Register

Welcome to the Samsung Galaxy Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    328 times

re: wireless tethering

I'd love to have access to wifi/usb tethering via my Fascinate but am hesitant to root my phone at this time, at least until I know there's an easy way to restore to factory settings.
    My question is: has anyone tried "PDA Net Free edition" or "EasyTether Lite" from the app store yet? They're both free apps and don't require you to root your phone.
    Looks like an interesting option, just wanted to get some feedback from others who have used one or the other first before I try it out.
    Thanks!

2. Ads

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    PDA net free edition isnt bad, but it doesnt let you surf to secure sites. And I havent tried or heard anything about easy tether lite. IMO your best bet is to root and go with wifi tether. Its free and unrestricted. But then again you did state your hesitance to root. But if you root, you can always un-root.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Wireless tether is great until you have to plug the usb in anyway cause you've eaten up the battery, heh heh.
    verizon user since 2001: kyocera 6035, samsung i300, treo 600p, treo 700p, htc eris droid, motorola droid x, samsung fascinate droid (since 2010-09-11)

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    328 times
    Anyone else try Easy Tether yet from the market? I don't wanna root until 2.2 comes out and Easy Tether doesn't require root access to run. It got 4 1/2 out of 5 stars but when I read the recent comments a lot of people say it won't hold a connection. I don't mind paying 9.99 for this app, but not if it won't give me a reliable connection.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Well you could always pay for the, try it out for a few hours and uninstall and refund if you dont like it.

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    If you don't want to root, I would suggest pdanet. I have the paid version on my wife's Original Droid (she will not let me root it because she's seen me reload mine too many times) and it works great. Even she can use it. I use Wireless Tether on mine since I am rooted, but occasionally when things don't connect as they should I plug up and use pdanet free version on mine. Try the free version out, the only difference is that you can't surf secured sites but you get 30 days free to do this as well, if you decide to purchase you purchase through their website after the 30 days are up. Nothing to loose.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    328 times
    I think I'm going to try EasyTether first since they only require access to "Network Communication" & "phone calls". PDANet requires access to:
    Your messages (read SMS/MMS & receive SMS)
    Network Communication
    Your personal information (contact data)
    Services that cost you money (send SMS messages)
    System tools (bluetooth admin)

(can't understand why they would need access to SEND sms messages through my phone)
    Maybe it's just me but after reading that article the other day about 3rd party apps and how they use peoples personal information, I'm real leary about what I download.

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    The reason that pdanet requires access to sms messages is that it runs a program that intercepts your text messages and displays them on your computer screen and allows you to respond from your computer while connected to pdanet. That is why it accesses: sms, contact list, svcs cost money. It also allows you to use bluetooth to connect to your computer if you don't want to wire. That explains the bluetooth.

Let us know how EasyTether works, I would be interested in knowing.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    328 times
    Well, I downloaded EasyTether last night and everything seemed to work fine. My phone did bug out for a few minutes after I downloaded it, but after I rebooted everything it seemed to run ok for the rest of the evening. I think it may have had something to do with my bypassing the "Windows Logo program" verification. After transferring the necessary files to your pc, you have to unplug your usb cable before installing the program. As the program was installing on my pc, an error came up saying it couldn't continue because it couldn't verify the "Windows Logo program" (or something to that affect) I tried uninstalling it and reinstalling it a couple times, but couldn't get past that error message. It gave you the option of bypassing the verification, but warned that if you do the program may fail now or in the future. I went ahead and bypassed it and continued with the setup process. Once everything was set up, I reattached my phone & USB cable and connected without any problems. After a couple of minutes my phone went haywire and started flashing on and off and then a bunch of apps start opening up while it was just sitting there on the table. I thought for sure I bricked my phone or totally screwed it up. I closed the apps that magically opened, shut everything down and rebooted. After that I didn't have anymore problems. But like everyone else had mentioned, you can't get to any secure sites (which is most of the internet) so unless I pay for the full version it's pretty useless for me. Since I can get free wifi at home I didn't really need it for my PC, I wanted it for my PS3. I thought the app included wireless tethering, but to my dismay, no such luck. Only USB support. Oh well, I'll have continue using Verizons 3G hotspot feature for now until 2.2 comes out. Then I'll root and have access to free wireless tethering. Unfortunately you can't use EasyTether to connect to your PS3 because the app has to be downloaded to the PS3's HD and you're going to run into that pesky "Windows Logo Verification" issue.
    Aside from that, the app works great and you do notice a slight increase in speed using the USB connection over wireless. I'll have to run a speedtest tonight to see exactly what the numbers are. And for less than 10 bucks you can upgrade to the full version and have access to secure sites, so you can't really beat that.

Sorry for the longwinded review!

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Don't worry about being longwinded, I, for one, appreciate all of the information. FYI, I don't know of any apps in the market that you can do wireless tethering without root. Even using the root app wireless tether if I am not mistaken you have to do some kind of voodoo to get it to connect to the PS3. I know my son was trying to connect his DroidX using wireless tether and was unsuccessful. However, I did read something over on XDA about how to do it. I really didn't pay a lot of attention because I didn't really need to know how to do it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads