Register

Welcome to the Samsung Galaxy Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Galaxy SII - keeps turning off!

Hi! I have a Galaxy SII through T-Mobile. I've only had the device for approximately 6 months and love it; however, all of a sudden it is turning off at random times with random battery life left. I first noticed it about a week ago, thinking I had accidentally turned it off but now it is happening 3 or 4 times a day.

My husband purchased the Galaxy SIII with the Ice Cream Sandwich system and the salesperson told me that I might need to update my operating system to this?

Any advice?

Thank you!!

2. Ads

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    332 times
    Hello sickscent - welcome to the forum! We are delighted to have you as a member.

If you can hang on for awhile, one of our Rescue Squad guys will be by to give you a hand with the problem you're having.
    GSM Galaxy Note 3 (Black) - Straight Stock
    GSM Galaxy Note 2 (Titanium) - Rooted running Jedi X20 Rom
    GSM Galaxy Nexus (Black) - Straight Stock

GSM Samsung Galaxy S3 (Red) - Rooted running Deadly Venom v8.0.1 Rom

Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Liked
    253 times

Re: Galaxy SII - keeps turning off!

Can you tell me the model number under the battery or by navigating to Settings, About?

Do you have Samsung Kies installed on your PC?

Sent from my GT-I9300
    Living dangerously, to me, is eating spaghetti with a white shirt on.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    The model number is SGH-T989.

I have Kies air on my phone - is that the same thing?

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie View Post
    Can you tell me the model number under the battery or by navigating to Settings, About?

Do you have Samsung Kies installed on your PC?

Sent from my GT-I9300

Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Liked
    253 times

No, Kies Air is the phone client that connects to Samsung Kies on your PC for transferring data etc.

Sent from my GT-I9300

Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Liked
    253 times

If you cannot force an over the air update under Settings, About then you should try using Kies on the PC to update.

If Kies refuses an update then you would have to flash it manually using Odin 1.85 on your PC with this firmware (4.0.4) for T-Mobile USA...
    http://www.hotfile.com/dl/169443489/...1_TMB.zip.html
    Sent from my GT-I9300

Following these instructions:

Firmware upgrade encountered an issue.

The only difference in the instructions for you is that your download mode is different. When it says to enter download mode in the guide you will launch Odin first, the plug the factory USB cable into your PC (but not your phone!), then power your phone off. Press and hold the volume up key+volume down key at the same time (there is actually a center position between the two keys) and continue pressing them while you attach the USB cable to the phone. The phone will boot into download mode and you will then press volume up to confirm.

Once Odin has detected your phone you load the firmware above (that you unzipped one time) into the PDA slot of Odin. Then press start

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I've recently updated my software and now it's running with 4.0.4 but the problem with spontaneous shutting down doesn't resolve. In fact it got worse after the update. Could it be due to some problems with the battery, since taking off and putting on the battery can temporarily resolve the problem? It always gets heater when the problems occurs.

Member #
    Liked
    92 times
    Twitter
    alantvt
    I have the AT&T I - 777 version and had this problem off and on until last week. I removed a few of the apps that I had on the phone and was not using. One was OI file manager and then a few ringtone apps.
    Alan SGSII

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    151 times
    By chance when the phone is shutting off is it plugged in and you are doing something like playing a game, talking, or listening to an app that requires data like Pandora?

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by sickscent View Post
    Hi! I have a Galaxy SII through T-Mobile. I've only had the device for approximately 6 months and love it; however, all of a sudden it is turning off at random times with random battery life left. I first noticed it about a week ago, thinking I had accidentally turned it off but now it is happening 3 or 4 times a day.

My husband purchased the Galaxy SIII with the Ice Cream Sandwich system and the salesperson told me that I might need to update my operating system to this?

Any advice?

Thank you!!
    I have the Samsung GS2 with AT&T (i-777 model). Not sure if you still have this shutting off problem, but I have it too. It's happening more often recently like 2-3 times a day. The phone doesn't get too hot, but I do see the battery charge drop, and one time when I woke in the morning the entire battery was drained. Several weeks ago, it was shutting off like once every 2 weeks and I didn't mind it. Now it's pissing me off. So after reading the suggestions, I decided to uninstall APPS. At first I uninstalled things I didn't use like games and utilities. Didn't work. Then I uninstalled APPS that just ran in the back ground like anti-virus, security and this one called Android Assistant. Didn't work. I was ready to give up and do a factory reset. I pulled the battery out and place it back in, but then I noticed the battery SLIDES A BIT IN THE BATTERY SLOT. The battery makes connection over a few spring loaded copper contacts, but I was able to move the battery away about 1-2mm. That's when I decided to push the battery as much as I could toward the copper contacts and wedge a folded up piece of paper to the other side of the battery. Basically I was trying to prevent the battery from sliding back. After that, my phone haven't shut off by itself in a day. This is the longest time it has NOT shut off. Will update again in couple of days. Fingers crossed.

Ads