Register

Welcome to the Samsung Galaxy Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Samsung Function for Verizon -- can't wait

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    This will be my next phone as long as it has the Tegra 2 CPU and not the Samsung one that is in some GSII's sold outside the USA. Also, I do not want the phone if they have gone and butchered the form factor (look of the device) to make it "carrier specific". I will only consider it if it is the same exact size and dimensions as the device sold now across the globe. I know in the past this has happened with Samsung phones, specifically the Galaxy S, which came to some carriers as a horrid looking brick of a phone; coincidentally nothing like what the real Galaxy S was for the rest of the world. My personal opinion is that that donkey-hole Steve Jobs influenced Verizon and other carriers to force Samsung to change the look of the device because in its original form, its major competition for the iPhone. In fact, my personal opinion is that Apple, its influence, and their lawsuit against Samsung, is the reason this phone is not selling in the USA right now.

I don't care about 4g for the following reasons:

1) I own a Droid X and have 3g unlimited data. Verizon told me that their CS rep who posted on Twitter that people with 3g unlimited data could get 4g unlimited grandfathered is incorrect. If you currently have 4g unlimited then you will keep your 4g unlimited [grandfathered] but if you currently have 3g unlimited, if you want to get 4g you will have to go to a pay per use data plan. Screw that. I was told if I buy a 4g phone then I can keep my 3g unlimited plan but the phone will never connect to 4g as that would require a plan change, and thus no more unlimited data.

2) Even though the area I live in has 4g coverage, its still very limited and will be for a few years. Looking at the coverage map (linked below) only the areas with the brown shading (NOT red) have 4g. Keeping in mind that Verizon has been building this network for several years now, at their current pace we will not see even remotely decent 4g coverage for quite some time. Currently 3g does what I need it to do (stream movies, music, download photos and surf the web) at a reasonable speed. The times where I really need the extra bandwidth I am usually around Wi-Fi and thus its not really a concern. In fact, those times that I might need the speed and I would not be around Wi-Fi, I will most likely not be in a current 4g coverage area anyway so it would not do me any good.

3) If all goes to plan I will hopefully be moving out of the state I live in now to one that is very rural, and thus will not be seeing 4g anytime soon where I will (hopefully) be living. We'll see how things go but if the moving plan happens, I am almost guaranteed to be no longer be living in an area with 4g coverage and won't have 4g coverage in that area for quite some time.

Keeping in mind that Verizon has screwed us (Go die in a fire Steve Jobs, its YOUR fault) and taken away our early upgrades, I expect to have this phone for two years. I was also told by several Verizon supervisors and confirmed by a store manager that Verizon corporate informed them the company was phasing out 1 year pricing plans on all upcoming phones. In the case of the Verizon manager, she has been banging my buddy for the past year so I consider her "inside info" to be as truthful as you can get. If Verizon does not offer a 1 year contract, and early upgrades no longer exist, the next phone I buy is going to have to last two years. Even if there is a 1 year contract offered as a possibility, for me to use that last early upgrade I am going to have to sign a two year contract (per every two/early upgrade TOS) or find a way to argue that their TOS is not fair as they are forcing me to go from yearly upgrades to every two years. I was told "they would work with me" if things came down to that, but with the change coming that eliminates 1 year pricing plans, its not going to matter anymore.

When looking at Verizons timeline for 4g coverage, I expect its going to take at least two more years before we see worthwhile "nation wide" (IE: Most places) 4g coverage. This phone is a powerhouse, so I don't see too much of a problem keeping it for the full two year contract. In the past I would never keep a phone that long but so far my Droid X has kept up with the times and its now a year old. I figure I could probably get another six months out of the thing before I would consider it obsolete, so the SGII with its 1gb ram and duel core processor should get me through a full two years. That is after all twice the ram and cpu that came with my Droid X.

Verizon Coverage Map: https://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/...datacoverage4g

EDIT: Member number 4000 on the dot! Do I win a cookie? ; )
    Last edited by Thalinor; 08-07-2011 at 10:28 PM.

2. Ads

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Congrats Thal on being member #4000 and welcome to the site!
    Join the largest and best Samsung Galaxy Forum today for free - Register Now!
    Samsung Galaxy Forum
    & Samsung Galaxy S2 Forum (Samsung Galaxy S II Forum)

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    i want it and i want it now!

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Seriously feels like I've been waiting a decade for this phone. Pretty stoked to say the least.

CR6
    Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    328 times
    Look who decided to pop in. Nice to see you Dustin!

tap'n

"Guidelines of Conduct" for Galaxyforums.net

Any questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to PM me.

Member #
    Liked
    542 times
    Exactly what I was thinking! Wassup, D!!

Tapatalk'd

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I joined this forum specifically to reply to Thalinor's post! It kills me to see that s/he was given misinformation!

Get 4g. Your data will remain unlimited for the same $29.99. And when you travel to 4g coverage areas, you will get 4g speeds.

I know from what I speak! Please call verizon customer service again.

BTW, I wake up every single morning to see if there is news on a release date for the Function. Hoping Aug 12th (tomorrow) will be a banner day...........but internet rumor release date info seems to always, always, always be wrong.

CR6
    Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    328 times
    Welcome to the forum flyfishergal!
    I kinda agree with you......for the most part, one has to take internet rumors regarding "yet to be released" smartphones with a grain of salt. There will always be something bigger and better on the horizon, so the best thing to do is enjoy what you have for now and don't buy into all the "release date rumors" floating around out there.
    Enjoy the forum!

"Guidelines of Conduct" for Galaxyforums.net

Any questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to PM me.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I know.. I love my fascinate; I love my Galaxy Tablet 7". . The Aug 31 DATE is crucial for me for several reasons! I already purchased my charging mat for whatever 4g LTE phone I get.... and I don't want anything but an S2 with LTE.

Great forum!
    Last edited by flyfishergal; 08-11-2011 at 09:25 AM.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads