Register

Welcome to the Samsung Galaxy Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Stuck in download mode (Please select recovery...)

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Stuck in download mode (Please select recovery...)

I have an SGSII Skyrocket (AT&T SGH-i727). I tried upgrading my ROM using Odin, but it got interrupted. Now, I can't get the phone to do anything other than boot into download mode with the message "Firmware upgrade encountered an issue. Please select recovery mode in Kies & try again."

I've tried getting the phone to boot to the recovery screen to do a factory reset, but that doesn't fly.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Ads

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    334 times
    Hello Handsclark, sorry to hear you're having problems with your Skyrocket. I'm going to ask you to hang on for awhile until ne of our Rescue Squad guys can swing by and give you a hand.
    GSM Galaxy Note 3 (Black) - Straight Stock
    GSM Galaxy Note 2 (Titanium) - Rooted running Jedi X20 Rom
    GSM Galaxy Nexus (Black) - Straight Stock

GSM Samsung Galaxy S3 (Red) - Rooted running Deadly Venom v8.0.1 Rom

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    151 times
    For a short period of time I had a Skyrocket, it is on loan to a friend, so I don't have one in front of me to play with. However, I just want to clarify that you tried this: [HOW TO] Return to 2.3.5 100% full stock through KIES

Take a look at those steps real quick and give that a try. I have ZERO experience with KIES. I have never used it, it has never been installed on my computer. The day I got my Skyrocket I brought it home and used ODIN to throw a custom ROM on there and never looked back until I let my friend borrow it.

I would also check this link over at XDA - [HOW TO][TAR] THE ODIN THREAD :: Return to stock, fix soft brick :: 11/13: Rogers TAR!

Make sure you read everything CAREFULLY!!!! Read it twice, or even three times if you have to. It's not too difficult, but it is easy to overlook some simple steps.

Ollie might have some ideas for you if nothing else works out.
    Last edited by grenefroggie; 07-08-2012 at 12:31 AM.

Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Liked
    253 times
    I would flash the firmware again in Odin. Did you use the right one?

Boot into download mode again like you would normally do. The screen will look like yours does now.

Then flash it again with only Auto Reboot and F Reset selected.

Sent from my GT-I9300
    Living dangerously, to me, is eating spaghetti with a white shirt on.

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    151 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Ollie View Post
    Boot into download mode again like you would normally do. The screen will look like yours does now.

*-*-*Batts his eyes at Ollie while singing "you are the wind beneath my wings...."*-*-*

Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Liked
    253 times
    I loved that song! Am I dating myself by mentioning that?

Sent from my GT-I9300
    Living dangerously, to me, is eating spaghetti with a white shirt on.

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    151 times
    I suppose you could be, but this is not the correct forum to discuss that. Guess I am going to have to start a "Wind Beneath My Wings" forum...

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Ollie View Post
    I would flash the firmware again in Odin. Did you use the right one?

Sent from my GT-I9300
    I don't know if I used the "right" one. I tried to make sure the firmware I used was for my phone, but there are a lot of guides and there seems to be a bit of confusion about SGH-I727/SGH-I777/etc. I tried to use CM because I was confident about getting a file that was specific to my phone (and there seems to be general consensus about the quality of CM), but the instructions I found for that were for Heimdall. Unfortunately, every time I tried using Heimdall I kept getting "firmware.xml is missing from the package" (I'm on Win7 BTW).

Can you point me in the right direction? I would love to have ICS, but I would settle for just getting control over my phone.

Thanks

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by grenefroggie View Post
    For a short period of time I had a Skyrocket, it is on loan to a friend, so I don't have one in front of me to play with. However, I just want to clarify that you tried this: [HOW TO] Return to 2.3.5 100% full stock through KIES

Take a look at those steps real quick and give that a try. I have ZERO experience with KIES. I have never used it, it has never been installed on my computer. The day I got my Skyrocket I brought it home and used ODIN to throw a custom ROM on there and never looked back until I let my friend borrow it.

I would also check this link over at XDA - [HOW TO][TAR] THE ODIN THREAD :: Return to stock, fix soft brick :: 11/13: Rogers TAR!

Make sure you read everything CAREFULLY!!!! Read it twice, or even three times if you have to. It's not too difficult, but it is easy to overlook some simple steps.

Ollie might have some ideas for you if nothing else works out.
    I tried using the instructions for Kies, and it was dead easy. Kies has an emergency recovery option, but that doesn't work for anything other than recovering from a botched Kies upgrade. "Upgrade and initialization" was the ticket. Now I at least have a functional phone while I wait for Ollie's input about good firmware.

THANK YOU!
    grenefroggie likes this.

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    151 times
    OK, so you have a few options in terms of ICS for you Skyrocket.

I like anything AOSP based (Android Open Source Project, basically, vanilla Android, no BS). There are quite a few different ROMs out there though for ICS. Some of them are based off an ICS leak and some of them are based off CM9.

Personally, for ease and awesomeness, I would use AOKP. If you give me 30 minutes from the time I post this, I will give you a link to a site where you can get all the information you need and all of the files. The AOKP site is offline right now, so I have to do some file hunting to get you what you need.

One last question, you are back to stock yes? You have to root the phone and get a custom recovery on the phone again, yes?

Ads