Register

Welcome to the Samsung Galaxy Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Scary screen flashing

This just started yesterday. All of these bright white, blue and gray lines obliterate the picture and start flashing all of the screen. The episodes last anywhere from 5-30 seconds and sometimes I have to pull the battery to get it to stop. It's really scary. Not just because my baby is unusable when it happens, but also because it seems to be like the equivalent of the old "blue screen" error message on Windows computers. Also, if I had a seizure disorder, this type of quick bright flashing might trigger a seizure.

Has anyone heard of something like this? Any suggestions?

2. Ads

Member #
    Liked
    542 times
    Haven't heard of anything like that. What's your phone setup, stock or rooted? Did you make any modifications to the phone before this started?

Member #
    Liked
    19 times
    Feel the battery next time it happens and see how hot it seems. High temps could cause something like that.
    Samsung Fascinate ED05: WiFi only Media player

Samsung Charge EP4P - Infinity ROM/EP4D Radio
    Galaxy Tab 7 Plus - Wifi only - No Verizon bloatware

Confusing people one post at a time

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks for responding, guys (or girls??)

You know, I wouldn't be surprised if it's the temperature thing. It's usually in my pocket and I've been quite warm at work lately. But it also does it if it's been sitting out on my desk in sleep mode for a while in my over-air conditioned apartment.

I have it rooted. I'm using build ED01 with the 2.6.32.9 kernel. Although, I'm a little embarassed to admit that I'm not quite sure if I have my terminology correct. I do know that I'm using ADW launcher. I don't think it's the version of the software I'm using because I've been using these for weeks and the problem only started 5 days ago. I've been thinking about starting over from scratch and seeing if it still happens. If it does, well, that's why I bought the insurance policy. Think that'll work?

Seriously though.

Member #
    Liked
    19 times
    I think that is an excellent idea. Start from DI01 which is stock/stock. Let it update itself to ED03 and run like that for awhile and see what you get. There are packages to get you back to just about any build you want. But the 'truest' test of if you need a new phone is to return it to stock and let it update itself to ED03 (the most current stock ROM from VZW). Make sure you understand that by returning to stock you will lose all your settings (and contacts and Calendar data unless you backup or sync with google). Things on your SD card like pictures/videos you have taken, music you have added to your phone will not be changed (deleted) by flashing a package to go back to stock.

But if you have any questions about what and/or how to backup ask away that is what we are here for.

You would have to have some pretty screwed up software to get screens like that.

My money is on it being a hardware problem.
    Samsung Fascinate ED05: WiFi only Media player

Samsung Charge EP4P - Infinity ROM/EP4D Radio
    Galaxy Tab 7 Plus - Wifi only - No Verizon bloatware

Confusing people one post at a time

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    My cousin's fiance's Fascinate started doing this a few weeks ago. Apparently it was an issue with the digitizer, so Verizon gave her a new one since she had insurance on it.
    ROM: JT's CM7 b717
    Kernel: Tk-Glitch's V11.1 OC@1.4ghz
    Radio: EC09
    CwM: v4.0.1.0 (Blue)
    Launcher: LauncherPro+
    Google+

Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    One of my Fascinates also did the same thing. I pulled the battery and didn't see it happen again. But to be fair, I was also waiting for a replacement phone to arrive. So, I didn't have that phone very long after that episode.
    DejaVu

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Phascinate View Post
    This just started yesterday. All of these bright white, blue and gray lines obliterate the picture and start flashing all of the screen. The episodes last anywhere from 5-30 seconds and sometimes I have to pull the battery to get it to stop. It's really scary. Not just because my baby is unusable when it happens, but also because it seems to be like the equivalent of the old "blue screen" error message on Windows computers. Also, if I had a seizure disorder, this type of quick bright flashing might trigger a seizure.

Has anyone heard of something like this? Any suggestions?

YES, I had that. It was white, blue, gray, orange, and red vertical lines and sometimes moved from left to right.

I was expecting it though, a water pipe in my house exploded and I HAD to make calls to call for help as I was trying to hold the pvc pipe together to keep 20gallons a second from spouting into my laundry room. To say my Fascinate got wet would be kind of an understatement.

If your phone got wet, do the usual battery out, waiting a minimum of 2-3 days before turning it on. If your phone never got wet, then I don't know. But here's a tip how to find out: on the battery and inside the phone when you remove the back cover are white stickers with tiny red/pink X's. If any of the X's are blurred or faded, you have water damage (water damage also voids your warranty).

Remove Ads

Ads