Register

Welcome to the Samsung Galaxy Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By grenefroggie
  • 1 Post By CR6

Thread: Galaxy S2 i900 turning off 3-4 times a day now and increasing frequency

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Galaxy S2 i900 turning off 3-4 times a day now and increasing frequency

Hi - I am new to this forum and just joined as having problems with my S2 i900. I have had the phone since last January and is my first smartphone. It is on Gingerbread 2.3.3 - it says there are no new updates available (I dont have a usb cable connector just wifi) so have just left this OS. The phone was originally from the 02 shop but now use it on Tmboile/Orange/EE (and have done for a while with no problem)

Around December I found the phone would sometimes turn itself in my pocket but thought it must be because my pocket had pushed against it. In the last week the phone just will not stay on. I have had it fully charged and unplugged it to go on internet, play Words with friends or use something else and the phone just goes completely dead not even a turning off sound - just instant black screen. When I turn it back on there is no battery power at all (like 3% remaining from a full charge).

It is now completely unusable unless it is plugged in and unreliable.

I have read lots of people having the same problem but no real solution. I tried uninstalling and force stopping various apps but no joy. I tried the hard reset (pressing all the buttons) and even then the phone turned itself off within a few minutes before I had even had a chance to reinstall some apps (only managed to download hotmail, ebay and facebook)

I really dont know what to do now - some people have suggested it could be a fault with the phone with the usb port but I have not damaged the phone in any way and have kept good care of it.

Would a new battery solve the problem or is it a software/hardware issue? Unfortunately I cannot afford to replace it at the moment and given its not that old I feel it should last a bit longer (but of course out of warranty)

Any help much appreciated

-----Edit------------

Just to mention as well about a month ago I was finding the screen would just go black but could hear sounds from the phone in the background so the phone was still on but the screen just would not unlock from the black screen - I had to either take the battery out or hold the power button until it reset. Now the phone just dies completely
    Last edited by humanoid1; 03-22-2013 at 08:19 AM.

2. Ads

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Also here are my phone details if any help?

MODEL NO. GT I9100
    Android version 2.3.3
    Baseband version I9100XXKE7
    Kernel version 2.6.35.14-Siyah-v2.2i+gm@ubuntu
    Build no GINGERBREAD.XWKF3

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Also to add - I have just done a factory reset via Privacy > reset and even with nothing else installed and with my SIM and a SD card in the back, the phone just went black again

CR6
    Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    328 times
    Welcome to the forum!
    Sorry to hear about your phone problems! I would suggest a factory data reset, but since that didn't help, I would suggest a new battery. (They are pretty inexpensive these days) You should also update your phone (once you get the new battery) to the latest OS, which should be either Ice Cream Sandwich, or Jelly Bean, depending on your carrier. You'll probably need to do this via KIES, where you connect your phone to your pc via usb cable.
    Try a new battery and let us know if that works out for you, then we can help you with the update if you need a hand. Or you can take it to your carrier and have them update it for you.
    Good luck & let us know how you make out.

tap'n

"Guidelines of Conduct" for Galaxyforums.net

Any questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to PM me.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    338 times
    Welcome to the forum Humanoid!
    GSM Galaxy Note 3 (Black) - Straight Stock
    GSM Galaxy Note 2 (Titanium) - Rooted running Jedi X20 Rom
    GSM Galaxy Nexus (Black) - Straight Stock

GSM Samsung Galaxy S3 (Red) - Rooted running Deadly Venom v8.0.1 Rom

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by CR6 View Post
    Welcome to the forum!
    Sorry to hear about your phone problems! I would suggest a factory data reset, but since that didn't help, I would suggest a new battery. (They are pretty inexpensive these days) You should also update your phone (once you get the new battery) to the latest OS, which should be either Ice Cream Sandwich, or Jelly Bean, depending on your carrier. You'll probably need to do this via KIES, where you connect your phone to your pc via usb cable.
    Try a new battery and let us know if that works out for you, then we can help you with the update if you need a hand. Or you can take it to your carrier and have them update it for you.
    Good luck & let us know how you make out.

tap'n

Thanks for the reply - I have managed to connect the phone to my pc and it updated the OS to 4.0.3 and everything seemed to be going OK but it just had a screen black out again and had to hold the power button until it restarted - and then it had no battery power again.

I will have a look for a new battery - assume it is best to get the official Samsung battery rather than the no brand ones being sold on Amazon?

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    152 times
    I have had luck with many off brand batteries. I personally prefer the Samsung batteries because nothing works better than OEM usually. The same goes with USB cables. I would do an Amazon search for Samsung GT-i9100 Battery and see what you can get the lowest price for. I would link it for you, but you live in the UK. I live in the US. My search will likely yield US results.
    UltraDroid likes this.

CR6
    Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    328 times
    Glad to hear the update went through. :thumbup: As froggie suggested, an OEM would be your best bet, and since the phone has been out for a year already, they shouldn't be very expensive. Hopefully this solves your problem.
    Keep us updated.

tap'n
    UltraDroid likes this.

"Guidelines of Conduct" for Galaxyforums.net

Any questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to PM me.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Hi,I have the same problem - see the attached video: http://youtu.be/kB2TK07J4J4 .I already updated to 4.1.2 and the problem still exists, so this is not software/OS problem. Next step will be replace the battery.Suggestion - ask from somebody another battery just to check if it will help to your phone.Good luck!
    Last edited by Yanf; 03-26-2013 at 03:38 PM.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    338 times
    Welcome to the forum Yanf!
    GSM Galaxy Note 3 (Black) - Straight Stock
    GSM Galaxy Note 2 (Titanium) - Rooted running Jedi X20 Rom
    GSM Galaxy Nexus (Black) - Straight Stock

GSM Samsung Galaxy S3 (Red) - Rooted running Deadly Venom v8.0.1 Rom

Remove Ads

Ads