Register

Welcome to the Samsung Galaxy Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Exclamation Serious Problem after Root Attempt

Hey everyone,

I have a Sprint Samsung Galaxy S2 SPH-710 and I recently tried to root it. I used Odin v1.85 and tried to flash to ICS 4.0.3. In the middle of the process, it seemed Odin had gotten stuck with "SetupConnection" and so after 20-30 minutes of hanging there not progressing, I closed the application and un-plugged the phone (this is where I think I screwed up).

Now after booting the phone, it says:

Firmware upgrade encountered an issue. Please select recovery mode in Kies & try again.
    Recovery mode does NOT work, relaying the same message:

Firmware upgrade encountered an issue. Please select recovery mode in Kies & try again.
    Download mode DOES work, but the computer does not see the phone. I have followed the same procedure with another phone (without it freezing) and it works fine, but this phone seems to be completely shot. The phone stays at:

Code:
    ODIN MODE
    PRODUCT NAME: GT-i9100
    CUSTOM BINARY DOWNLOAD: YES (1 counts)
    CURRENT BYNARY: SAMSUNG OFFICIAL
    While in this mode, I tried numerous times trying to connect to every computer I have, and Odin does NOT detect it. I installed all drivers prior to flashing the phone and Kies is NOT running in the background; it is not even installed. I also tried every single combination of removing the battery, re-inserting the battery, trying different USB ports, etc. to no avail. I've also read tons of suggestions online to no avail. Even different operating systems do not detect this phone, however it detects my other phone (which is perfectly fine).

Anyone have any suggestions? Your help is greatly appreciated!!!!

Also for the record, I live in the United States.

2. Ads

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    332 times
    Hello Christopher, and welcome to the forum! I'm going to ask you to hold on for awhile until one of our Rescue Squad guys can swing by and give you a hand with your problem.
    GSM Galaxy Note 3 (Black) - Straight Stock
    GSM Galaxy Note 2 (Titanium) - Rooted running Jedi X20 Rom
    GSM Galaxy Nexus (Black) - Straight Stock

GSM Samsung Galaxy S3 (Red) - Rooted running Deadly Venom v8.0.1 Rom

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Sure thing! Thanks!

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    312 times
    Welcome to the forum! Are you using the power cord that came with the phone? Have you tried uninstalling Odin and installing it again?

tap'n
    Last edited by CR6; 07-29-2012 at 02:15 AM.

"Guidelines of Conduct" for Galaxyforums.net

Any questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to PM me.

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    151 times
    Did you have USB Debugging enabled on the phone? That is the only reason off the top of my head I can think of that it would have stopped in "SetupConnection".

I recently did this on two phones (SPH-710) with no trouble. What method did you use (a link to it would be helpful)? I have found that with this phone, and so many software versions avail for it, it is easy it could have been the wrong file.

Did you root and then try to flash ICS, or did you just try and flash the file straight from Odin?

Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Liked
    253 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ChristopherP View Post

Code:
    ODIN MODE
    PRODUCT NAME: GT-i9100
    CUSTOM BINARY DOWNLOAD: YES (1 counts)
    CURRENT BYNARY: SAMSUNG OFFICIAL
    This is your problem. You flashed an international firmware on this phone.

So you must find a tutorial that will help you recover from flashing another models firmware. Either that or send it into a JTag shop. It's about $35-$50.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
    Living dangerously, to me, is eating spaghetti with a white shirt on.

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    151 times
    Ollie, as always, your knowledge completely astounds me.

Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Liked
    253 times
    Thanks Froggie!

I looked for a recovery, but couldn't find one.

Living dangerously, to me, is eating spaghetti with a white shirt on.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Ollie View Post
    This is your problem. You flashed an international firmware on this phone.

So you must find a tutorial that will help you recover from flashing another models firmware. Either that or send it into a JTag shop. It's about $35-$50.

Thanks everyone your prompt response! Unfortunately, we chose to send the phone to Sprint and they'll see what they can do. We chose to do it today (Sunday) since we wanted to see what could be done as quick as possible and they close early on Sundays.

How do you know it's the International version? Is it the "i" in the "i1900"?

What happened was I first flashed a version according to a tutorial on AndroidAuthority that provided HyDRA something. Then, I found out (after flashing) that half the language was in Chinese --- I had the wrong version. So, after going here: Upgrade Samsung Galaxy S2 Epic 4G Touch D710 to stock, stable, and pre-rooted firmware FC15, I used this to start a SECOND flash and that's where it got stuck on "SetupConnection" and I stupidingly unplugged the phone after stopping the application. That's when the problem started. None of my computers would recognize the device and I couldn't even get into recovery mode.

I was going to try a Jig, but since time was running out, and I could already get into Download Mode, I thought perhaps Sprint could help. They might charge a small fee, but we'll see and I'll update everything here as info comes along.

Another thing:

I did the exact same thing on another Samsung Galaxy SII (from Sprint) that I have and it pretty much works fine. It's successfully flashed with a Pre-Rooted ICS 4.0.3 (perhaps I'll have to re-flash to 4.0.4 --- can anyone give me a link to an "official" United States version, preferably rooted (if not rooted, it's fine?). If someone could get me a link to either the rooted version, that'd be great. If no rooted version (I think it was just released this month), then does anyone have any instructions on how to root ICS 4.0.4?

Current issues with the functional phone:

-Wi-Fi won't connect with a dynamic IP address. I have to manually set it to a static IP and manually enter all the network settings (Gateway, DNS server, etc.) in order for it to work. Currently not an issue, but when I get back to school, they force dynamic IP's. Any suggestions? Is this fixed in Android 4.0.4?

-Every wallpaper I have is automatically enlarged on my home screen, for no reason. I tried enabling/disabling "Force GPU rendering" to no avail. No matter what size the image is, it enlarges the home wallpaper image by like 3 or 4 times. Lock screen however works perfectly.

Again, thanks for all your help!!!!

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    UPDATE:
    I know now that there is no "OFFICIAL" ICS 4.0.4, but hopefully there's a popular one for U.S. users.
    If anyone could provide a link, that'd be great! Pre-rooted would be the best, but since it hasn't even been out a month yet, I realize there might not be stable one.

If there's a link, do I have to install anything else but flash the tar file? Or do I have to do a gapps file? And what exactly is this? Thanks again

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Ads