Below you'll find the steps to attain root access on your Samsung Fascinate, but keep in mind that along with risking damage to your phone, you'll be voiding your warranty. This guide assumes you've taken the most recent OTA update and are running official Gingerbread. The responsibility for any damage incurred by following this guide is yours and yours alone.
NOTE 1: These instructions are for PC only. They will not work for Mac users.
NOTE 2: These instructions should work for any stock Gingerbread build on the Fascinate.
Download Samsung drivers from HERE.
Download Odin (computer program) from HERE.
Download ClockworkMod Recovery from HERE (place this file somewhere on your computer where you can easily locate it).
Download "su-188.8.131.52.x.zip" file from HERE (place this file on the root of your sdcard...not within any folders).
1. Install Samsung drivers on your computer.
2. Open Odin on your computer. (You may need to disable antivirus programs on your computer and/or phone for this to work properly.)
3. Power off your phone and remove the battery.
4. Plug the stock USB cord that came with your phone into a powered USB port on your computer (usually on the back of the computer).
5. Press and hold the "volume down" button on your phone, and continue to hold it while plugging the USB cord into your phone. This will put your phone into download mode. You'll see a large yellow triangle on the screen of your phone. (Let go of the volume button at this point.) You will also see one of the small boxes in Odin turn yellow, as well as "Added" appearing in the message box.
6. Click the PDA button in Odin (NOT the PHONE button) and navigate to the "CWM3_Voodoo.tar.md5" file you downloaded earlier. This file does not include a voodoo kernel and will not perform the voodoo lagfix conversion. It's only named as such to note that it is compatible with voodoo kernels.
7. Click START. When this process has finished, you'll be notified in Odin (succeeded 1 / failed 0) and your phone's screen will go blank.
8. Unplug your phone and re-insert the battery.
9. Press and hold BOTH volume buttons. While holding them, press the power button. Hold all three simultaneously until you see "SAMSUNG" appear. This will boot your phone into ClockworkMod Recovery. If your phone boots up normally here and not into recovery, just wait for it to boot up and then power it down and try again. It may take a couple tries for you to get it right.
10. Using the volume rocker, navigate down to "Install zip from sdcard." Highlight it and press the power button to select.
11. Navigate to "choose zip from sdcard" and select with the power button.
12. Navigate to the "su-184.108.40.206.x.zip" file that you downloaded earlier and select it. Scroll to "Yes," and use power button to select.
13. When you're advised of completion, press the MENU softkey to go back to the previous CWM Recovery screen, then highlight and select "reboot system now."
At this point your phone will reboot and you'll be rooted. Open up your app drawer. You should see an app called "Superuser." If it's there, you're done! Now you can think about possibly moving on to a custom ROM and/or kernel. Instructions for flashing a custom ROM can be found here.