Register

Welcome to the Samsung Galaxy Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Problems with Auto Brightess and Proximity Sensor

Hi. I recently had a mishap where I accidentally poured some water on my S2. Initially the phone was messed up for a couple of hours - call volume was barely audible, the screen wouldn't respond etc. I took out the battery and SIM card and let it dry. Everything else went back to normal overnight, but the auto brightness sensor stopped working. It doesn't change brightness at all. In fact, when I use the widget to toggle between different brightness modes (low, medium, full, auto), Auto is just a constant level like the others, and a tiny bit brighter than Full. I thought that was really weird even if the problem was caused by water.

Another thing is the proximity sensor, which doesn't do anything either. I need to manually switch off the screen when I raise the phone to my ear.

Any ideas to work on this? I still sort of hope that some of this is due to recent updates. Would it help to do some kind of a factory settings reset? I've naturally tried restarting, and also fully shutting down.

PS. Disclaimer: The water wasn't even my fault. :P What's interesting though is that the water amount wasn't that much, and still got these problems. A long time ago the same happened and I managed to tip a whole full glass all RIGHT on top of the phone and zero problems whatsoever. But THAT one was totally my bad, lol.

2. Ads

Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Liked
    253 times
    You could make a backup in Samsung Kies on your PC and then do a factory reset on the phone or through Kies.

It is highly probable that the update could be the culprit since it was very poorly orchestrated.

Water affects electronics in strange ways as well.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
    Living dangerously, to me, is eating spaghetti with a white shirt on.

CR6
    Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    328 times
    That's true about the water & electronics. They can run fine for days or even weeks, and then once corrosion sets in, things start to get wonky.

**tap'n**

"Guidelines of Conduct" for Galaxyforums.net

Any questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to PM me.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Ollie View Post
    You could make a backup in Samsung Kies on your PC and then do a factory reset on the phone or through Kies.

It is highly probable that the update could be the culprit since it was very poorly orchestrated.

Water affects electronics in strange ways as well.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
    How exactly do I perform a factory reset? Do you recommend from the phone or through Kies?

Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Liked
    253 times
    Either one is fine. To do it on the phone, it will be inside of the Settings app. It will say Factory data reset. In Kies it is an option from the top tool bar menu. Make a backup in Kies first

Sent from my GT-I9300

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I still need a bit of help with this. I did the backup in Kies, and then did the "Back up and reset" from Settings on the phone. It didn't seem to revert everything back to original, Android version is still 4.0.3. Some things of course are reset, but I still see some of the newer functionality that wasn't included out of the box. Also none of the issues mentioned were resolved. (Yesterday I also noticed a new issue: when I take a picture using Outdoor Visibility, the effect shows on the screen while shooting, but not in the saved photo)

In Kies, there is no "back up and reset" or "factory data reset". There is only "Emergency firmware recovery" which seems to be meant for situations where a firmware upgrade really fails. My phone doesn't appear on its list. How

I think I should first make sure I get a proper reset and check the situation again then? Or what should I do?

Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Liked
    253 times
    Your phone will not roll back to GingerBread on its own. When you did the factory data reset on the phone it reloaded ICS because as far as the phone goes it now thinks that ICS is the factory firmware.

To get back to GingerBread you would have to manually flash the GingerBread firmware back on to your phone using Odin 1.85.

There is a thread where Greenfroggie posted a link to how people get back to GingerBread somehow using Kies, but it doesn't work on all models of the phone. I will see if I can find it.

Sent from my GT-I9300

Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Liked
    253 times
    Here it is:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1749021

Sent from my GT-I9300

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Would you recommend doing that then? I mean, is this what I *should* do in order to make sure the problems are not caused by a faulty update?

Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Liked
    253 times
    I don't think it would hurt trying. The only thing that I use Kies for is a backup. To install firmwares I use Odin

Sent from my GT-I9300

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads