Register

Welcome to the Samsung Galaxy Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Thread: Just a Comment

Member #
    Liked
    14 times

Post Just a Comment

Sorry for the long read, and please don't be quick to get the hanging rope.

Hello CDM, sorry to hear about your Fascinate problems.

I hope I don't start a flaming thread. That is not my intention. But I feel I need to say a word about this.
    I feel pretty much like CDM regarding this phone.This is not bashing the Fascinate, itís just pointing out some strengths and weaknesses.

I am currently on phone # 11 (one was a Droid X, all others were Fascinates).
    Ok. I got this phone in October, on phone 11. Thatís pretty much 2 phones I have gone through every month that I have had the phone. I would really like to set up the phone and not have to keep setting it up over and again.
    My first 3 phones forced closed in email and were returned for new ones (software issues). All other phones have had issues of some sort (brown screen, dropping signal, faulty camera, dropping the browser and/or email for no reason [causing me to start session from beginning again]. The list goes on).
    I have noticed that many choose to live with the Fascinateís ďfeaturesĒ for the expanded ability the Android platform gives. I cannot. I want the phone for first and foremost, phone calls. The rest are nice frills, which I have come to enjoy.
    However, when I'm buying a phone that is approaching the $600 mark, I expect it to work better than it does. Did I pay $600.00, no. But being in a 2yr. contract paying what we do for the phone, data package, minutes, text, and such all adds up to that $600.00 to me.
    I do not appreciate Verizon telling me that it is an electronic device and they all have glitches. I say hog wash. Not all phones behave this way.
    Tell me, if someone spends $1200.00 on a new TV, would they be happy with a green color overtaking the screen?
    If the sound cuts in and out, would that be acceptable for a new TV?
    If Iím watching a show on the new TV and the picture cuts in and out due to a weak internal device for reception, would that be acceptable?

It seems different when this is a ďphone.Ē Most people seem to just accept it, and again, maybe not. That is why we are all rooting our devices. We want to make them better for us and more customized to our individual liking. And itís fun.

Anyways, for plain call clarity and signal reception, the BB cannot be beat. Email is its other strong suit. Its main function was for use as an office phone with security in mind and great communication software.
    Now, can the BB tackle editing Excel, Word, and PowerPoint? Not as good and easy as the Fascinate. We will not tackle the screen. The Fascinate has that one hands down.

I think I may finally have a decent phone now. I just got it and have not really used it that much yet. Heck, I still have to root it. J 2.2 is much better than 2.1, if for nothing else, just for the extra options. Rooting, rooting takes that even further down the road to happiness.

Let me try and offer a few possible solutions to you.

Email: use K9 email (in the market). You can mass delete messages with this app. and customize ringtones and other email functions better than stock and Yahoo. And it is also ad free

Battery Life: That all depends on what you have running, frequency of app. syncing, screen brightness, OS being run, and a few other details Iím not thinking of at the moment. If you try K9, don't fetch messages more than every 30min or even every hour. Every 15 min. will drain your battery fast.

Wrong button hit: Well, that is just you getting used to the new touch screen over the physical keyboard. Some fascinates are more sensitive than others. I have been pretty fortunate here. I have gone to the wrong screen by accident a time or two, but I have learned to adapt to it.
    Overall, the Fascinate can be a very nice phone. It just needs the proper massaging to get it there. I'm sure many phones fall into this class too, not just the Fascinate.

I hope this helps you some CDM or anybody else having issues with the phone. Like I said, Iím not trying to start a war here. I just needed to say something.

Also, something I really like about this forum is the openness, willingness to help, and general kindness everyone has here. So, if someone needs to vent their frustrations, so be it.
    It was said nicely and that they just liked the BB better than the Fascinate, and really just pointed out issues I believe most Fascinate owners have had or still have. No big deal.

I fear more if our FascinateForums drifts to the harshness and snide remarks I see in other forums.

I really like that here it is generally kept friendly, open, and helpful.

Again I apologize for taking up so much space with this book.
    DejaVu

2. Ads

Member #
    Liked
    549 times
    Thanks for your input, Deja. You've been very patient with all the issues you've had with this model of phone. To be honest, I'm surprised (and impressed) that you stuck it out through 11 units. But you clearly saw all the benefits this phone has to offer. I commend you for your perseverance. And there are more exciting things coming on the development front. I don't have details. I just know that Adrynalyne has promised some big stuff. Stay tuned....

Tapatalk'd

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Nice write up...but when cdm said "we hate them" it didn't seem nicely said to me...I thought that last comment was unnecessary and inappropriate...

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    Mujibar, thanks for the input. I'm looking forward to rooting back to 2.2 and seeing what is up and new.

Mega, thanks also for your feedback.
    I can certainly see where you could have taken it that way. I guess I just saw that as someone who is very frustrated coming from a physical KB to a touchscreen plus the big change to Android. Some people are not cut out for Android. They may very well be one of them.

I appreciate your feedback.

DejaVu

CR6
    Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    347 times
    Thanks for your input Deja!
    I'm also very surprised you had to go through so many units before finally getting one that worked properly. It is nice to see that you stuck with it though. (I probably would have bailed after my 3rd defective unit!) I see your points regarding BB and I actually know a couple of people that recently (the past 6 mo) switched from Android back to Blackberry specifically for the reasons you mentioned above. Personally I've never used one, but I do have quite a few co-workers that have and swear by them. (their "crack-berries" they like to call em!) We all have our personal needs, likes/dislikes and I think each OS has it's pros and cons. I also think that's the beauty of the Android OS. If you're not happy with one model, another may suit you better. (I know Sele loves his new Thunderbolt!) And as Muji noted, rooting and customizing that way is always an option and will open up a world of possibilities to you. Trust me, I joined this forum a few weeks before our Fassy was even released, yet I was one of the very last members to take the leap in rooting my phone. But once I did I wish I had done it months earlier!
    Best of luck on your Android journey and we hope you'll stick it out with your Fascinate!
    :smile:

"Guidelines of Conduct" for Galaxyforums.net

Any questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to PM me.

Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    Thanks CR6!
    The Fascinate is not a bad phone, it just has its quirks. J
    I'm sure I'll still be sporting the Fascinate until 2012. But truth be told, I would have swapped it for the upcoming Blackberry bold Touch 2. Its specs. don't look that bad and they upgraded the camera to a 5MP. However at the time there really was not another phone I liked, plus we got the deal where the DX was free with the Fascinate. I didn't want to have to mess with that either. So, like on Star Trek Voyager… I will adapt.
    Ah heck, it's fun to mess with anyways.
    :cool2:
    DejaVu

Remove Ads

Ads