Register

Welcome to the Samsung Galaxy Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By CR6

Thread: Recent iPhone convert looking for a little help

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Recent iPhone convert looking for a little help

Hey all,
    Just bought a used SGS2i9100. Great upgrade from my old iPhone 3Gs. One thing however is it seems to run like molasses when using my cellular internet, tethering is painful but my work wifi works fine with it. When I go to settings and "About" it says Android version 4.0.3... is this what you guys are talking abut when you refer to Jellybeans and Gingerbreads or is that another thing? I am in Toronto Canada on the Fido network, had to get the phone unlocked before I could use it and I have no idea if it's "rooted" (how do I tell?). Is firmware and the vesion of Android the same thing or different? I've read some posts about different modem firmwares too. Is there one that will work better for me? I've also read some about APNs. Mine says fido-something so I imagine it's correct. But is there anything I can do there?
    Here is some info perhaps you could help me understand all this and get this thing working better than my old phone (I would hate to go back that old 3Gs).

Model number: GT-I9100M
    Android version: 4.0.3
    Basband version:I9100MUGLD3
    Kernl version: 3.0.1-I9100MUGLD3-CL377577
    se.infra@SEP-74 #3

PDA: I9100MUGLD3
    Phone: I900MUGLD3
    CSC:I9100MBMCLD3
    Buildinfo: Thu Apr 19 15:39:18 KST 212

2. Ads

CR6
    Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    328 times
    Welcome to the forum Choyles!
    Your internet via tethering really depends on your connection. Are you tethering via 3G or 4G? Are you using the stock "hot spot" option or a third party tethering app like FoxFi?
    If you don't know what "rooting" is, your phone isn't rooted. I assume you purchased your phone new from your carrier? (or did you purchase it from someone online? You're currently on ICS (Ice Cream Sandwich) Gingerbread, Ice Cream Sandwich and JellyBean are all versions of Androids operating system. Rooting your phone gives you administrative privileges (kind of like on your PC) and is not for the faint of heart. Flashing the wrong files or firmware for your phone can render your phone useless and you can end up with a shiny brick on your hands.
    Do your best to answer the questions above and we'll go from there.
    Good luck!
    UltraDroid likes this.

"Guidelines of Conduct" for Galaxyforums.net

Any questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to PM me.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Ahh ... I thought ICS meant internet connection sharing lol (hence the confusion). Yes I'm using the stock hot spot/USB sharing, I'll look into FoxFi. My little icon says H+ bside my cell signal. It's a used phone I bought off Craigslist so I wasnt sure if it is rooted. I jailbroke my old phone, so I'm pretty sure I can get this rooted without blowing anything up. Thanks for setting me straight, just takes a little time to wrap my noggin around the new terminology. I'll try to figure the rest out.Peace

CR6
    Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    328 times

Re: Recent iPhone convert looking for a little help

LOL re your ICS comment! Good luck & let us know if you need a hand with anything.

tap'n

"Guidelines of Conduct" for Galaxyforums.net

Any questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to PM me.

Remove Ads

Ads