Register

Welcome to the Samsung Galaxy Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Samsung galaxy s2 hangs on restart after automatic firmware update!! :(

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I received a software update this morning. It downloaded the package requested for a restart, upon restart noticed the android screen doing updates once and it stuck on "samsung galaxy s2 GT-I9100G".

Mine is an unlocked phone purchased in India.

2. Ads

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by CR6 View Post
    Welcome to the forum.
    I noticed you posted the same question in 4 different topics. Please don't cross post. (I've deleted the other 3). Please check your inbox.
    Thank you & have a great day!
    cr6 - forum staff

tap'n
    sorry about that..im new to forums...
    can anyone pls help me with this problem..

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jyotika View Post
    sorry about that..im new to forums...
    can anyone pls help me with this problem..
    I faced the same problem and after a lot of tries got it fixed by going through the steps outlined for manual firmware update. The process was successful only when I used the firmware version that was listed specific for India. I have given a quick re-cap of the steps
    1. Download the I9100 Galaxy S2 XWLS8 firmware file from Firmwares | SamMobile - . Save the file on your PC and extract its contents into a single folder. I was not able to get the International version working. The version I downloaded from this site (after selecting India) worked.
    2. Download ODIN3 v3.07 from Download Odin 3.07. Extract its contents and save them in the same folder as the stock Android 4.1.2 ROM.
    3. Power off your smartphone by removing its battery for 5 seconds.
    4. Boot it now into Download Mode. It can be done by pressing at the same time ‘Volume Down’, ‘Home’ and ‘Power’. Release the buttons when the screen powers ON.
    5. Next, launch Odin 3.07 executable with Admin rights.
    6. Connect the Galaxy S2 to your computer using the USB cable. ODIN should display the ‘Added!!’ confirmation message. Get to the next step. NOTE: If the confirmation text isn’t displayed by ODIN, then you will be forced to try another USB port or to re-install the Samsung USB drivers. Make sure that KIES software is disabled / uninstalled.
    7. In Odin, click PDA button and then you will have to browse for the ‘I9100GDDLS3_I9100GODDLS3_I9100GDDLS2_HOME.tar’. It’s the file you extracted at step 1. Load it into ODIN.
    8. Now, make sure that the ‘Re-partition’ option is disabled and that the ‘Auto Reboot’ and F.Reset Time options are enabled. Don’t change any other default settings.
    9. Press the START button to begin the installation of Android 4.1.2 Update for your Galaxy S2 device.
    10. When the install process is complete you will notice that the phone restarts. ODIN will show the ‘PASS’ message and you can unplug the phone from PC when the Samsung boot animation logo is disaplyed.
    11. Wait for the first boot process with this new stock Android 4.1.2 ROM to complete and then you can begin testing the new OS.
    12. If you get some annoying error messages like process "android.xxx" failed after the phone restarts - Power Off the Phone. Press Volume Up + Home + Power button to enter the recovery mode - Clear the cache and data, restart the phone (Not necessary to do a re-install)
    13. If you had used google contacts and google sync - most of your contacts, calendar, apps should be listed. Obviously you will be losing out on the messages and your custom settings.
    KSK
    jyotika and grenefroggie like this.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    hey thanks a lot...its a long process..ill try it and let u know wat happens..thank u soo much for takin so much trouble to write this down..

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    151 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jyotika View Post
    Phone stuck on - samsung galaxy s2 GT-I9100G after software update
    MODEL NO- GT-I9100G
    CARRIER - AIRTEL
    COUNTRY - INDIA
    android version- 4.0.4

I received a software update today morning..it downloaded the package but once it started to install the phone is stuck on "samsung galaxy s2 GT-I9100G"
    I tried taking off the battery for sometime n restarting the phone but it doesnt work..

PLS help me to get back my phone to normal but I DONT WANT TO LOSE ANY DATA..is it possible ??
    One thing we can do is try to clear the cache. It seems when Android phones receive updates, certain useful steps are missed that can prevent this kind of issue.

For accessing recovery mode on the GS II GT-I9100G follow these steps:

How To Access Recovery Mode:
    • Button Combo - While device is powered off, press and hold the up volume key, then the home key, then the power key (all simultaneously). When the screen comes on with the white text, continue holding home and volume up keys, but release power key. When you've entered recovery, you can let go of all keys.
    From there your phone should enter recovery. There should be an option to clear the cache. Select the option to do so. It will let you know when it is done. Reboot the phone and see if it comes up.

If this does not work, the only way you will be able to get your phone functioning again is to factory reset you phone. It is likely that the update you applied brought your phone to Android version 4.1.1 (or newer). Android 4.0.3/4 does not always play well with 4.1.1 when it is updated. To do a factory rest on your phone (all data will be lost, you will have to download all of your apps again, and anything that isn't on an external SD card will also be lost). Anything on the SD card should still be there, but if you feel the need, you can always take it out before performing these steps.

