Register

Welcome to the Samsung Galaxy Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

ont feel like you can get it down pat, all you have to do is jus

Got a question on rule clarification, comments on rule enforcements or some memorable NHL stories? Kerry wants to answer your emails at cmonref@tsn. Tedy Bruschi Patriots Jersey .ca. Hey Kerry, I dont think you will get many questions about this but I have a question about the Vancouver-Edmonton game from Friday I need some clarification on. In a corner battle, Dan Hamhuis got hit in his face by a stick of Mark Arcobello. My question is why there wasnt a penalty for this? Especially since it was a blatant stick to the face that caused blood! The commentators were saying something along the lines of a follow through on the stick which could change the call but there was no play on the puck! Is there a rule change that I didnt notice and I wanted to know what you would have done in this situation. While playing hockey one thing I learned is to ALWAYS know where your stick is. Great column, love your insight! Jeremy Mowat Penticton, BC Hi Kerry, In Fridays game against the Canucks, Edmontons Mark Arcobello looks like hes trying to play the puck along the boards when Jannik Hansen comes through with a solid bodycheck. As hes hit, the stick comes round and clips Dan Hamhuis right across the nose causing it to bleed severely. For me, this is where I think the referees made the wrong call. The announcers seemed to think that there was no penalty because it was a follow-through when he was trying to play the puck. Personally, I thought it was due to Hansens bodycheck that caused Arcobellos stick to swing round. Now, Ive seen on multiple occasions when a penalty has been assessed to someone high-sticking an opponent as a result of a hit under the reasoning that you must keep in full control of your stick. Arcobellos wild swing doesnt seem to reflect that he had full control of his stick when he clipped Hamhuis and therefore should have been a penalty. Do you believe that the referees made the correct decision, or should Arcobello have be assessed a double-minor for high-sticking? Gareth Richmond, BC --- Jeremy and Gareth: Even though your question opens me up for ongoing persistent abuse from some quarters, albeit admittedly warranted, I welcome your question and agree with your assessment. A double minor penalty to Mark Arcobello of the Edmonton Oilers was warranted when his accidental high-stick caused an injury to Dan Hamhuis. Rule 60.1 states that players must be in control and responsible for their stick. This includes a wild swing at a bouncing puck or when a player is body-checked and as a result of the contact and/or fall any contact to an opponent above the height of the shoulders shall be penalized accordingly. The player guilty of high-sticking is to be assessed a minor penalty; or in the event of injury, a double-minor whether deemed to be accidental or careless. The only exceptions to this rule allows for accidental contact on an opponent if the act is committed as a normal windup or follow through of a shooting motion, or accidental contact on the opposing center who is bent over during the course of a face-off. None of these exceptions applied when Mark Arcobello got to a loose puck below the Vancouver goal line and as the Oiler forward attempted to reverse direction to avoid an impending check by Jannik Hansen. The initial, left side body contact delivered by Hansen separated Arcobello from the puck. Hansen’s back leg and skate then contacted the left leg of Arcobello that took the Oiler off his skates with a twisting body rotation. The airborne flight resulted in a raised stick which cut Hamhuis as he entered the space to provide back door puck support. Even though Arcobello’s high-stick was purely accidental as a result of the check delivered by Hansen, the rule places the onus on the Oiler player to be in control and responsible for his stick. While this might appear to be an unfair application to some, it is as the rule is written and to be applied by the referees. In real time, once the officials conferred, they deemed that the spin action of Mark Arcobello’s body and stick was in a normal follow through attempt to backhand the puck that had been on his stick prior to the check delivered by Jannik Hansen. It can happen in the blink of an eye. Tedy Bruschi Youth Jersey . -- LeBron James warned the Orlando Magic to stop double-teaming him and ignoring James Jones. Steve Grogan Patriots Jersey . He will play 10th-seeded Feliciano Lopez in Sundays final, after the Spanish left-hander defeated Radek Stepanek of the Czech Republic 7-6 (7), 6-4. https://www.patriotssportsgoods.com/...verted-Jersey/ . -- Downcast before the final game