Register

Welcome to the Samsung Galaxy Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Madison Bumgarner’s line from his exhibition debut didn’t look good

SCOTTSDALE Fernando Rodney Jersey , Ariz. (AP) — but the pitcher and San Francisco Giants manager Bruce Bochy weren’t daunted.“It’s been five months since I’ve faced a hitter,” Bumgarner said Sunday. “I’d say that’s the best I’ve felt, especially in a first spring outing, in quite some time.”Bumgarner was sharp in the first inning and retired the Chicago Cubs in order on eight pitches. He failed, however, to retire any of the six batters he faced in a 29-pitch second inning and all six eventually scored.Kyle Schwarber doubled to open the second and Addison Russell singled before Bumgarner hit David Bote on the helmet with a pitch to load the bases. Bote dropped to one knee but was able to walk off under his own power.“It was a weird play because the ball was not on top of him,” Giants catcher Rene Rivera said. “It looked like his head was over the plate and that’s when it hit it. It squared him up pretty good. He lost his balance and I tried to hold him a little bit.”Bote was examined by the Giants medical staff and was to be checked by the Cubs staff at the team’s facility.“Obviously, I don’t want to do that,” Bumgarner said. “That’s terrible. … I’m pretty good at compartmentalizing stuff and moving on to the next thing. That didn’t affect me. I am sorry for it.”Bumgarner gave up three more hits — although two were groundballs on plays that should’ve been made — before he was lifted.“He got ahead and allowed two-strike hits, a couple plays we didn’t make,” Bochy said. “It was one of those Cactus League innings. I was very pleased with where he was with his stuff. He got ground balls and they hit the hole a couple times. Overall, he got us where he could and felt great.”The 29-year-old Bumgarner is coming off back-to-back seasons in which he was slowed by injuries, making 17 starts in 2017 and 21 last year. He suffered a fractured left hand last March when he was hit by a line drive and said he’s fully recovered from that injury and his grip feels strong. The radar gun showed one of his fastballs at 93 mph, which also is encouraging.“I felt really good,” Bumgarner said. “My command in the zone could be a little better and it’s going to get better as we go here. For the first day, I was pretty excited about it. I felt good. A little tough luck with some ground balls there being just out of reach of some guys. It’s weird to say but I”m not concerned about that at all. It’s about how you feel, how you bounce back after the first inning and getting your work in.”“He wanted to keep the ball on the ground and he did,” Rivera said. “He did exactly what we wanted. It was good placement for them.”Rivera knows a little about Bumgarner from his few at-bats against the 2014 World Series MVP.“The last time I remember facing him was 2016 in the wild-card game and I was with the Mets,” Rivera said. “He did a hell of a job, complete game. When it comes to an important game http://www.twinsfanproshop.com/authentic-max-kepler-jersey , he’s going to be there.”Bumgarner threw a four-hit complete game in the Giants’ win over the Mets, with Rivera getting one of those hits. The catcher also hit a three-run homer off Bumgarner on April 28, 2014, in the fifth inning of a 6-4 Padres win over the Giants.But that’s in the past. On Sunday, Rivera and Bumgarner were on the same team.“He’s a pretty simple guy,” Rivera said. “He just attacks the zone. Let’s see what he’s going to do.”NOTES: Pablo Sandoval tweaked his side during Saturday’s workout and will be shut down for a couple days, Bochy said. … Joe Panik went 3 for 3, including a solo home run in the third, in the Giants’ 9-5 loss to the Cubs. “I felt comfortable right from the first at-bat,” Panik said. “Obviously, it’s always a process in spring training but I was feeling a good rhythm at the plate, and that’s all you can ask for.” … Buster Posey is not expected to catch until March 1 but could get at-bats as the designated hitter before that. Posey is coming off surgery to address a hip impingement and repair a torn labrum. He was expected to be ready by opening day. MIAMI — The Miami Marlins, dead last in the major leagues in attendance, conclude their 2018 home schedule Sunday against the Cincinnati Reds.The Marlins, who are averaging just over 9,000 fans per game, trail the next-worst team, the Tampa Bay Rays, by more than 200,000 in total attendance.Miami’s 2018 attendance is the worst by a major league team since the Expos’ final season in Montreal in 2004.Article continues below ...Sunday’s home finale likely won’t draw big numbers either as the Marlins (61-93) have the worst win-loss record in the National League, and the Reds (66-90) are also a last-place team.In addition Joe Mauer Jersey , the Marlins will have to compete with the NFL as the Miami Dolphins — off to a promising start at 2-0 — will host the Oakland Raiders on Sunday. The Marlins and the Dolphins are set to start at 1 p.m. ET.Meanwhile, Marlins CEO Derek Jeter has indicated that manager Don Mattingly will be allowed to return in 2019 to fulfill the final season of his four-year contract.“Is he going to be back in 2019?” Jeter said when asked. “He’s under contract, so yeah.”Jeter, who was used to winning or at least competing for World Series titles during his days as a New York Yankees shortstop, is having to preach patience with this Marlins team.“Where we are starting from, the only way to go is up,” Jeter said. “This is a transitional year for us to learn as much as possible about the organization.”In Sunday’s game, Miami will start rookie right-hander Trevor Richards (3-9, 4.95 ERA). Cincinnati gives the ball to right-hander Michael Lorenzen (3-1, 3.03).Richards, who has struck 113 batters in 112 2/3 innings, is known for his changeup, which often gets swings and misses down in the zone.However, he has not won a game since he beat the Philadelphia Phillies on July 14.In three starts this month, he is 0-2 with an 11.12 ERA.Meanwhile, Lorenzen broke into the majors in 2015, pitching in 27 games (21 starts) and posting a 4-9 record with a 5.40 ERA.But Lorenzen was strictly a reliever in 2016, when he posted a 2-1 record and a 2.88 ERA, and again last year (8-4, 4.45 ERA).This year, Lorenzen was again a reliever for his first 42 appearances Glen Perkins Jersey , but in his only start, he allowed one hit, one walk and one run (unearned) in four innings against the Milwaukee Brewers on Tuesday.It was his first start after having made 151 consecutive relief appearances.“I’ve been saying, ‘Give me a chance! Give me a chance!'” Lorenzen said after his Reds beat the Brewers 3-1. “They gave me a chance against a good lineup, and I was excited. It was like, ‘Man, I better step up’.”Lorenzen, 26, did just that, striking out three batters, inducing weak contact and getting Brewers batters to expand the zone.Lorenzen, a native of Anaheim, Calif., was the 38th overall pick in the 2014 MLB Draft, selected by the Reds out of Cal State Fullerton.At 6 feet 3, 215 pounds, Lorenzen can muscle up his fastball, which averages an impressive 95 mph.He has a 2.63 ERA this month overall and a 2.62 ERA on the road for the season — two trends that could bode well for him Sunday.

2. Ads

Remove Ads

Ads