Register

Welcome to the Samsung Galaxy Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
    Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Twitter
    droidforums

How to replace BING Search with Google Search

Frustrated with the lack of Google's Search on the Samsung Fascinate? Here's a quick step by step to remove it:

Download the attached file: EnhancedGoogleSearchProvider.apk

Place the file on your SD card, and install it through your favorite file manager.

In a third-party launcher (like ADW or Launcher Pro), put the Google search widget back on your home screen, if you like. It'll work now.

Same goes for the search button. Again, you have to use a third-party launcher.

You'll still need to download Google Maps from the market if you haven't already.

Source: Here's your Verizon Fascinate Google search fix (update with even more fixed) | Android Central

2. Ads

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I can confirm this has worked for me. I rooted, removed Bing (using the paid version of Titanium Backup,) and installed the above .apk--everything including both voice searches (widget, and button-hold) go through Google.

Yay! No more bing. We should add a custom root.zip for the FF root guide that includes this .apk, to do the rooting and de-bing'ing at once.

Android enthusiast, and happy Fascinate owner.

Designer for InversePenguin.com

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Q...if I root it do I still need a 3rd party launcher? Are there drawbacks to using the 3rd party launchers?

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Do I need to root my phone in order to install Google, I know I need to root my phone to uninstall Bing. Also how do I root my phone, I have tried downloading that main file and putting it on my c drive, then putting in that line of text in environment variable and then typing in abd in the command prompt and it doesn't work. Is there something I'm doing wrong, can somebody help me?

Member #
    Liked
    542 times
    Quote Originally Posted by emiliecathey View Post
    Do I need to root my phone in order to install Google, I know I need to root my phone to uninstall Bing. Also how do I root my phone, I have tried downloading that main file and putting it on my c drive, then putting in that line of text in environment variable and then typing in abd in the command prompt and it doesn't work. Is there something I'm doing wrong, can somebody help me?
    You don't need to root in order to replace Bing with Google. Here's a link to the procedure on how to de-Bing your phone. You'll need to download a third-party launcher (I recommend LauncherPro) and Astro File Manager from the Market. You can get the .apk file from the first post in this thread.

As far as how to root, there are a few different ways to go. If you've never done it before, read as much as you can on what exactly rooting will allow you to do so that you can decide if it's even something you want to attempt.

Here's a good explanation on rooting:
    Rooting Explained + Top 5 Benefits Of Rooting Your Android Phone | Android Police

Here's some helpful information on rooting:
    1. HOW TO:Root, Install Clockwork, Remove Bloatware, Integrate Google, Un-root, and more | xda-developers
    2. ROOT, Recovery and Update | xda-developers

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I did the easy backdoor way to get rid of bing.

Open the browser & pull up google. Set a bookmark... then on the homes screen, pull up the option to set a shortcut from a bookmark, select your google bookmark, and snap... right there... a nice pretty "G" for a google search when ever you want it.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    312 times
    That's what I did as well.
    Welcome to tbe forum jamiediane82278!

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Cool Warning

If you've already updated your fascinate to froyo 2.2 DO NOT install EnhancedGoogleSearchProvider.apk on your phone...this will mess up the newer google search that is already on your phone and will cause all sorts of problems. I had to uninstall google search and then re-install after I made this mistake. Stupid me...I should have realized I already had it after updating my phone.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Or you could just use a debloated ROM

Member #
    Liked
    19 times
    I put the browser.apk from the Canadian Samsug Mesmerize which was not a bing browser. It was just a matter of copying over the browser.apk and replacing the one on the Fasc.
    Samsung Fascinate ED05: WiFi only Media player

Samsung Charge EP4P - Infinity ROM/EP4D Radio
    Galaxy Tab 7 Plus - Wifi only - No Verizon bloatware

Confusing people one post at a time

Ads