Register

Welcome to the Samsung Galaxy Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

ClockWorkMod... What is it?

As I have stated before, I am new to the Android platform, the process of rooting, custom ROMs, etc, etc. So my question, which hopefully I am not the only who wants to know, is... What is this ClockWorkMod and what is it suppose to do for me? Any additional information you have and/or want to share are welcome. Thanks in Advance!

The Search Feature is your friend...

If you read a helpful post, be sure to click the "Thanks" button on that post to show you appreciated it.

2. Ads

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    My understanding is that it is a rom that is the basis for many root hacks and goodies. Installing it or any rom/mod will drastically change how you use your phone, because you will then have opened the for to use any of the cw mod apps that are created. It appears to be the 'mainstream' of the not mainstream. Currently, there does not seem to me a cw rom that is available that the uninitiated should attempt to use.

EDIT: as corrected by the good and gracious kamileon, i do see that my understanding of cw was askew in that it is *not* a rom itself, but an app that can install roms, and other various root hackery. thanks, my friend!
    verizon user since 2001: kyocera 6035, samsung i300, treo 600p, treo 700p, htc eris droid, motorola droid x, samsung fascinate droid (since 2010-09-11)

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Clockworkmod is not a rom, it is an app with a very friendly ui that allows root users to do various things. The first and most important would be flashing a recovery image. With this you are able to create a nandroid backup of your current rom should something you do crashes or bricks your phone. This would be done through the recovery menu, you can get there through clockworkmod or simply power off the phone then press both volume keys while pressing the power button. The other thing it allows is the installation of custom roms, like CM6.x, which is the developers, koush, custom rom.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Yep I'm rooted with rom manager and clockworkmod ... wireless tether installed and setcpu. Just waiting on some ROM's and kernels to be released for Samsung Fascinate.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Same here...according to koush...very, very soon

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Holy Quadrant Score

Attachment 16
    This is not my quadrant score, but one of my friends friend who has obviously OC'd his Samsung Galaxy S phone. Not sure which galaxy it is, but I sure look forward to doing the same to my Fascinate.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    As stated before clockworck mod is a user friendly ui with a custom recovery. It allows you to download roms from the phone without plugging it up to your computer. It does everything for you. You can install a rom you have downloaded from your pc.

Remove Ads

Ads