Register

Welcome to the Samsung Galaxy Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Retired officer asks Supreme Court to curb legal immunity for police

For more than two decades, Jose Oliva built a career in federal law enforcement busting bad guys for money laundering and narcotics. After he retired, during a trip to the dentist in 2016, Oliva was the one getting busted up at the hands of federal police.

"This big guy grabbed ติดตั้ง slotxo iosmy left hand and with his two hands, he jerked my arm as high as he could. Almost simultaneously, as this guy was jerking my arm, he put a chokehold on my throat very hard, very hurtful," Oliva. said of the incident at the El Paso, Texas, VA hospital. "I told them I can - I cannot breathe, let me go. I cannot breathe."

Oliva, now 76, a Vietnam War veteran and longtime VA patient, underwent two surgeries to repair injuries sustained after officers forcefully arrested him at a security screening checkpoint following a dispute over his ID.

"The officer asked for me IDů I told them my VA card, my ID is in the bin," he recalled, "and for whatever reasons, he did not like that answer." The officers, who dispute that account, cited Oliva with disorderly conduct; the charge was later dismissed.

As the nation wrestles with high-profile cases of police excessive force, Oliva is asking the US Supreme Court to curb longstanding legal protections that have shielded local, state and federal officers from claims for damages over their actions.

2. Ads

Remove Ads

Ads