Register

Welcome to the Samsung Galaxy Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Stuck in: Android System Recovery :(

Hello, I have a Samsung Epic phone and today in the middle of me sending a text the phone froze up with yellow vertical lines. I couldn't get it to do anything so I popped the battery in and out. When I tried to power it up it took forever to do anything and got stuck on the opening "Galaxy" screen.

I looked for answers on what to (as I thought I could fix it myself) and found a post on how to go into Recovery Mode. I am now in Recovery Mode but it will not allow me to select anything. The post said to scroll down using the volume keys to wipe cache partition using the House looking key for enter but it doesn't do anything when I press the key on the screen. When I pull the battery back out it eventually goes back to this same screen.

Can anyone tell me what to do, either to fix the issue or get out of Recovery Mode? I don't want anyone to know I tried to fix it myself if I have to take it back to BestBuy with this screen up.

Update 1:30 pm: I can use the volume up and down button to move through:
    reboot system now
    apply update from sdcard
    wipe data/factory reset
    wipe cashe partition

but just tried Ollie's suggestion to tap the power button and nothing happened-I even did a long tap and still nothing (I don't know what rooting means, I only pressed the 3 buttons to get into recovery mode)
    Last edited by BonnieW; 06-08-2012 at 11:37 AM.

2. Ads

Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Liked
    248 times
    You can try tapping the power button to make your selection.

It doesn't look to me like you tried to fix anything. I wouldn't be afraid to return it unless you rooted it and flashed a Rom.

S3'd
    Living dangerously, to me, is eating spaghetti with a white shirt on.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    BonnieW... I am having the EXACT same problem. The Youtube video suggested to hit the home button after scrolling down to factory reset (using the volume buttons - which work just fine), but like you, my home button is not working (nor is the one on the slide out keyboard). I've tried every combination of side buttons / hold frequencies, but i still have the same Recovery screen BonnieW mentions above. Phone will only power down with battery removal.
    Any suggestions of how to get OUT of the Recovery screen would be appreciated!

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Having the same problem. Can't get out of the Android system recovery screen as the home softkey won't work. Dealer say's that a new touch screen is needed at $130. I'm thinking about throwing it into the lake....

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    308 times
    Welcome to the forum biker! Have you tried tapping the power button to select, as opposed to the home soft key?

**tap'n**

"Guidelines of Conduct" for Galaxyforums.net

Any questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to PM me.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks, I have tried the power button and every other possible combo. I know the power putton is working fine. Not sure if it is because of my model : Galaxy S SCH-1500 (Showcase) with Cspire where the power button won't select in this screen or if there is another hardware issue with one of the lower 4 touch keys being stuck on and preventing it from working. The Vol up/dn work as curser OK.

I tried to reload Galaxy using the Samsung Kies but of course Kies isn't enabled on the phone so it wouldn't work says wrong version with the Cspire software and doesn't recognise the phone with the Samsung Kies Mini application. I finally managed to hose up the Galaxy during the process where it was stuck with the broken PC link graphic on the LCD.

To get back where I started I used Odin3 to reload the FC27 firmware that I found on http://www.androidauthority.com. Worked great ! But now I'm back to the recovery screen delema.

I read somewhere that there is an Android App that has the lower 4 softkeys as icons and was hoping to try that as a workaround. Can't seem to find it though!!! Your thoughts???
    Last edited by BikerFi; 07-01-2012 at 08:22 PM.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    308 times
    Dang, that sucks biker! You've definitely tried everything I would have expected to work. Hopefully someone can offer up a solution for you soon. Good luck biker & hang in there.... I know it can get frustrating at times.
    :beer:

**tap'n**

"Guidelines of Conduct" for Galaxyforums.net

Any questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to PM me.

Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Liked
    248 times
    Is that a Fascinate?

Sent from my GT-I9300

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Mine is a SCH-1500 Showcase. I know the FC27 said it was for Fascinate but I was getting desparate and thought if I could get the galaxy to boot than I could use Kies to reload from the Samsung download. Do you know of anything I can try to get around the recovery screen?
    Hoping that if I reloaded enough of the firmware/OS it might do it. Had I known beforehand I would have turned on Kies before attempting to clear the cache originally. Thought my original problems were corrupt data.
    Up to this point the only Keys I knew of were the ones on my key ring (am I missing something here?) This is my first experience with this type of phone.

Thanks for your help...

Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Liked
    248 times
    Which Telecom are you using this phone with?

Sent from my GT-I9300

Ads