Register

Welcome to the Samsung Galaxy Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: No Caller ID Incoming SMS

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

No Caller ID Incoming SMS

Really desperate for help with what seems to be a unique problem. I have no caller ID on incoming SMS's, not even a number comes up so I can't press the reply button. Incoming and outgoing calls both have caller ID and also the person receiving an SMS from me gets my ID. In what might be a related issue if I try using another app to send SMS's they won't send at all for some reason. I have tried a factory reset (as it wasn't happening when I initially used the phone) and this failed to rectify the problem. I have a Gallaxy SII E120 HD LTE which I think is only still available for retail in South Korea, apart from this issue it seems a fantastic phone. Please help me if you can, I have completely run out of ideas!

2. Ads

Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Liked
    253 times
    It sounds like you are not using the proper CSC, APN, for whichever carrier you are with. I am running the International SGS2 GT-i9100 on AT&T's network and have everything working fine with the exception of SMS timestamps. If the phone is on then they are stamped properly. If I receive an SMS when my phone is off then the timestamp is labeled for the time that I restarted my phone.

Swapping CSCs requires rooting your phone and using a multi-csc or a specific carrier branded csc.

Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Liked
    253 times
    Just reread your post. I would try to do a factory wipe using Samsung Kies on your computer or use Odin on the computer to flash your original firmware. Somewhere along the line something has been broken since you say it has worked before.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Ok will do thanks Ollie. Before I do so one small question. Is there a way to back up the apps that have been installed on my phone. When I tried the factory reset (through the function offered on the phone) it took along time to track down and reinstall the apps I had on there previously.

Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Liked
    253 times
    Samsung Kies will back up your apps, but I highly recommend the app called Appsaver. It will save all of your apps installation files (apks) to a folder that you can access with any file manager(My files, ES Explorer, Astro, etc) which you can copy over to your external sdcard or computer. It doesn't save any of their data, but it keeps me from having to hunt down any free apps that I had. Google will try to automatically reinstall any paid apps when you log in on the freshly restored phone.

I am not sure of the rooting process for your phone, but if you do root it then you will open up the option to use Titanium Backup and CWM. Titanium will save all of your .apks and their data from which you can restore from later. Rooting will also let you install unofficial Samsung updates (unofficial meaning it may not have been made available for your region, but is available for other regions), multi-csc packages, modems, and developer roms.

CWM will allow you to do a complete system image backup(a nandroid) which, if restored from, will return your phone to the saved state including apps, Widgets, contacts, SMS's etc etc. It is very much like creating a restore point in windows.
    Last edited by Ollie; 02-04-2012 at 10:31 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Thanks heaps I really appreciate it!! Will try it within the next couple of days (really busy at the moment) and let you know how it goes. You have presented some really helpful solutions.....you know your stuff it seems. I hope they work out. Thanks again Ollie.
    Ollie likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    542 times
    Quote Originally Posted by exasper12 View Post
    You have presented some really helpful solutions.....you know your stuff it seems.
    That's why he's on the Rescue Squad.

Tap'd from my GNex
    Ollie and UltraDroid like this.

Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Liked
    253 times
    After doing some reading here: [Q] Galaxy S ii lte HD E120L/S Root/Roms?! - Page 4 - xda-developers there appear to be two Korean versions. One has a Korean provider locked baseband and the other doesn't. Meaning one has issues with SMS and one doesn't.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Yup, just read the links and it seems to be the same problem. As an absolute amatuer however I am non the wiser as to how to solve the problem. I have the E120L which does look to be related to the LG U+ lock. I don't know how to root the phone as you suggested earlier (maybe you could tell me how, and how i can sovle the problem by doing this). I can receive caller id using the handcent sms but cannot send sms's using this app. I can send msgs using the generic program but as others mentioned in the link you gave I can only use limited characters (as soon as you reach 80 characters it changes to an MMS) and it seems that an English character is worth 2 Korean characters) if you have any instructions on how to work around this I would love to give it a try.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    OMG!!! I have the exact same model and have the exact problem!! Glad to know I am not alone out there at least. I also tried Handcent - it'd be able to distinguish the senders of the sms, but can't send!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads