Register

Welcome to the Samsung Galaxy Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

GT-9100T sometimes freezing and running hot when asleep

I've recently (25-Jun-2012) bought a new Galaxy SII GT-I9100T (Vodafone Australia branded) and I'm having problems where it will freeze about once a day while in sleep mode. I suspect it is freezing and stuck on 100% CPU until either the battery goes flat or I reset the phone by holding the power button down for 10 secs.

I have done some testing over the recent weeks to try and determine or narrow down the cause, but I still can't figure it out as there are so many variables. I think it has always happened while away from home, or interestingly, often when I arrive back home to WiFi. I did some testing with the phone's WiFi turned off and it did not happen on those 2 occasions when I made trips away from home. It happened again last night while I was in a bar and I noticed the phone was very hot in my pocket - I'm guessing a runaway process, but not sure how to confirm that since it has crashed by this stage.

The battery graph shows an instant drop in battery level after I restart which would be the power a 100% CPU consumes. I haven't tested with the GPS off, so I will do that next. I haven't done a factory reset as the phone came with 4.03 factory installed, so unless someone can say that worked for them I don't want to go through the hassle of setting up my apps again to find I still have the same problem. I haven't made any software/firmware updates, and none are available.

I originally thought it may have been a battery issue, so I fully charged while turned off as this helped someone with a similar issue, but made no difference to me. I bought a replacement battery and the problem still occurs. I charge it with the original charger.

Other points
    - Sometimes the phone is in my pocket and sometimes it is not when it crashes.
    - Often after I arrive home, but not always.
    - I have a 32GB microSD full of music. Some people report SD card issues, so that is something else I could test. Remove the card.

Otherwise the phone works well and it has never happened while using the phone, so it is a background process that is occuring. Perhaps related to connectivity when moving about.

Android 4.03
    Batch GH69-12987X

Has anyone else had this issue and managed to resolve it? I've seen other's post with a similar problem, but the threads have been hijacked a bit and there was no clear resolution.

Thanks
    Cam
    Last edited by camthelegend; 07-15-2012 at 12:23 AM. Reason: Correct typo

2. Ads

Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Liked
    253 times
    I would test it without the sdcard inserted for a couple of days. Use a file manager and move your favorite music to the phone and after testing you can move it back again. It could be your media scanner getting stuck. Also try another browser. The stock one ramps up to 100% load sometimes (happened to me on that phone).

Try resetting your wifi connections by telling your phone to forget the networks and then entering them again.

The factory reset is crucial. You moved from one OS to another and that is a big leap for file structuring.

<-Sent From The Third Galaxy->
    Living dangerously, to me, is eating spaghetti with a white shirt on.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks for your feedback Ollie. I'll try some of your suggestions and report back, although it may take some time as it's only happening about once a day. It didn't happen yesterday when I went out, but I was using it quite actively. I'll put Dolphin Browser on there which I previously used on my HTC.

I haven't changed OS's as the phone came with 4.03 factory installed, so that is way I haven't done the factory reset yet.

PS I expected to get an email when someone responds to my thread, so I'll need to investigate why I didn't get one.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Good news!

I removed all my apps that were easy to reinstall but this did not help. I was close to resetting my phone, but then I was notified of the latest FOTA update for 4.03. Note: this is just a minor update and does not change the Android version number of 4.03. Perhaps because it is a Samsung-only release.

From 1:00pm, 20th July 2012 – Samsung began rolling out a small software update for GALAXY S II handsets sold by Vodafone and 3-Mobile in Australia.

The update is released in a staged process, which means not everybody can update at the same time.

This is a maintenance release and will address two bugs related to Email connectivity and update the included suite of Google Mobile Services. Your day to day experience with your phone will broadly remain the same.

I applied this patch 2 days ago and have since done 5 tests where it would normally crash and so far no crash. So I can only assume (and hope) that whatever they did to 'Google Mobile Services' has resolved the 'location services' issue. I don't know exactly what GMS does.

I will report back here if I still have trouble in the next few days, but I hope I have put this one to bed!

Cheers
    Cam

Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Liked
    253 times
    That's great news. Even greater that Sammy is still showing great support for the S2!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
    Living dangerously, to me, is eating spaghetti with a white shirt on.

Remove Ads

Ads