Register

Welcome to the Samsung Galaxy Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Battery Drain

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Battery Drain

All - Still running superclean 2.9 w/ blue steel theme... I've read the various posts on how to recalibrate battery on this formum as well as XDA.

I've followed this basic steps: charge fully, wipe battery stats in recovery, let phone completely drain until dead, fully charge while turned off.

Yesterday with light/moderate useage my phone used 50% charge. I plugged it in last night while it was still on and this morning it only reaches 97% charged despite the fact that it has been charging >7 hours.

So I turned it off this morning, charged again...took an additional 20 min of charge to reach 100%. Reboot into recovery, wipe battery stats.... and see how we go.

Thoughts anyone?

2. Ads

Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Liked
    303 times
    Quote Originally Posted by fraterpm View Post

Yesterday with light/moderate useage my phone used 50% charge. I plugged it in last night while it was still on and this morning it only reaches 97% charged despite the fact that it has been charging >7 hours.
    I had a very similar incident like this when I flashed 2.8. I soon after flashed 2.9 and it corrected itself. Has not happened since. I am not sure what the issue was, might want to try reflashing 2.9 and 2.9.1 for giggles. Never know with these things.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Well, two things. First, the battery stats wipe in CWM is apparently broken. I'm pretty sure that SC 2.9 includes a script that can be run via terminal emulator or ADB to wipe the batt stats, but that might only be in the 2.9.1 patch...not sure.

edit: Here's the patch that puts installs the battery wipe script... http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...=battery+stats

Second, Li-Ion batteries won't take being overcharged. For that reason, once it hits 100% charge, it stops charging. It then won't resume charging until it drops to 95% - this way it doesn't just sit there cycling the charging on and off every 10 seconds once the battery is fully charged. This might explain what you experienced.

Mike
    Mmm...CM7 goodness OC'd @ 1300 MHz

Member #
    Liked
    548 times
    Mike is right. Li-Ion batteries behave very differently from Ni-Cd or Ni-MH batteries in terms of how they charge. That said, I still am not getting the kind of battery life that some of y'all are reporting. Maybe I haven't conditioned the battery properly, but keep in mind that all these batteries (just like the phones they're in) behave differently from each other. Mine may never see the kind of life that yours does.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Still kinda new .. can you clarify what "adb or terminal emulator" is? How do I apply the script? I assume i apply the flash in recovery? (apply zip from SD card) After I apply the fix, will wiping battery stats work in recovery or do I have to do something differently using adb/terminal emulator? I would appreciate a step by step instruction guide

thanks for the useful information.

Member #
    Liked
    548 times
    ADB stands for Android Debug Bridge. You execute shell commands on your computer (think of the old DOS [pre-Windows] operating system) to make a change to your phone. ADB uses Linux commands.

Terminal emulator apps run on your phone and let you execute shell commands. You can download a terminal emulator from the Market. See Sele's instructions here for how to wipe battery stats using a terminal emulator.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    excellent! I installed terminator emulator and applied the bstats fix. Will charge back up to 100% and wipe the stats and see how we go!

Thx!

Member #
    Liked
    548 times
    You're welcome. Let us know how you make out. Good luck!

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I have sc2.9nv with Blue Steel as well. I have seen a huge gain in my battery since i flashed up from 2.1. I charged to 100%, went through TU and wiped stats. The only thing is when the screen says harged to 100% i unplug phone and it only says 95%. Even theniam getting 15+ hrs of battery life with light to moderate use. I unplugged my phone yesterday at 6am. I went to bed at 930pm and still had about 30% left. Also, i wiped the bat stats 3 days in a row. Not sure if it helped or not.
    Sent from my Rooted X2. I miss my Fassy.

Member #
    Liked
    548 times
    Tweaking the battery to get good life out of it seems to be more art than science. It's also kernel-dependent. I probably sound like a broken record, but I'm anxiously waiting for source code to be released so we can get more custom kernels.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads