Register

Welcome to the Samsung Galaxy Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Newbie in every sense of the word

Hello all,

I am from the Kansas City area, mid 40s in age, and just purchased my Fascinate two days ago. This is my first smart-phone of any kind, and was content for many years with a Casio Boulder flip phone. I tried to avoid going down this road due to the $$$ involved, but my wife was going to get a new phone and I figured "what the heck". We both purchased Fascinate devices, primarily due to the amazing screen display without really doing our homework. She is replacing her old "brick" phone which was running some sort of MS Windows OS on it.

Now I'm reading all about this phone, and how folks returned it right away, how it is running the old Android OS 2.1, Bing, Verizon bloatware, etc. So, I'm already thinking of returning it for something else. Perhaps I shouldn't? Maybe you folks here can convince me not to...!

Thanks in advance for all of the stupid questions I may ask.
    Scott.
    <--- Scott

2. Ads

Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Liked
    299 times
    Welcome Scott! If you want to do some research and try a few things...you will have an awesome phone. I had the droid x and did not like the size and weight, so I went back for the sleekness that is Fascinate.

If you want an out of the box, no fooling with it, kinda phone, then there other options out there you may like. However, I would encourage you to read up on some things here and see if you are comfortable with it. I too was a noob...and still am compared to the smarts that are in here.
    I cut corners till I break it.
    If I help you break it, I will help you fix it...promise!

99.97% Success Rate
    Devices I have hacked, modded and owned: Original Droid / DX / Fascinate / Charge / TBolt / Razr / Gnex / Xoom / Kindle Fire

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    First of all welcome to the forums. Secondly, don't believe everything you read out there. The fascinate is an awesome phone. Sure it has the older 2.1 software, but there are ways around that, and it will be updated soon to the newest version. In terms of the Bing, and the VZ bloatware; bing really isn't all that big of a deal. After all it's only a search engine. And the VZ bloat is going to be on any smartphone you buy, that's a VZ thing and not the fascinate. And all the carriers do it.
    Here's my take on the situation. The Fascinate is perfect for someone in your situation, coming to smartphones for the first time. It looks good, runs fast, and the learning curve isn't that steep. So if you decide to return the device, that is up to you and we would respect your decision to do so. However, don't make that decision based on some things you have read that might not really make a difference to you as a user. Use the phone for a couple of days, that's all it will take, if you like it keep it, if you don't then take a look at what else is out there. Personally I think you have made a fine choice.

And there really isn't any stupid questions here, if you have a question about something, I guarantee you that some of us have wondered the same thing at one point. That's why we are here to learn about our phones, have a little fun, and help each other along the way.

So what are you waiting for......enjoy!!

Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Liked
    299 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Sele View Post
    First of all welcome to the forums. Secondly, don't believe everything you read out there. The fascinate is an awesome phone. Sure it has the older 2.1 software, but there are ways around that, and it will be updated soon to the newest version. In terms of the Bing, and the VZ bloatware; bing really isn't all that big of a deal. After all it's only a search engine. And the VZ bloat is going to be on any smartphone you buy, that's a VZ thing and not the fascinate. And all the carriers do it.
    Here's my take on the situation. The Fascinate is perfect for someone in your situation, coming to smartphones for the first time. It looks good, runs fast, and the learning curve isn't that steep. So if you decide to return the device, that is up to you and we would respect your decision to do so. However, don't make that decision based on some things you have read that might not really make a difference to you as a user. Use the phone for a couple of days, that's all it will take, if you like it keep it, if you don't then take a look at what else is out there. Personally I think you have made a fine choice.

And there really isn't any stupid questions here, if you have a question about something, I guarantee you that some of us have wondered the same thing at one point. That's why we are here to learn about our phones, have a little fun, and help each other along the way.

So what are you waiting for......enjoy!!
    He is one of the smarts I mentioned earlier.

99.97% Success Rate
    Devices I have hacked, modded and owned: Original Droid / DX / Fascinate / Charge / TBolt / Razr / Gnex / Xoom / Kindle Fire

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by buddyfunlove View Post
    He is one of the smarts I mentioned earlier.
    Like a grandfather to keep us under his wing!!

tapatapatalky

CR6
    Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    328 times
    Welcome to the forum Scott!
    There are going to be pros and cons with every make/model phone on the market regardless of what carrier you're on. It depends on what your wants/needs are with a particular device. The Fascinate is a top of the line phone on Verizon and regardless of what you've read, I think you'll find most of us on this forum will encourage you to stick with it. It's got one of the best screens on the market and despite all the "issues" you listed, this phone is easily customizable to get rid of and/or "take care of" every one said issues. Regardless of what phone you choose, because you're on Verizon, you're going to be stuck with their bloatware (unless you get an iPhone), but it's an easy fix by rooting your phone as are the other concerns you listed. 2.2 is extremely easy to put on your phone, by using the simple walkthrough "How to root your fascinate & install froyo" in the RS Guide section.
    Enjoy the forum and take a look around. I think if you ignore all the negative comments online and take the time to really get to know this phone, you'll be glad you stuck with it!
    Don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions or concerns.
    :smile:

(grandfather......*snicker*) lol

"Guidelines of Conduct" for Galaxyforums.net

Any questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to PM me.

Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Liked
    299 times
    Quote Originally Posted by belber095 View Post
    Like a grandfather to keep us under his wing!!

tapatapatalky
    Belber just called you old sele... lol

Scott...My mom just got the Fascinate and she never had anything like it before either...she has fallen in love with it, stock and all. You will not get a sharper screen...all around you judge it on your experience.

99.97% Success Rate

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Welcome Scott, I've only been a member for about a day now, and so far have been very impressed by the community and their willingness to help, simply for the sake of helping. And like Sele said there really are no stupid questions.

Perhaps some tips for your new phone would be...

1)understand that the battery is going to seem pretty terrible at first, and thats because it is. But you get used to it. These phones have tremendous potential and powerful hardware, running pretty advanced software, so for now we take the bad with the good.
    If you want to try and improve battery life try running the phone until it dies (this can easily be done by running a video game and just let it sit for a few hours). Once the device turns off on its own plug it into the wall charger (do not turn it on!) and let it get a full charge, this is the best way to fully charge your battery.

2)Even though the folks at the Verizon store may have told you to download and use the application: "advanced task killer", I wouldn't recommend it. Theres a rather detailed write up here on the forums, and while it might be a lot of information to take in, and most of it probably wont make sense to you I can say that I (and probably most of the other members who have read it) wont bother with "A.T.K." again. I would label it as unnecessary.

3)Learn what the 4 buttons at the bottom of the screen do, and familiarize yourself with using them appropriately. Nothing worse that having a killer smartphone, and ending up hating it because it wont do what you want, simply because you don't know how to make it do the thing you want.
    *For example, if you are running an app, like the web browser, and you hit the "Home" button (the one that looks like a little house) then you will be returned to the home screen, however, the browser will still be stored in the phones memory in the background (kind of like minimizing something on a desktop computer screen).
    Alternatively if you press the "Back" button this will actually close the program, freeing up some of the phones memory/resources.

Also a pet peeve of mine with this phone, is that if ever you use the "Google maps navigation" app, the system volume automatically cranks up to the max, making my normally soft and subtle clicking sounds almost unbearably loud. So I end up going back into the settings time and time again to lower the system volume. But, at your age maybe you like/need it to be that loud

:wink:
    Cheers, and welcome to the forums
    "A man may be defined no more clearly than by what he finds laughable"

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Quote Originally Posted by buddyfunlove View Post
    Belber just called you old sele...
    Yeah I know it just takes my old fingers a long time to respond. Lol.

Struck by my rooted ThunderBolt

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by KingsGene View Post
    Hello all,

I am from the Kansas City area, mid 40s in age, and just purchased my Fascinate two days ago. This is my first smart-phone of any kind, and was content for many years with a Casio Boulder flip phone. I tried to avoid going down this road due to the $$$ involved, but my wife was going to get a new phone and I figured "what the heck". We both purchased Fascinate devices, primarily due to the amazing screen display without really doing our homework. She is replacing her old "brick" phone which was running some sort of MS Windows OS on it.

Now I'm reading all about this phone, and how folks returned it right away, how it is running the old Android OS 2.1, Bing, Verizon bloatware, etc. So, I'm already thinking of returning it for something else. Perhaps I shouldn't? Maybe you folks here can convince me not to...!

Thanks in advance for all of the stupid questions I may ask.
    Scott.
    you just purchased the best phone on vzw..sele is right the BING thing is blown way out, you wont find a better screen, you should learn some about the phone first, then flash a new rom on it, and i promise you will love it...forget what every one else says on the reviews or whatever...nonsense

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads