Register

Welcome to the Samsung Galaxy Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Odell Beckhamís contract has serious 2019 cap ramifications

for Giants So Color Rush Kareem Martin Jersey , now that Odell Beckham Jr. has his record-setting mega-contract the question many have is how that deal affects the salary cap for the New York Giants both now and into the future.Yours truly is not a salary cap expert. Iím learning, but I donít know all the ins and outs and the various permutations of the cap. Big Blue View contributor and ĎLocked on Giantsí podcast co-host Patricia Traina is the one around here who really knows the cap. Unfortunately for those of you who donít subscribe ó and for BBV in general ó her astute breakdown of the contractís ramifications for the Giants was published behind the paywall of The Athletic.I can, however, read and understand where the contract will help the Giants and where it will force them to make decisions.There is $41 million that was fully guaranteed at signing, including a $20 million signing bonus, and a total of $65 million guaranteed over the life of the deal. The remaining $21 of the fully guaranteed money will be paid by 2020. Per Over The Cap, here are the annual base salaries in the deal over the next three seasons.2018 ó $1.459 mllion2019 ó $17 million2020 ó $2.541 millionIncluding his pro-rated signing bonus, Beckhamís cap hit jumps from $5.459 million in 2018 to a whopping $21 million in 2019. Thatís 11.1 percent of a projected $190 million cap, behind only the $23.2 million cap number carried by Eli Manning. Next season is what we have to talk about. Because the Giants, with only a projected $12.449 million under that anticipated $190 million cap number and needing to sign Landon Collins long-term, are going to have some gut-wrenching cap decisions to make. That means some high-priced, big-name veteran players could be shown the door. Letís go through some of the possibilities, using the numbers from Over The Cap.Manning ó Yes Authentic Riley Dixon Jersey , we have to start here. He will be 38 next season, and the Giants could save $17 million of that $23.2 million cap hit by cutting him. I have always believed in Manning, always thought many have never appreciated what the Giants have had with him at the helm. Whatever. I also believe this ó no matter how well Manning plays this season if the Giants do not make the playoffs it makes no sense whatsoever for the franchise to continue with him as the quarterback. That would make six of seven seasons of missed playoffs, and zero playoff wins.There are two young and talented quarterbacks ó Davis Webb and Kyle Lauletta ó waiting for an opportunity to prove they can be NFL starters. If the Giants donít make the playoffs it will be time to give them that chance.Olivier Vernon ó The defensive end will be in the fourth season of his five-year, $85 million deal. The last $12 million of his guaranteed $40 million is being paid this season. Vernon is unlikely to go anywhere next season. Sure, the Giants could save $11.5 million against the cap by cutting him. They would, however, carry a massive $8 million is dead money. They arenít doing that.Janoris Jenkins ó Jackrabbit is perhaps the most vulnerable of all of the veterans signed to massive contracts by then-GM Jerry Reese before the 2016 season. He has no guaranteed money remaining to be paid, carries a $13.25 million cap hit next season and the Giants could save $9.25 million by moving on. The selection of Sam Beal in the NFL Supplemental Draft could well have been a sign that the Giants might be planning for a post-Jenkins future at corner.Damon Harrison ó He is the best run-stuffer on the planet, but at 350 or so pounds his knees arenít going to hold up forever. B.J. Hill could be the Giantsí nose tackle of the future. Could that future begin in 2019? Snacks carries an $8.6 million 2019 cap number. The Giants could save $5.4 million while carrying $3.2 million in dead money by parting ways with him.Alec Ogletree ó While many, including yours truly, lauded GM Dave Gettleman for finally paying attention to the linebacker position when he acquired Ogletree from the Los Angeles Rams, this is the new GMís most questionable salary-cap move thus far. Ogletree carries an $11.75 million cap hit next season Youth Evan Engram Jersey , and he really isnít a player who should be chewing up 6.2 percent of a teamís cap. Problem is, the Giants are pretty much stuck with that deal unless they can re-negotiate it. They could save $6.5 million against the cap by cutting him, but being stuck with $5.25 million in dead money is likely prohibitive.Jonathan Stewart ó Yes, there have been tons of questions about why Gettleman signed Stewart in the first place. No, he isnít going anywhere this year. Not with $2.95 million in guaranteed salary, $3.45 million in dead money if the Giants cut him and only a savings $475,000 vs. the cap. Next year is a different story. The Giants could save $2.95 million vs. the cap with only $250,000 in dead money. Thatís why we keep telling you Stewart is really on a one-year deal.Rhett Ellison ó A four-year, $18 million contract was a massive one for a blocking tight end. The Giants would save $3.25 million against the cap and carry $2.5 million in dead money by cutting Ellison before next season. Patrick Omameh ó Even if the veteran guard doesnít play the Giants hope, he probably isnít going anywhere until after the 2019 season. He carries a $6.25 million 2019 cap hit. The Giants could save $3.15 vs. the cap by moving on, but would be stuck with $3.1 million in dead money. New York Giants coach Pat Shurmur on Saturday called B.S. on the idea that he needs to show his players more fight.