Register

Welcome to the Samsung Galaxy Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Any other Kindle or Tab owners want to give some input???

So I have been debating for weeks now on what to buy.... I don't really "need" a tablet but just want one . I hate getting my laptop out just to search forums or do some internet searching or pulling up PDF's for work. So I was going to buy the Kindle Fire. Seems like a nice unit and would do what I need. Then I saw the HTC flyer on BestBuy for only $100 more. Well i ordered one, thought the Camera, Bluetooth, More storage, GPS was worth the extra $100. Well it's on backorder and i'm leary that it will ever be available before being discontinued... So, I did some more sale searching and found the Toshiba Thrive was on sale for $300, was going to order one of those (for the extra features) but I missed the sale by a day... so now i'm stuck. I would like those extra features that the kindle doesn't have but don't really wanna pay more than $100 extra. I thought heck $100 extra is worth it, but getting $150-200 extra i just don't see i NEED it that much. so since there aren't any sales for around $300 i'm back on the kindle kick... I keep reading about rooting it and such to make it more of a "traditional" tab but not sure if i root it will I lose all the amazon features (cloud storage in particular). I guess I just wonder what you all think, I've talked with all you guys on here a lot and I think your opinions are viable... So let me have it.... Unless something goes on sale soon I'm on the kindle fire bandwagon...
    __________________________________________________ _______________
    Powered By:
    Vanilla GB w/ Nekkid Lovvin Theme
    EC09 Radio
    Stock Kernel OC to 1200 w/ a few UV's

2. Ads

Member #
    Liked
    22 times
    I have the thrive and love it. I talked my wife into it instead of a laptop. I bought it specifically for the usb port and full size sd card slot. I would wait for one of the others to go on sale again, it's a good bet they will before Christmas is over. The limitations that have come out about the Fire are enough for me to wait. Check out thriveforums.org, they have thread over there for their for deals.

Tapped It
    Phone: Samsung Galaxy Nexus - ROM: AOKP Milestone 3 - Kernel: Trinity - Radios: FA02/FA02 - Recovery: CWM Touch
    Phone: Samsung Fascinate - ROM:[ICS] AOKP Test Port - Kernel: Glitch v14 - Radio: EH03 - not active
    Tablet: Toshiba Thrive - DaleNet HTK55D.31.5.0002 Modded Stock Rooted V1.4

Member #
    Liked
    22 times
    Maybe this will help in you decision making.

Kindle Fire update 6.2 removes root functionality
    Phone: Samsung Galaxy Nexus - ROM: AOKP Milestone 3 - Kernel: Trinity - Radios: FA02/FA02 - Recovery: CWM Touch
    Phone: Samsung Fascinate - ROM:[ICS] AOKP Test Port - Kernel: Glitch v14 - Radio: EH03 - not active
    Tablet: Toshiba Thrive - DaleNet HTK55D.31.5.0002 Modded Stock Rooted V1.4

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dpblusea View Post
    Maybe this will help in you decision making.

Kindle Fire update 6.2 removes root functionality
    Thanks for the artical dp!!!! Interesting... It seems as though you're still ok to root and have all those capabilities, it's just a bummer for people who already rooted, they'll have to re-root. does make you think about what they'll do in the future though... man that throws a wrench into my decision. I was all on board with spending $200, getting it, playing with it, seeing if i liked the 7" screen and liked it overall, then if i wanted something more/different I would just give this to my daughter and she could play games and listen to music on it.... Im a little more leary now but still think i might pick one up, esp since there are no real deals for other tablets out right now. Figure I could buy this, play around with it. then after xmas if there are a bunch of sales i could see if there is something i would rather have more. good idea? $200 isnt much to start off and get my feet wet with my first "tablet".
    __________________________________________________ _______________