Register

Welcome to the Samsung Galaxy Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Adding Custom Tone/Notification for Texts

I finally ditched BB for a Galaxy S2 and love it, so far.

Can someone tell me if it's possible, and if so, how to do it, to add a custom tone/notification for text messages?? I can change the phone ringtones to a custom tone but not texts or emails.
    I know how to change it to one of the default tones but I want to import some custom tones and can't figure out how to add the ones I have saved.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Constructr; 12-10-2011 at 03:01 PM.

2. Ads

Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Liked
    253 times
    Launch a file explorer like My Files (it came preloaded on the phone).
    You should be in the default Home directory of /sdcard (do not confuse this with your external sdcard).
    Create a folder named media (all lowercase letters) by selecting Menu, Create Folder.
    Open the media folder and create a folder named audio (all lowercase letters).
    Open the audio folder and create a folder named notifications (all lowercase letters).

While you are in the audio folder create another folder called ringtones (all lowercase letters) and one named alarms (all lowercase letters). This way you can customize everything to your liking by copying and pasting the music to each respective folder either while the phone is connected to your computer or using the file manager on your phone.

You will end up with:
    /sdcard/media/audio/alarms
    /sdcard/media/audio/notifications
    /sdcard/media/audio/ringtones

To change the messaging tone afterwards,
    Launch the messaging app and ensure that you are on the main page of the app that lists all of your convos.
    Select Menu
    Select Settings
    Scroll all the way down and select Select Ringtone.

Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Liked
    253 times
    Alternatively you can download an app like Zedge and it will give you the option of Zedge when you go to change the notification sound. The only downfall with that method is that you will be stuck with whatever you downloaded from Zedge. It is one of my favorite apps.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Ollie View Post
    Launch a file explorer like My Files (it came preloaded on the phone).
    You should be in the default Home directory of /sdcard (do not confuse this with your external sdcard).
    Create a folder named media (all lowercase letters) by selecting Menu, Create Folder.
    Open the media folder and create a folder named audio (all lowercase letters).
    Open the audio folder and create a folder named notifications (all lowercase letters).

While you are in the audio folder create another folder called ringtones (all lowercase letters) and one named alarms (all lowercase letters). This way you can customize everything to your liking by copying and pasting the music to each respective folder either while the phone is connected to your computer or using the file manager on your phone.

You will end up with:
    /sdcard/media/audio/alarms
    /sdcard/media/audio/notifications
    /sdcard/media/audio/ringtones

To change the messaging tone afterwards,
    Launch the messaging app and ensure that you are on the main page of the app that lists all of your convos.
    Select Menu
    Select Settings
    Scroll all the way down and select Select Ringtone.
    I tried that and no luck. My phone already had the "media" file. However, I simply copied the sound I had downloaded and pasted it in to the default notification folder and it worked! Thanks!

Ads