Register

Welcome to the Samsung Galaxy Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Screen cracked, need to recover very important data!

Member #
    Liked
    2 times

Screen cracked, need to recover very important data!

Greetings to everyone. I have a sprint galaxy s2 which now has a cracked screen. The phone itself works. I can turn on/off, volume buttons work, I can hear the boot up music, and ticks as I press any of the 4 touch inputs at the bottom of the phone. Problem is, phone has a numerical screen lock. I don't remember if I left it in usb debugging mode or not.

Upon connecting to my computer, it detects 2 drives from the phone. Both are internal, no external sd card is present. Clicking both drives I get the message {please enter disk into 'corresponding drive letter'..). I have tried accessing the phone through Samsung New pc studio, windows explorer, I am in the process of downloading samsung kies to see if that works.

I am able to get into recovery mode, problem is I cant see what is there, or how many times to press volume down to get to mount usb. I am trying I feel in vain to figure out how to mount storage device through the stock recovery boot. It does show two drives in windows when I'm in recovery mode as well.

Assuming kies also fails, then using a program is out of the question. I can attempt to mount usb storage from the recovery console, is there such an option? If not, would I be able to take it to a sprint store where they could recover my data?

When the phone dropped, the screen cracked all the way across. I upgraded to the S3 later in the day, they were able to transfer my contacts over, I didnt think to ask if I could transfer music, photos, or videos over. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I know there's many others with this same issue. Problem is a lot of the "solutions" are not practical to this particular issue (screen is broken, I cant see where to go to enable usb debugging mode, or where to go to enable usb mount storage). Is it possible to blind type my passcode into the screen lock, and if so, how would one go about knowing exactly where to touch at?

2. Ads

Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Liked
    253 times
    Going out on a limb here thinking that this should be possible through adb. I know adb has a screen shot mode that might be able to help you figure out where to press on the screen. Adb installs the android sdk which does the screen shots.

Once adb is set up on the PC it should work.

There are also screen recording apps that mirror to your PC whatever is happening on the screen.

If the apps are not dependant on the screen actually being in working order then this is the route I would take.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
    IC10021 likes this.
    Living dangerously, to me, is eating spaghetti with a white shirt on.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Thank you. I will give this a shot, I believe I had downloaded adb before in a mad flurry to try and solve the problem. I am wondering if it will allow me to remote access my phone as well. I came upon something in my many hours of research about a program that allows a remote connection to the phone but it has to be rooted. Out of my reach obviously.

CR6
    Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    328 times
    Welcome to the forum Tommy.
    Sorry to hear about your problem. Let us know if Ollies suggestion helped. Good choice with the S3, Ollie and I both have this phone, you're gonna love it!
    Word to the wise though.....get a good case for this one before you do anything. Quite a few people have cracked their screens on the S3 and many were from very small drops. Otherwise awesome phone!
    Good luck with the recovery on the other one.

tap'n

"Guidelines of Conduct" for Galaxyforums.net

Any questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to PM me.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    338 times
    Welcome aboard Tommy! We're delighted to have you as a member of our forum.
    GSM Galaxy Note 3 (Black) - Straight Stock
    GSM Galaxy Note 2 (Titanium) - Rooted running Jedi X20 Rom
    GSM Galaxy Nexus (Black) - Straight Stock

GSM Samsung Galaxy S3 (Red) - Rooted running Deadly Venom v8.0.1 Rom

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Thank you for welcoming me. I am a long time android user. Infact, I swore off android in favor of the good 'ole webOS! Alas; I loved webOS, but HP and palm abandoned it. Too long a wait for miniscule updates (never did get past 1.34!) My first android phone was a htc hero. Took awhile, I was hooked on Eclair, 1.5 seems so obsolete compared to my current command 4.04. Like the original Enterprise vs Enterprise E. Big difference!

Anyways, enough of the rambling. I have successfully pulled the data from my cracked galaxy s2. Using ollies suggestion, I was able to find a screen capture app, which showed me what my screen looked like had it been working! It was on airplane mode too. I was unable to blind press my passcode using that program, mostly because the bottom third of my phone screen won't respond to touch input period. The top two thirds will. No ok button for me.

I abandoned that idea and went with Android SDK. It was a fairly easy process, having never used SDK before I read up, and it took me less than 4 hours including downloading the SDK tools needed, I was transferring my beloved pictures, movies, music mps3, and other saved data. If anyone needs clarification feel free to contact me. I know theres others with the same issue, cracked screen and unable to get the data from the phone. Even the sprint reps say its impossible. This proves them wrong.
    Ollie and myweakness like this.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Hi Tommy,

Can you please elaborate on how you rescued your data using the SDK? I'm a total Android and SDK noob but am tech literate and am trying to rescue a friend's S2 and the screen has stopped working (doesn't display anything, so the display is gone and possibly, also the touch sensor).

Thanks

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Hi Tommy,

I've downloaded the Android SDK and was hoping you could give me some quick pointers to perhaps mitigate the amount of time needed to solve this dilemma. Please post or send me an email to jeff@jeffreyford.net. Many thanks in advance!
    soclwrkr likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I also need HELP recovering data from my phone. INCLUDING contacts that were supposed to be saved to my SIM card. However, when I put the SIM card in my old Samsung Vibrant it did not import my contacts I have insurance, but it is a $150 deductible and they do NOT have another S2. I have to accept a much cheaper phone. SO dissatisfied with my carrier.

CR6
    Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    328 times

Re: Screen cracked, need to recover very important data!

Were your contacts saved to your Gmail account? If so, all you'll need to do is log on with your new phone and you're contacts will automatically download to your phone. If not, i would highly suggest doing this with your next phone. This way your contacts will always be available on any Android phone no matter what. Good luck and let us know how you make out.

tap'n
    IC10021 likes this.

"Guidelines of Conduct" for Galaxyforums.net

Any questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to PM me.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads