top left position. After arranging the screens to your liking you press the home button to exit the editing mode. Afterwards, whichever screen you positioned in the top left corner will be the screen you land on when pressing the home button or when you reboot your phone.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Doing this only changed the order of the screens. Pressing the home key once gets me to screen 7 and pressing it again gets me to home. Even if I haven't used screen/page 7.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Liked
    253 times
    It sounds like you should put the screen that you want on page seven lol. My phone doesn't operate like yours. Whichever screen I set in the top left corner under editing becomes my home screen after pressing home twice. Another option is to download a different launcher.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    I also noticed that my AP news widget is no longer able to access the news service. So I downloaded the regular app and it works perfectly, but the one that came on the phone to begin with, no longer works.

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    485 times
    I vote for a factory reset :P I joke, leave that as a last resort.
    Ollie likes this.

Rescue Squad

Feel free to pm, with any questions or concerns

Gtalk available upon request

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ronnie8890 View Post
    I'm close to doing a factory reset, but I've been reading where another update to, fix this one, is due in a few weeks.

Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Liked
    253 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ronnie8890 View Post
    This is the route I always go. If the issue is something minor then I might trouble shoot for the sake of learning and having fun. Most people do not want to resort to a factory reset. I'm not sure why because it is often faster and more beneficial to spend 15 minutes creating a backup and wiping than it is to spend hours searching for a fix. If I spend more than 10 minutes on my phone scratching my head I apply a factory reset.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Backing up without root isn't a easy or effective.

Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Liked
    253 times
    With this phone it is actually quite easy. You do it through Samsung Kies on your computer.
    These are the steps that I take on a stock phone:
    1. I use Appsaver to save all of my .apks. It saves them to /sdcard/appsaver. Then I transfer the folder to my external sdcard for safe keeping. This step saves me from having to write down all of the free apps that I have gotten from Google, Getjar, and Amazon. Your paid Google apps will reinstall automatically after the wipe and your FAOTD from Amazon will prompt you as soon as you reinstall their .apk from the Appsaver folder.
    2. I sync one more time with Google to ensure all of my contacts are in the cloud. This is precautionary because I also do this in step three.
    3. I then sync through Samsung Kies on my computer which will transfer (if selected) my contacts, movies, music, notes, etc in a backup file.
    4. Wipe the phone.
    5. Restore from the backup in Samsung.
    6. Log in to Google and sync.
    7. Reinstall Amazon and Getjar and their respective apps from the Appsaver folder.
    8. Reinstall any other free .apks from the Appsaver folder.

The only downfall to this is that app data is not retained.

On my phone however, this is easily avoided by dropping a rooted kernel onto it with Odin on the PC. It doesn't perform a wipe and it allows me to use Titanium backup which does preserve app data. Afterwards, wipe the phone, drop the rooted kernel on it, sync with Google, download Titanium, and finally restore apps and data (not system data!). Done.

Maybe your phone has the same option to root with a kernel that doesn't wipe your phone.

Ads