of what had been a difficult road trip, the Ottawa Senators found a way to dig out a little momentum in the desert before heading home.OWINGS MILLS, Md. - Drawing on the knowledge he gained over 35 years as a football coach, Ravens defensive co-ordinator Dean Pees showed his creativity and expertise this season in putting together a unit that sustained its hard-hitting reputation despite several key injuries and the suspension of Haloti Ngata.The Ravens enter Saturdays playoff game at New England with six defensive backs on injured reserve. Baltimore has employed 12 different cornerbacks over the course of the season and also endured a month without Ngata after the five-time Pro Bowl tackle was disciplined by the league for using Adderall.And still, the Ravens upheld their tradition of defensive excellence.Only five teams allowed fewer points, no running back ran for 100 yards and Baltimore yielded no more than one touchdown in nine of its 16 regular-season games. Most importantly, the Ravens (11-6) played well enough to earn a trip to the post-season for the sixth time in seven years.Weve been through so many different players, and Dean has done a really tremendous job of tailoring the scheme toward what guys can do well, coach John Harbaugh said.We dont really look like the same defence every week in a lot of different ways. Its not like we revamp everything we do, but hes always going to give an opponent something different that theyre maybe not expecting to help guys play certain situations.Pees often stays up late at night drawing up Xs and Os in an effort to find the best way to utilize those at his disposal. Its not unlike his effort two years ago, when he worked through injuries to linebackers Ray Lewis and Terrell Suggs to help Baltimore win the Super Bowl.Some years are just like that, Pees said. Weve got to stay here as long as weve got to stay here to get the job done.Baltimore started the season without injured cornerback Lardarius Webb and lost its other starting cornerback, Jimmy Smith, halfway into the season.More injuries to the secondary followed, leaving Pees no choice but to shuffle his coverage and use more blitzes to keep the pressure on the quarterback.Somehow, everything fell onto place.Dean has done an excellent job this year with rotating the safeties and the secondary, the next-man-up thing, Webb said. Hes done a great job of adjusting to the strength of his players. Thats one thing hes always been good at. Jarrett Stidham Patriots Jersey. Hes a nice, aggressive defensive co-ordinator. I love playing for him.Pees, 65, broke into coaching in 1979 as defensive co-ordinator of the University of Findlay (Ohio). He then served as an assistant for five different colleges, including Notre Dame and Michigan State, before taking over as head coach at Kent State in 1998.That job lasted for five years before he was hired as New Englands linebackers coach, a post Pees held for two years before becoming the Patriots defensive co-ordinator from 2006-09.Pees then came to Baltimore, working as linebackers coach for two years before replacing defensive co-ordinator Chuck Pagano, who got the top job in Indianapolis.Pees style can be described as teaching with a purpose.If you dont understand something or dont feel like you can get it down pat, all you have to do is just let him know, Ravens safety Will Hill said. Hes always up new challenges, and always has new schemes. He knows his players and what situations to put people in.Pees will have a heck of a challenge on Saturday against the Patriots (12-4). He doesnt expect his familiarity with New England coach Bill Belichick to factor into the game plan.At this point in time, I dont think I know him as well as everybody thinks I know him, Pees said. Ive been gone five years. Its been so far removed, its different.Although Pees is sure to have some new wrinkles in his defence, the Patriots have a good idea what to expect.Its a great team defence, New England quarterback Tom Brady said. Theyve always had a great defence. Theyre always one of the toughest defences we play all year.Pees is the sixth defensive co-ordinator in Ravens history. Four of the previous five went on to become NFL head coaches, but Pees isnt expecting to change jobs anytime soon.Its got to be something that you want to do; its not the prestige of wanting to be a head coach, he said. Ive never been fired, and I never left a job that I didnt like. Ive always just thought the other opportunity was better, or it was, Id like to try that.Id never say never, but I am so happy here. I love Baltimore, my family loves Baltimore, I love this defence and I love working for John Harbaugh.___AP NFL website: www.pro32.ap.org and http://twitter.com/AP_NFL ' ' '

2. Ads

Remove Ads

Ads