Register

Welcome to the Samsung Galaxy Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    13 times

Apple Legal Rampage; Threatens GetJar over "App Store"; Files 2nd Infringement vs HTC

If you were a lawyer working for Apple right now, you would probably both love and hate them; Love them, because of all the money you are making from them, and hate them because of all the endless work they are making you do. You can add two new targets to the legal onslaught coming from the rampaging fruit. Apple has just threatened a lawsuit against GetJar, a 3rd party app store, for using "app store", just like they did with Amazon, telling them to "stop using 'Apps Store'". Luckily, the "little company that could" will not bow to Apple's demands and flatly said, "No." GetJar have decided to stand up to what they call Apple's "bullying". It's almost surprising that Apple is pursuing these legal actions over the term "App Store", because their trademark of it is still being contested by Microsoft in a USPTO case that is still unsettled at this time. And, of course, they are still fighting it out in court with Amazon for the same issue, and even had a legal setback in the case recently.

Regardless, it appears that the fruit will do what the fruit does, and they aren't stopping there with their legal shenanigans. Apparently, Apple has also filed a 2nd ITC patent infringement complaint against HTC over (publicly) unspecified devices, and seeks to block the import of "personal electronic devices" by HTC. There is no comment from HTC regarding this yet, and, although their previous case with Apple regarding similar issues hasn't been decided yet, it should be finished by August 5th. Perhaps we will know something more then. This is almost precisely what they are doing with Samsung too.

I am not one to become a fan-boy, or anti-fan-boy, of one company over another. I tend to follow the technology that impresses me the most, even if it comes from a competitor. I admit, that there are several devices from Apple that are very impressive, but when it comes to stuff like this, it really makes me scratch my head. I am all for a company protecting their intellectual property rights, but from the beginning of this, the idea that Apple could trademark something as generic as "app store" just seemed... unjust. When does Apple need to take a step back and reevaluate how their behavior makes them look in the public eye? At what point does "protecting your IP" become "abusing the legal system for strategic market advantage"? Right now, it just seems like Apple is picking on everybody and everything "just because they can." Apple's PR people should rein in the legal department before they irreparably damage the company's reputation, if they haven't already.

As consumers we really shouldn't desire to see Apple fail in any way. Even if we choose to purchase competing products to Apple, the fact that they are innovative helps push their competitors to make better products. This "cycle" benefits consumers in the long run by continuously evolving the technology, and keeping prices down. Our Androids are better and cheaper because Apple exists. Although I doubt that this negative legal "junk" will actually impact Apple in a big way in the long run, consumers are a fickle bunch, and you just never know what could really destroy a company. It wasn't that long ago that Apple was almost bankrupt. It would not be a good thing to see that again. Share your thoughts.

You can see GetJar's Blog on the subject, here.

Source: Engadget and AndroidPolice

2. Ads

Member #
    Liked
    542 times
    Competition is what drives free enterprise. Frivolous lawsuits just suck the life out of it.

Tapatalk'd

Member #
    Liked
    53 times
    Twitter
    Paul_gyver
    I see panic in Apple's eyes as the Android invasion continues....

Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Liked
    299 times
    Man, if Jobs invented the Model T car...we would have never had other car models as he threw his little hissy fits all over the industrial revolution. Glad his brush with death put things into perspective. ;|
    I cut corners till I break it.
    If I help you break it, I will help you fix it...promise!

99.97% Success Rate
    Devices I have hacked, modded and owned: Original Droid / DX / Fascinate / Charge / TBolt / Razr / Gnex / Xoom / Kindle Fire

Member #
    Liked
    542 times
    Man, I have GOT to find a sarcasm emoticon for this site!

Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Wow... lol, sometimes I think Jobs is just bored and thinks his lawyers need a tune up.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    It's like Trump trying to get rights to "You're Fired!" Freaking insane.

They should realize even though GetJar's app store says "app store" most of Americans have never even heard of them. Now that I've heard of them I'm going to check it out. :-)

Makes me sick that these rich PR!CKS can spend all that money on being greedy arsebags by suing everyone. Save your money Apple or send me a check for having to read about all your bull crap.

Apple must be bored or out of new Apple ideas so they are occupying their Apple focus on these dumb Apple lawsuits. Apple apple apple. OK, we hear and see you now....for a second. Now back to my Android.

Posted from my MIUI Fascinate
    The Following User Says Thank You to soccerdon1981 For This Useful Post:
    Error414: No Useful Post Found

Remove Ads

Ads