Register

Welcome to the Samsung Galaxy Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: [HOW TO] Use Odin

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    92 times

[HOW TO] Use Odin

Here are the steps for flashing ".tar" files using Odin. Keep in mind that along with risking damage to your phone, you may be voiding your warranty. The responsibility for any damage incurred by following this guide is yours and yours alone.

NOTE: These instructions are for PC only. They will not work for Mac users.

Downloads:
    Download desired ".tar" or ".tar.md5" file and place somewhere on your PC where it can be easily located.

Download Samsung drivers from HERE.

Download Odin (computer program) from HERE.

Instructions:
    1. Install Samsung drivers on your computer.

2. Open Odin on your computer. (You may need to disable antivirus programs on your computer and/or phone for this to work properly.)

3. Power off your phone and remove the battery.

4. Plug the stock USB cord that came with your phone into a powered USB port on your computer (usually on the back of the CPU).

5. Press and hold the "volume down" button on your phone, and continue to hold it while plugging the USB cord into your phone. This will put your phone into download mode. You'll see a large yellow triangle on the screen of your phone. (Let go of the volume button at this point.) You will also see one of the small boxes in Odin turn yellow, as well as "Added" appearing in the message box.

6. Click the PDA button in Odin (NOT the PHONE button) and navigate to the ".tar" file you downloaded earlier.

7. Click START. When this process has finished, you'll be notified in Odin (succeeded 1 / failed 0) and your phone's screen will go blank.

8. Unplug your phone, re-insert the battery, and power on. At this point your phone should boot up with the desired changes.
    Last edited by bhfd64; 12-19-2011 at 11:28 PM. Reason: Updated links

2. Ads

Member #
    Liked
    17 times

I stumbled across THIS most excellent thread for
    flashing with Odin that includes pictures for each and every step and thought some might find it useful. I wish I had had this the first time I flashed a ROM...well, the first time I ever opened Odin would have been even better. (No offense meant to the amazing RS Team who have taught me so much, but some of us need all the help we can get, lol.) This is excellent for anyone (especially newbies) to SEE what they should have on their computer and phone throughout the process. It's under the Droid Charge Dev Forum but since Odin is for Samsung phones I don't think it should matter which ".tar or "tar.md5" file you use. Please correct me if I'm wrong...

Woot-woot and have fun!

I have not failed--I've just found 10,000 ways that don't work. -Thomas Edison

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    i registered just to say thanks it worked perfect and was easy as u said. finding the tar.md5 file was the hardest part cuz every link is broke. found it thru megaupload tho. my phone was totally screwed but now its just like it was when i first bought it. thanks again!!!
    Ollie likes this.

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    484 times
    Glad you found it useful.

If you ever need to return to stock again. We have a guide with links right here. [HOW TO] Return to Stock (EH03 Gingerbread)

Thank link will put you on the newest gingerbread build.

Rescue Squad

Feel free to pm, with any questions or concerns

Gtalk available upon request

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    do I need the re-partition option ? or only auto reboot and F. reset time ?
    thx

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    92 times
    Quote Originally Posted by kissson View Post
    do I need the re-partition option ? or only auto reboot and F. reset time ?
    thx
    If you're coming back from an MTD ROM then you need the Atlas.pit and re-partition checked, otherwise not.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    I would like to thank ever so much to the person who originally posted this thread i am so delighted having spent the last 2 day yes guys 2 days trying to regain wifi and bluetooth after root without fail until i came accross this post,didnt quite work the way it said i wasnt able to take battery out and do it instead i powered down run odin then held volume down home and power button and came to the screen os to download or cancel on os and it worked with a samsung file i downloaded earlier,I am now back in business and its all thanks to you guys i am so gratefull having only had my new samung s2 for a month,Thanks again guys you rock xxx
    bhfd64, Mujibar and Ollie like this.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    330 times
    Our Rescue Squad guys are the best around!

-Mike
    SDM likes this.
    GSM Galaxy Note 3 (Black) - Straight Stock
    GSM Galaxy Note 2 (Titanium) - Rooted running Jedi X20 Rom
    GSM Galaxy Nexus (Black) - Straight Stock

GSM Samsung Galaxy S3 (Red) - Rooted running Deadly Venom v8.0.1 Rom

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bhfd64 View Post
    If you're coming back from an MTD ROM then you need the Atlas.pit and re-partition checked, otherwise not.
    What happens if I was coming from stock 2.2 Froyo and upgraded to the 2.3 Gingerbread (EH03) and used atlis and did NOT have re-partitioned checked? Seems to work, but have I messed things up for future Rom's?

Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Liked
    299 times
    If flashing a Rom or upgrade, generally you do not need that checked. That is generally essential when returning to stock. In those cases pit is essential. Otherwise you should be OK when hacking.

*** I BE TAPIN! ***
    I cut corners till I break it.
    If I help you break it, I will help you fix it...promise!

99.97% Success Rate
    Devices I have hacked, modded and owned: Original Droid / DX / Fascinate / Charge / TBolt / Razr / Gnex / Xoom / Kindle Fire

Ads