Register

Welcome to the Samsung Galaxy Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Smoke while charging! Serious problem

Hi,

While my phone was charging I started to feel plastic smoke. I looked instantly at the phone because was coming from its direction and I saw smoke coming up from the usb port (where was plugged the charger).
    The part with the usb port from the phone, the usb and the charger were extremely hot. I plugged it out immediately and I tried to turn on the phone because it was turned off by itself (it had like 20% battery so it was because of the **** that happened).
    When I turned it on, the phone was showing like it's still charging. Weird. I tried to plug it in again and it stopped showing the charging icon, but when I plugged it off, the icon for battery started to blink.
    After a while it turned off by itself and it was showing like it's charging (without any charger plugged in) and then stopping... and then again with an interval of a few seconds.
    I tried to turn it on again and it was the same. I turn it off, but it didn't turn off anymore. It was turning off, but immediately after one second it was turning on by itself.
    I removed the battery and put it again and now it's the first thing happening (blinking battery).
    Now it won't charge anymore. I tried to plug it in again and move the usb somehow to see if it's because of the usb port. In some position it gets power but it displays a battery with an exclamation sign.
    Now the phone is dead and it won't charge anymore. (only displaying the battery with an exclamation sign. And I have to move it in many positions to find the right on)

I had never flashed or did anything else to my phone that's related to software changing.
    It's everything stock. And I want to mention that never anything suspicious happened to the phone (like dropping it in water, playing football with it, etc)

Why this happened? If I was sleeping or not in the same room, my flat could be burned down now.
    I searched on Google about some similar problems but the only thing I find was that phone that almost melted in a guy's pocket.
    Has anybody experienced this stuff?

And one more thing, I'll go tomorrow to the shop because I have warranty and insurance for the phone.
    Will the warranty cover this?

Thanks in advance.

2. Ads

Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    1. The flame burned your USB port circuitry.
    2. Only thing to do is send it for service.

Weirdest problem seen.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Ace (GT-S5830) and proud of it!
    Current devices:
    Samsung Galaxy Ace (GT-S5830)
    Motorola Backflip (MB300)
    ARNOVA 7 G2 (AN7G2)

Legacy devices:
    Nokia 5800 Xperssmusic
    Motorola Defy (MB525)

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I actually think Samsung need to fix this somehow
    because it get hot very quickly
    i used to use a samsung phone too but never get hot so
    quickly like galaxy s2, sometime i need to take out the cover to lets my phone released some heats x__x

Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    Quote Originally Posted by sandy123 View Post
    I actually think Samsung need to fix this somehow
    because it get hot very quickly
    i used to use a samsung phone too but never get hot so
    quickly like galaxy s2, sometime i need to take out the cover to lets my phone released some heats x__x
    It's probably a manufacturing defect.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Ace (GT-S5830) and proud of it!
    Current devices:
    Samsung Galaxy Ace (GT-S5830)
    Motorola Backflip (MB300)
    ARNOVA 7 G2 (AN7G2)

Legacy devices:
    Nokia 5800 Xperssmusic
    Motorola Defy (MB525)

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Exactly the same thing happened to my Note II the other day. The USB port connecting to the phone melted and so did the bottom part of the phone. It was charging for about 45 minutes and then I smelled burnt plastic. I immediately unplugged it but since the USB port melted, it took time to extricate the charger from the phone because they were stuck together with the melted plastic.

I used a charger that came with the phone during purchase and there was nothing suspicious also with the phone before that. I didn't install any new software either. I am still baffled with what happened.

I have gone to Samsung service center and they told me it was an isolated case. I sure hope so because it is very scary to think that this can happen to anybody and more scary if they are not around to unplug it or stop it when it happens.

It's a wait and see. I hope Samsung does something about this and replaces my phone.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    My sons Galaxy II phone started smoking and got really hot while on charge in his bedroom. He tried putting it on another genuine charger and same thing happened. He has been back to the store on two separate occasions where he purchased it but keeps getting fobbed off. The only staff member has said twice now that the Manager isn't in and they have no authority to do anything.

onz
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I've had the exact same thing happen to me!

I woke up to find that my phone wasn't charging (while plugged into charger) and the battery had died, figuring it may be the charger, I plugged it into my usb charger and went to get ready for work. I came back 5 minutes later to find it smoking and the micro usb input melting!

This is very concerning especially that it's happened to other Samsung phones So I'm now hesitant to buy a new one.

As with Nozid123's experience, I'm surprised this has been brushed off so casually by Samsung, the potential for serious injury or death (via fire) is extremely high.

I charge my phone at night on my bedside table, vary scary thought.

*Signed up an account just to post this*

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Twitter
    ladylogan253
    Quote Originally Posted by Maryanne View Post
    My sons Galaxy II phone started smoking and got really hot while on charge in his bedroom. He tried putting it on another genuine charger and same thing happened. He has been back to the store on two separate occasions where he purchased it but keeps getting fobbed off. The only staff member has said twice now that the Manager isn't in and they have no authority to do anything.
    What you have to do is take out battery and sim card and make sure you open the windows and make whatever to make it as cold as possible the cold air should flow through the usb and plug in on the phone for an hour then put everything back in your phone and charge it with the new charger you bought and it should work keep pluggin it in and out til u see the battery charging pic on your phone

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    308 times
    Personally I wouldn't even attempt to plug it back in after that. Contact your carrier and let then know you have a defective battery. Explain what happened and they'll send you out a replacement ASAP.

tap'n
    Last edited by CR6; 04-04-2014 at 11:56 PM.

"Guidelines of Conduct" for Galaxyforums.net

Any questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to PM me.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    OMG! This just happened! Do you know what caused it and what I should do now???

Ads