Register

Welcome to the Samsung Galaxy Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Galaxy S2 freezing and overheating since software update

Hello

Im not very techie with my phone. I recently updated it for the first time since ive had it. However after a firmware update that followed on from the phone update my phone has been Freezing. When i take the battery out the power drops stupidly and sometimes wen i go to charge it, the battery gets super hot.

Like i said, ive read bits and bobs about odin and stuff but thats all *whoosh* over my head.

Can anyone help... in laymans speak

THanks
    Rach

2. Ads

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

apologies....

Quote Originally Posted by raaach477 View Post
    Hello

Im not very techie with my phone. I recently updated it for the first time since ive had it. However after a firmware update that followed on from the phone update my phone has been Freezing. When i take the battery out the power drops stupidly and sometimes wen i go to charge it, the battery gets super hot.

Like i said, ive read bits and bobs about odin and stuff but thats all *whoosh* over my head.

Can anyone help... in laymans speak

THanks
    Rach
    Model Num: GT-I9100
    Android Version: 4.0.4
    Baseband ver: I9100XXLQ6
    Kernel Ver: 3.0.15-I9100XWLPT-CL941023
    dpi@DELL169 #3
    SMP PREEMPT Fri Jul 27 18:08:15 KST 2012
    Build Num: IMM76D.XWLPT

Im in the UK and im with O2
    Last edited by raaach477; 04-11-2013 at 07:18 AM.

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    152 times
    You can try upgrading to 4.1.2 in an effort to minimize your troubles. Make sure you backup all data first. Here is a link to the firmware. Are you familiar with Odin?

myromhome.com/devices/galaxys2/I9100XWLSD_I9100O2ULS7_O2U.zip

That is the firmware. You will need Odin to flash it.

myromhome.com/devices/tools/sgs3/Odin307.zip

Let me know if you have trouble downloading anything.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by grenefroggie View Post
    You can try upgrading to 4.1.2 in an effort to minimize your troubles. Make sure you backup all data first. Here is a link to the firmware. Are you familiar with Odin?myromhome.com/devices/galaxys2/I9100XWLSD_I9100O2ULS7_O2U.zipThat is the firmware. You will need Odin to flash it.myromhome.com/devices/tools/sgs3/Odin307.zipLet me know if you have trouble downloading anything.
    Hi... No ive never messed wi anythin on my phone except updating it... Can u talk me thru it?

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    152 times
    Quote Originally Posted by raaach477 View Post
    Hi... No ive never messed wi anythin on my phone except updating it... Can u talk me thru it?
    Again, this process will remove all data from your phone. So make sure to backup (plug in to your computer and copy) files like photos, videos and what not off the phone. If you want, you can use an app like MyBackup (I would use the Pro version, the features are worth the price of the app). It will create a folder on your main SD card labeled reware. Once you have backed up everything you would like to save, you can copy that folder to your computer (or external SD card) and then proceed with this process. I normally save my call log, contacts (just to be safe, though if you have them saved to Google, you do not need to do contacts), SMS, MMS, pictures, videos, music and there are other options. I also back up my apps.

You can get Odin here: Odin

Extract Odin from it's folder and open Odin3 v3.07.exe.

If you have not already, go to the link in my first post and download that file. If you have trouble downloading it, please let me know. I will do something else.

The first thing we want to do is get your phone in to Download Mode. The instructions to do so can be found here.

From there, you can connect your phone to your PC. Make sure you do not go through any USB hubs and use the back port on your computer, as it is more secure. Front ports have been known to fail, though I have yet to experience it myself, when in Rome...

Odin should recognize your phone. You may have to wait for your computer to install the proper drivers for Download Mode. If it fails, no worries. Uninstall your current drivers and the computer should install them again on its own.

Once your phone is plugged in, and you have Odin running, you should see in Odin, on the top left hand side, under ID:COM that a device is connected. If you do not see this, we'll have to find out why.

Make sure ONLY Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time are checked. Do not check anything else in this area.

Go to your download folder and find the file you downloaded earlier from my previous link. Right click on the file and extract it. In Odin, select the PDA button and find the file you just extracted. It will take a minute for the area to populate with a location of the file, and the button next to PDA should be checked.

Click start and wait for the process to be completed. Once it is, it will either say Done or Reset. You can close Odin and your phone should reboot.

Please let me know if you have any questions before you start.
    Last edited by grenefroggie; 04-16-2013 at 08:44 PM.

Remove Ads

Ads