Register

Welcome to the Samsung Galaxy Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Samsung Galaxy 10.1 out as of yesterday!!!

Didn't notice this mentioned, and I'm surprised this isn't getting more publicity, but the much anticipated (at least to me) Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 "Slim" is now out, at least in NYC. It is available to the rest of the country as of next week. And the reviews I've been reading have been pretty good, here's just one with links to others.

DailyTech - Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1" Reviews: We Have a Winner

And it's no surprise, at least on paper, its stats are AMAZING! Higher resolution, lighter, thinner, and better hardware in most every way than the ipad2, pretty much the king of the hill right now for tabs. Hopefully this gets more hype, because it deserves it as the pricing is on par and it gives the benefit of Android to a superior machine.

2. Ads

Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Hmmm... Wonder if it's worth selling the ipad2 for a bit of profit and trying this thing out! I love the fascinate so much that I have to believe this rocks. If not for the difference in app store this would be a no brained for me
    Moto Droid | Fascinate | GTab | Charge | GNex ...
    Humorist, gadget geek, and lover of all things bacon.
    Ignore my screen name, call me Jeff!

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Tab 10.1 is one fine piece of kit.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Well dudes... I sold the iPad 2 (for profit, mind you!) and got this tab yesterday. I really like it. I realized I was getting bored with the iPad, lol... if only I were made of money, then I wouldn't have to deal with that eBay crud!

Anyway - only used it for a day, but I really love the tab-specific apps, especially gmail. Widgets look fantastic on the screen. Running honeycomb 3.1, and it's nice and quick as you'd expect. I will give apple some credit here, because there are some times where I feel like the iPad runs a tad more smooth, but not a huge difference and not in all cases. iOS is a good, solid system, but using this makes me realize how much more I really do like Android than iOS.

There are fewer tab specific apps, but actually I was impressed with how well the phone/generic ones look on the tab. That's something that isn't the case when you run an iPhone app on an iPad. I'm glad to have flash again, although not a deal breaker, and it think the browser is much better than safari.

My primary reason for even having a tab is for displaying videos that I render as sort of a side business. They look great on 1280x800 (well, actually 1280x720, but whatever) and I really like the fact that it can take HD vid.

So overall - happy with the purchase and no longer bored with a tablet! It's a great device and a solid competitor to the iPad. Finally!!

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    thanks for the personal review, keep them coming!

I'm still trying to convince my wife that this is a "necessity" for me considering I purchased a new laptop earlier this year...

Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Tablet as a "necessity" is a tough one to justify. Even for my side business, however my original justification to the "boss" was that if I was to show a potential client some media, it would be far more cumbersome to use a laptop. In fact - I'm using the tab at an expo next weekend, where I'll have a booth, but I'll be able to stand out on the floor and show video work to folks that come up to me.

So... if you can find a good convenience angle, that may work!

Rather than continue to compare against iPad, here's just some general pros and cons I've noticed:

Pros: Some cool looking widgets, espec. calendar and CNN news; Gmail app is great; overall, browser is great; very fast; HD video; Fair amount of news apps (USA today, CNN, etc); A couple great rss/reader apps; light and thin; easy to hold with decent grip on the back; haptic feedback on keyboard; email preview notifications (that's very cool for me); it has flash; 10 hours on normal use; Honeycomb looks great!

Cons: Still some minor OS bugs; occasional hang ups (one time it froze); some sites default to mobile view when they don't need to (can be fixed by using 3rd party browser, but still..); flash videos on some sites are very choppy, lag behind; lack of abundant tablet apps.

I'd say that overall, I love the thing for email, news/magazines, reading books, videos, and light browsing. That's about as much as I can expect out of a tablet.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    even better follow up review JD, thanks for the feedback!

Oh, and thanks for the strategy to use with my "better half"... i do a lot of meetings and do occasional conventions, etc., might be something i can pitch...

Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    I just wish I had more time to use it!

Tappin'
    Moto Droid | Fascinate | GTab | Charge | GNex ...
    Humorist, gadget geek, and lover of all things bacon.
    Ignore my screen name, call me Jeff!

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jdpeters79 View Post
    I just wish I had more time to use it!

Tappin'
    you can let me "borrow" it, i'll make sure it gets plenty of use!

Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    lol... don't worry, it will get used much more, very soon. Thanks for the "offer" though

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads