Register

Welcome to the Samsung Galaxy Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: The Fascinate Car Mount

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

The Fascinate Car Mount

So I am looking at the Car Mount on the VZ site and trying to decide whether or not to purchase one for me and my wife. It looks nice in the one picture they have but I would like see a little more of it before I make my decision. Do any of you currently have the car mount? If so, how do you like it? Pros... Cons? Could you provide additional pictures of it and where you have it installed? Thanks in advance!

The Search Feature is your friend...

If you read a helpful post, be sure to click the "Thanks" button on that post to show you appreciated it.

2. Ads

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    So my buddy here at work pulled the trigger and purchased the Fascinate Car Dock. It arrived today here at work and I talked him into letting me take it for a test drive. I only had about 10 - 15 minutes with it but overall it seemed nice. Unlike other car docks I have seen, this one has a side that extends, you insert your phone and then slide the base back together with the USB sliding into place in your phone. Below are some pics I took of it (with my Fascinate camera). I've included some comments about the design. I'll probably end up picking one of these up in the next few days. Let me know if you have questions and I'll do my best to answer them. God Bless!

What's in the box (Front View)... Dock Arm, Dock Base & Suction Pad (Not pictured)

What's in the box (Front View)... Dock Arm, Dock Base & Suction Pad (Not pictured)

Card Dock Base - Notice there is a usb built into the dock on the left-hand side in the picture. This slides into the usb port on your phone when the base is closed.

Car Dock Arm (Side View) - There is only one adjustment on the arm which is loosened and tightened by a single nut on the back. Notice also, that the bottom of the arm snaps down to lock the arm in place on your dash or window.

Car Dock Base (Rear View) - Notice there are two ports on the back of the base. (Bottom of Pic) One to plug in your USB power adapter and a second 3.5mm jack, which I assume can be connected to your car stereo and used to play music from your phone in your car. At the top there is an opening for your phone speaker.

Car Dock Mounted in my window (Front View) - It fit perfectly underneath my rearview mirror.

Car Dock Mounted in my window (Side View) - Just another angle to look at.

Car Dock Mounted on Dash (Front View) - For those who don't want it on their windshield.

Here is a link to all the pics I took. Give them a look if you like.
    Smasung Fascinate Car Dock pictures by lonzom10 - Photobucket

If you read a helpful post, be sure to click the "Thanks" button on that post to show you appreciated it.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    thanks for the great pictures! i cant wait to get mine and order my car dock.

to remove it from the car dock is there a button you push that slides it apart to just pull out? or do u manually have to use 2 hands and pull it apart before you can remove it??

oh yeah. is verizon's website the only place to get this?

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Well my friend decided he didn't want the car dock after all as he couldnt find a "good place" for it in his vehicle. He offered it to me for $25 and I jumped on it like a chocolate chip cookie. I used it all day yesterday and must say that I really like the set-up. There were a couple of items of concern but nothing that cant be worked through.

First, and as we already knew, the car dock screen does not support Google yet, so this was kind of a bummer. I had installed Google Maps so I used it instead and it performed flawlessly on the drive home. Still, it would be nice to be able to use the Car Dock screen for what it was actually intended for and to have Google as an option there.

Second, and as many would expect, the speaker phone option while in the car mount is a little less than desirable. There were two problems here... 1.) Those I called said they have a very hard time hearing me and that I sounded like I was in a tunnel, even though I was talking very loud. 2.) The phone screen does not rotate into landscape mode while the phone is in the dock. This was very frustrating as the keypad and the contact's photo were sideways. Something you will definitely have to get use too.

Outside of those items, the phone worked very well in the dock. I was able to navigate to my home, view/read emails, make calls and do everything else you would expect. However, I have not been able to test streaming music from my phone to my car stereo as my stereo does not handle bluetooth and I do not have the wiring hardware to make a connection. I am going to try and test this out in friends car over the next few days and I will let everyone know how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by seba617 View Post
    To remove it from the car dock is there a button you push that slides it apart to just pull out? or do u manually have to use 2 hands and pull it apart before you can remove it??

oh yeah. is Verizon's website the only place to get this?
    As for your questions, the phone snaps into place and then the side piece slides into the side of the phone. If you want to take the phone out of the mount, you will want to use both hands to do so. I have read of some folks being able to pick up the dock at their local VZ store but I checked last week and all the stores in my area had not received any of them yet. At this point, your best bet would probably be to order online and use the code for free overnight shipping if needed.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I got this car mount yesterday at a local vzw store. It's nicely built but the audio output doesn't work at all. At first I thought it was just the music portion but after trying the speaker phone that didn't work either. Going to have to return it and either get another or find out if it's a common problem. Looked for some kind of setting to allow audio out via the micro usb to no avail. There is no 3.5 mm jack going into the phone in the dock so I can only assume it's pulling it through the micro usb.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I tested the music out function via the USB on Tuesday and it worked perfectly for me. I used the Micro USB to USB cable that came with the phone and plugged the dock up to my friends car stereo via the front USB port it had. I too experienced problems at first but then I realized I needed to mount the phone. I did so and it worked perfectly. The stereo recognized my music folders, displayed them and played the music stored on my phone without problem. I was also able to use it as a movie player while in the car dock, which the kids really enjoyed. There are still a lot of other things I would like to try with this phone but just have not had the time.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    is the 3.5mm jack blocked off with this dock? that would be a really big deal breaker for me

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Serika View Post
    is the 3.5mm jack blocked off with this dock? that would be a really big deal breaker for me
    Strange thing here... the 3.5mm jack is blocked off on the phone when in the dock but there is a 3.5mm jack on the back of the dock. I'm guessing everything is running through the micro USB.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by lonzom10 View Post
    Strange thing here... the 3.5mm jack is blocked off on the phone when in the dock but there is a 3.5mm jack on the back of the dock. I'm guessing everything is running through the micro USB.
    Interesting. I'll have to give that a try.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    So someone on droidforums.net was saying that the audio port on the car dock won't work until 2.2 comes out D:

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads