Register

Welcome to the Samsung Galaxy Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Verizon has yielded! Google Voice Search now included on new Fascinates!

I purchased a Samsung Fascinate and had loved the phone, hacked, rooted and debinged it. I traded it in for the droid x and was woefully disappointed. It seems all the Philablur changes were for changes sake, so I went back to the fascinate, and low and behold I noticed it had a different looking power cord, making me believe there was a change to the fascinate. Then, I was looking through the phone and saw that Google Voice Search is now preinstalled on the phone! Bing is still the default for everything, but Voice Search is pre-installed by google and is a homescreen icon away. I recorded a video if you would liketo see it. I don't know how to attach it to this email.

2. Ads

CR6
    Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    347 times
    I don't know if it's something new or they "yieled" as you say, as Google voice search has been pre-installed on the Fascinate since being released. (I picked up my phone the day after it was released, Sept 10th)

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    That's interesting that your Fascinate had that feature. This is my second fascinate and the first one didn't have the option to download Google Search from the market. I too got my first one in September. I remember the noise was because while we had to download maps from the market, there was no way to put Google Search on there without the custom app and you couldn't make it the default search without rooting. At least that was how my Fascinate was. Now I got a new one after returning the Droid X and it has Google Search pre-installed.

CR6
    Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    347 times
    Interesting. Google voice search was preloaded, but as you know you couldn't (and still can't) make Google search the default search engine, you still have to root to do that. I don't mind, I kinda like Bing. It works fine for me and does what it needs to as I don't really use search that often anyways.
    So what didn't you like about the Droid X?

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    The interface just was no where as polished.I'm not a big fan of samsung, but they have made some really thoughtful changes to the ui. It seems motorola changed things for the sake of differentiation. They made things harder to do. I came from a yearlong ownership of the droid, so I can compare phones to stock android. I just can't bring myself to use a custom launcher with this phone and that's saying a lot. Also the screen seemed washed out and is much harder to see outdoors in comparison the 2.2 software is really buggy as well. I also couldn't get over the locked boot loader. Motorola's cease and desist order spoked everyone and they've pulled the droid x stock rom info from the internet, so if you're modding, you're tightrope walking with no net. I did some mild customizations, but I never felt comfortable because if something went wrong I was stuck. Just too many things to contest with ay the end of the day.

CR6
    Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    347 times
    Thanks for the info! The Droid X was going to be my first choice until I really started reading up on the Fascinate and comparing all the pros and cons. Then with all the backorder issues with the DX, it made my decision to go with the SF that much easier. Having it now for a little over a month, I couldn't be happier with my purchase. I have a lot of friends & coworkers that have Droid 1, X, Incredible and Iphone 3&4's and they're all envious of the screen quality on my Fascinate, especially outdoors in direct sunlight, none of them can compete!

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I had a Droid X prior to my Fascinate. The Fascinate is by far a better phone. There is no comparison. Samsung has put more thought and effort into its design and function. The X is a basic Android phone by comparison. The Fascinate is better in almost every way.

Remove Ads

Ads