Quote Originally Posted by hisaibye View Post
    I received a software update this morning. It downloaded the package requested for a restart, upon restart noticed the android screen doing updates once and it stuck on "samsung galaxy s2 GT-I9100G".

Mine is an unlocked phone purchased in India.
    Follow the steps I listed above for jyotika and let me know how it turns out.

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    151 times
    Quote Originally Posted by hisaibye View Post
    I faced the same problem and after a lot of tries got it fixed by going through the steps outlined for manual firmware update. The process was successful only when I used the firmware version that was listed specific for India. I have given a quick re-cap of the steps
    1. Download the I9100 Galaxy S2 XWLS8 firmware file from Firmwares | SamMobile - . Save the file on your PC and extract its contents into a single folder. I was not able to get the International version working. The version I downloaded from this site (after selecting India) worked.
    2. Download ODIN3 v3.07 from Download Odin 3.07. Extract its contents and save them in the same folder as the stock Android 4.1.2 ROM.
    3. Power off your smartphone by removing its battery for 5 seconds.
    4. Boot it now into Download Mode. It can be done by pressing at the same time ‘Volume Down’, ‘Home’ and ‘Power’. Release the buttons when the screen powers ON.
    5. Next, launch Odin 3.07 executable with Admin rights.
    6. Connect the Galaxy S2 to your computer using the USB cable. ODIN should display the ‘Added!!’ confirmation message. Get to the next step. NOTE: If the confirmation text isn’t displayed by ODIN, then you will be forced to try another USB port or to re-install the Samsung USB drivers. Make sure that KIES software is disabled / uninstalled.
    7. In Odin, click PDA button and then you will have to browse for the ‘I9100GDDLS3_I9100GODDLS3_I9100GDDLS2_HOME.ta r’. It’s the file you extracted at step 1. Load it into ODIN.
    8. Now, make sure that the ‘Re-partition’ option is disabled and that the ‘Auto Reboot’ and F.Reset Time options are enabled. Don’t change any other default settings.
    9. Press the START button to begin the installation of Android 4.1.2 Update for your Galaxy S2 device.
    10. When the install process is complete you will notice that the phone restarts. ODIN will show the ‘PASS’ message and you can unplug the phone from PC when the Samsung boot animation logo is disaplyed.
    11. Wait for the first boot process with this new stock Android 4.1.2 ROM to complete and then you can begin testing the new OS.
    12. If you get some annoying error messages like process "android.xxx" failed after the phone restarts - Power Off the Phone. Press Volume Up + Home + Power button to enter the recovery mode - Clear the cache and data, restart the phone (Not necessary to do a re-install)
    13. If you had used google contacts and google sync - most of your contacts, calendar, apps should be listed. Obviously you will be losing out on the messages and your custom settings.
    KSK
    You beat me to it, I didn't refresh my browser before I answered.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Hi, I am facing a similar freezing issue on my phone. I am using a Galaxy SII GT-I9100G model. i think it was on ice cream sandwich. it is an unlocked model. bought it in India, but using in US (WA) now. I am using it with a prepaid sim plan on T-Mobile. On the morning of 14th April I received an update message. I accepted and ran the update. after a few minutes the phone showed a message that it needs to restart. It rebooted, and since then it is frozen on the start up screen, having the white glowing logo of Galaxy SII. I have tried pulling out and reinserting the battery several time, but it is not working. please help me figure this out. I went through the previous answers but want to make sure which response applies to the combination of device-geography-operator in my case. also, is it possible to save the data, in case the phone needs to be factory reset - at least the contacts. before running the update I backed up the contacts into some usbstorage location in the phone, but could not find where it was exactly stored.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by grenefroggie View Post
    One thing we can do is try to clear the cache. It seems when Android phones receive updates, certain useful steps are missed that can prevent this kind of issue.

For accessing recovery mode on the GS II GT-I9100G follow these steps:

How To Access Recovery Mode:
    • Button Combo - While device is powered off, press and hold the up volume key, then the home key, then the power key (all simultaneously). When the screen comes on with the white text, continue holding home and volume up keys, but release power key. When you've entered recovery, you can let go of all keys.
    From there your phone should enter recovery. There should be an option to clear the cache. Select the option to do so. It will let you know when it is done. Reboot the phone and see if it comes up.

If this does not work, the only way you will be able to get your phone functioning again is to factory reset you phone. It is likely that the update you applied brought your phone to Android version 4.1.1 (or newer). Android 4.0.3/4 does not always play well with 4.1.1 when it is updated. To do a factory rest on your phone (all data will be lost, you will have to download all of your apps again, and anything that isn't on an external SD card will also be lost). Anything on the SD card should still be there, but if you feel the need, you can always take it out before performing these steps.

Follow the steps I listed above for jyotika and let me know how it turns out.
    there is no option like "clear cache"

it says "wipe cache partition"
    and "apply update from cache"
    which one of the two??

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    and also pls tell me how to get out of this recovery mode incase i dont wanna choose any option?

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    i tried clearing cache using 'wipe cache partition'... it didn't work.

Ads