ďI think thatís a B.S. narrative. I donít understand where that comes from. I think the people that ask those questions really donít know me or how teams function,Ē Shurmur told Michael Eisen of Giants.com. ďI think what theyíre asking Ė are they asking for a temper tantrum from the head coach to make it appear like they care? I think thatís B.S.ĒThe idea from Shurmur having been asked early in the week if, because of the calm exterior he shows the media and the public Landon Collins Jersey , he needs to make sure he shows enough ďfightĒ to his players.Here is what he said then:ďMy team knows my true personality. For me to rant and rave, or say something that can be written and reported about, and me making it about me, I donít think that makes you strong and I donít think that makes anybody think that I care anymore than the players in the locker room. They know my true feelings, and thatís what I care about. Weíll take it from there,Ē Shurmur said. The coach continued to reject that narrative Saturday when he spoke to the media.ďBecause I think itís a ridiculous question. I think youíve been around me enough to know whatís important and things I donít like, and I donít understand what showing that for a less than genuine reason is the way to go,Ē he said. ďThe players know how I feel and when thereís a situation that comes up that I donít feel good about, they know it. Thatís why I think itís a ridiculous question. Got it? And thatís outside noise, too.ĒIím also going to call B.S. on the idea that Shurmur doesnít show enough fire.Tom Coughlin used to do jumping jacks in front of the media. In cold weather, his nose would turn red on the sidelines. He used to blister officials and gesticulate wildly. If he was angry at a player or miffed by something that happened during a game, he showed it.That didnít make him a better coach. It just made him who he was.The work that won him two Super Bowls and may eventually land him in the Hall of Fame was never done in front of the media. It was done behind the scenes, in the locker room Authentic Jon Halapio Jersey , on the practice field, in the lunch room with players, grinding film and working with his coaches.Shurmur isnít as demonstrative as Coughlin. He isnít as loud. He hasnít gone down the Ben McAdoo road of blaming players and making the story about him. He just continues to work. Continues to believe in the process. Continues to believe the Giants are on the right path, and doing the work the right way.There is some steel behind the calm, generally helpful demeanor he shows the media.A little of it can be found in this remark:ďIím well aware of competition and how this works. I played in the trenches, I was an overachiever. I get that, but I also know that as an adult sometimes, you donít just do it and say whatever the heck you want. This is about team-building and trying to do this the right way, and along the way weíve got to win more games and I am aware of that.ĒCatch the ďtrying to do this the right way?Ē Thatís a Shurmur staple. A right way and a wrong way. Building a team. Some of that steel showed when Shurmur fined Odell Beckham Jr. for his ESPN remarks. Standing up to Beckham is something neither Coughlin nor McAdoo ever did. The steel has shown in his resolve to build a better locker room culture. In his constant ďjust keep playingĒ refrain as things have gone south at the beginning of his Giantsí tenure. The back-biting, bickering and lack of discipline that plagued the Giants last season are gone.Itís just that the victories havenít come yet.ĎItís a tough situation for everybody, but I think heís [Shurmur] handled it well. Trying to stay calm. Heís leading this team, and pushing guys every day to get better Ė to stay the course and keep fighting. Everybody just make small improvements,Ē said quarterback Eli Manning. ďYou see the passion Cheap Evan Engram Jersey , you know thereís passion and hard work. Heís not throwing chairs, heís not screaming and yelling at everybody. He has his own way of motivating guys. I think heís done a good job of just kind of handling the pulse of this team and keeping us together, and I think thatís the most important thing.ĒIím reminded that Joe Gibbs went 0-5 at the beginning of his tenure with Washington. That Bill Parcells almost got fired when he went 3-12-1 as a rookie coach for the Giants. That Jimmy Johnson went 1-15 his first year as coach of the Dallas Cowboys. That Bill Belichick got fired by the Cleveland Browns, like Shurmur, and went 5-11 his first season with the New England Patriots.I donít know if Shurmur will succeed or fail as Giantsí head coach. Whether he does or not will be decided by whether or not he and GM Dave Gettleman can find the right players, make sure those players buy into what the coach and GM are selling, and whether or not Shurmur and his coaches can put those players in positions to succeed more often than not.It wonít have anything to do with how much fire he shows to the media during press conferences or how much he argues with officials during games.

2. Ads

Remove Ads

Ads