Register

Welcome to the Samsung Galaxy Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Galaxy Fascinate home button won't work

I bought a Galaxy Fascinate SCH1500 with a bad esn to use like an Ipod Touch. I've been using a Droid A855 this way for almost a year but now I find that I want more internal memory. With the Droid I just ignored the activation screen and began using all the other features of the phone.The Galaxy was not having any of that and none of the soft buttons would respond in any way. I know I should have done a Google search for "activation screen bypass". To late now.

So instead I accidentally found the "Android system recovery <3e>" screen. Now I do the google search, and find out how to do a hard reset. I followed all of the instructions, but to select one of the options you must hit the home key. The home key still won't work. Now I am stuck at this screen with no way to back out. I don't know if this (dead keys) is a hardware or a software problem. I've considered re-flashing the rom but all of the options I've found require using this menu to re-boot. I know that the touch screen worked when I first turned it on because I entered a random number at the activation screen just to see what would happen & the key pad worked then, just none of the 4 at the bottom. I've search the internet for 3 days & it seems no one has had this exact problem.

So now I don't know what else to do. Did I buy a dud or just lock it up? I'm going to try to load a different rom before I give up. Don't think I can make it any worse. I'm just looking for some input from someone who's been around the block a couple of times with one of these before I go that far.

2. Ads

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    485 times
    Is this phone stock, rooted or on a custom rom? I'm a little confused by your post because I have never needed my home button to activate it.

Any ways. I suggest following this guide to see if it gets your home key working again.[HOW TO] Return to Stock (EH03 Gingerbread)

I know if someone tried flashing ICS then something like VGB it breaks the home key. So follow that guide and see what happens.

Rescue Squad

Feel free to pm, with any questions or concerns

Gtalk available upon request

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I can't activate the phone & don't want to, it has a bad esn. I just want to bypass the activation screen. I followed the instructions in the link you sent & now the phone is at the activation screen again but to bypass that screen I have to enter a code on the emergency dial screen & then hit the home button. I entered the code(*#83786633) & got a message (softkey is enabled) but it (home button) still doesn't work.

Are the soft buttons separate from the rest of the touch screen? Could they be broken while the rest of the touch screen works?

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    485 times
    Why not just press the top left corner under the status bar, then the top right corner under the status bar then the bottom right above any boxes or menue selections. Then the bottom left above any menu selections. It by passes any need to enter codes or use the home button.

Once your not on the activation screen I can better trouble shoot the home button problem. Its very possible the soft key went out but I won't know until you get passes the screen.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

Rescue Squad

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    485 times
    Here is a pic of what I mean.

Rescue Squad

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    My start screen doesn't look like that one. No Android bot in the middle just the words "Touch Send to Activate" with an EMERGENCY button on the bottom left & a SEND button at bottom right. The 4 corners trick didn't work. However I kept at the Googling & I found a post on that suggested turning on airplane mode & that worked. I should have known there was more than one way to skin a cat.

Now I'm past the activation screen & can navigate with the main screen buttons but still none of the permanent soft buttons at the bottom work at all. I'm beginning to suspect that they are dead. There may be apps that I can download that will let me navigate without them but I think there are times when those are the only option such as when trying to reset or boot a custom rom with the clockwork recovery screen.

Any more suggestions?

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    485 times
    Well. Aokp actually has virtual on screen buttons that can be used if your normal buttons are shot. Also recovery is all done with the volume and power button.

So you could install aokp, have on screen virtual buttons that work just Like the soft keys and be on the coolest rom the fascinate has.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

Rescue Squad

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Thank you ronnie8890. I am answering from my now working galaxy fascinate. I am a total noob with a regular job so it took a lot of Google searching & reading & a couple of times using Odin to start all over but I finally got it. I learned a lot through this. Mostly I learn how much I don't know. (:I found lots of posts with instructions how to flash a new rom but many were written as if the person reading them was familiar with the process. It was difficult to find a set of instructions written as if the reader was completely ignorant.Thanks again for your help. Due to this little adventure I've gained confidence & now my wife's new Droid 4 was rooted on the first day & l now own a HP Touchpad with the intention of installing CM9 on it. I've been wanting to try that since I read it was possible.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    333 times
    Congratulations Paul! You seem to have things well under control.
    GSM Galaxy Note 3 (Black) - Straight Stock
    GSM Galaxy Note 2 (Titanium) - Rooted running Jedi X20 Rom
    GSM Galaxy Nexus (Black) - Straight Stock

GSM Samsung Galaxy S3 (Red) - Rooted running Deadly Venom v8.0.1 Rom

Ads