Register

Welcome to the Samsung Galaxy Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

keyboard disappears while typing....Sprint and Samsung can't help!

hi there, thanks for any help in advance! i have had my Galaxy S2 for a couple months now and for the last month i have had a major issue.

any time i am entering text, whether i'm txting, facebooking, emailing, navigating, googling, etc, the keyboard disappears while i'm typing. its very random and not consistent. sometimes i can type for 10 secs before it happens, sometimes 1 second. and after i tap in the text box to get the keyboard to reappear it may stay up again for a sec or 10 secs. this process goes on and on. as you can tell, it makes things very hard to do since i end up taping on whatever is behind the keyboard when it pops down, whether thats a link or the send button or whatever. even if i just sit there and don't touch anything the keyboard will go down on its own. and if i use speech-to-txt functions while it will cancel the recording while i'm talking. its almost like the "back" button is being pressed, but i dont have any issues with any other aspect of the phone. i never get backed out of an app or whatever.

Sprint is aware of the problem and apparently other people have it too, but Samsung hasn't offered a fix even though it has been going on for months. Sprint offered to give me a new phone but there is no guarantee the problem won't happen on that one and i dont want to go through the hassle of switching all my apps and settings for nothing.

i have tried installing multiple keyboard apps and changing any and every setting possible. i have searched the web for hours looking for help elsewhere. hopefully someone here has a solution!

2. Ads

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Sounds similar to an issue I had with Samsung Captivate with Gingerbread 2.3.5. I solved it by opening the browser. Clicking the menu button, click "more", then "settings" and then changed turned off the block pop-up windows checkmark.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    i think its actually a problem with dust, even though Sprint said the screen is sealed. the problem went away the other day when i dropped my phone on my tile floor. the abrupt impact must have shook the layer of dust off of some component because the problem hasn't happened since then. weird!

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Work around keyboard disappearing or freezing for my Galaxy Nexus.
    I tried changing the popup settings and that did help a little. The keyboard would still disappear or lock up after sometimes 15 characters, sometimes more or less.
    Returning to original settings had the keyboard disappearing after 2 characters. It would reappear after about 15 seconds. Verizon saw this and said a factory reset might correct it and it might still return. It is being changed out under warranty.

However
    The workaround I found was turning off spell check, auto correct, and auto suggest.

Settings > Language & input > Language > Spell checker.. uncheck box so it is turned off
    Settings > Language & input > Default . Android Keyboard, click on the settings button > text correction auto correction, click > select off
    Settings > Language & input > Default Android Keyboard, click on the settings button > text correction show correction suggests click > select always hide

That returned the keyboard to usefulness but without auto correct or spelling suggestions. Still I can type when needed.

Hope this helps.
    NCS

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    333 times
    Welcome to the forum NCStephen!
    GSM Galaxy Note 3 (Black) - Straight Stock
    GSM Galaxy Note 2 (Titanium) - Rooted running Jedi X20 Rom
    GSM Galaxy Nexus (Black) - Straight Stock

GSM Samsung Galaxy S3 (Red) - Rooted running Deadly Venom v8.0.1 Rom

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by UltraDroid View Post
    Welcome to the forum NCStephen!
    Thanks. Hope my effort helped out. I am not spending a lot of technical energy day by day with the phone. I had this problem and while it seems it happens, no one really offered a solution or work around. So I posted up what I discovered. Hope it helps someone.
    NCS

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    313 times

Re: keyboard disappears while typing....Sprint and Samsung can't help!

Thanks Stephen & welcome to the forum!

tap'n

"Guidelines of Conduct" for Galaxyforums.net

Any questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to PM me.

Ads