Register

Welcome to the Samsung Galaxy Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By bhfd64

Thread: E911 Location

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

E911 Location

How do I disable it?
    -Any roms?
    -apps?
    -anything?
    It has to be possible.

Swyped from my Samsung Fascinate. Rooting > Warranty

2. Ads

Member #
    Liked
    542 times
    Do you mean disabling the icon in your statusbar, or the E911 location feature itself?

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Completely disabling it...

Swyped from my Samsung Fascinate. Rooting > Warranty

Member #
    Liked
    542 times
    There's no way to completely disable it. It's required by law (federal, I believe).

PowerWashed ROM is configured to hide the icon, though.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    92 times
    I'm a dispatcher and have used E911 mapping to locate a great number of distressed callers who didn't know their exact location. Crashes, domestic complaints, various eye witness reports. I've also used it to locate many criminal suspects (you'd be surprised at how many are the caller and reporter of incident). In either case there is no cause for disabling it or allowing it to be disabled.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bhfd64 View Post
    I'm a dispatcher and have used E911 mapping to locate a great number of distressed callers who didn't know their exact location. Crashes, domestic complaints, various eye witness reports. I've also used it to locate many criminal suspects (you'd be surprised at how many are the caller and reporter of incident). In either case there is no cause for disabling it or allowing it to be disabled.
    Sorry to resurrect an old thread...please feel free to let it die again...

This E911 stuff sounds like something I'd like to have enabled if I need to call 911 after hitting my head and don't know where I am. But it also sounds like something I wouldn't want to leave enabled. If run of the mill 911 operators have the technology to see where I am when I place calls, I'm certain the NSA and lots of folks who have no business watching our every move have it too. Federal law mandates a lot of garbage that is not in our best interest. As there are likely several aspects of the OS and the apps we use that track location and could reveal it to unwanted benevolent dictators with or without a court order, it would probably be best to implement a method of spoofing your actual location by intercepting the data from the GPS sensor and replacing it with other data. This would invalidate any GPS logs of your movements. Also, with WIFI off this would then leave them with only a cell tower triangulation which is not terribly accurate. Plus triangulation is only possible in areas with multiple towers within reception range, which rules out many rural areas. If only one tower is available then they only know which tower you're on, which means you could be anywhere within several miles of the tower. Of course the feds would prefer that you carry your little black box everywhere you go and transmit the data back to them....perhaps we should all just go along?

Okay, so you don't have anything to hide....but wouldn't it be fun to make them think you did? Give these poor government workers something to do....so they don't feel like non-essential wastes of our tax dollars

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    151 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cdobbs View Post
    Sorry to resurrect an old thread...please feel free to let it die again...

This E911 stuff sounds like something I'd like to have enabled if I need to call 911 after hitting my head and don't know where I am. But it also sounds like something I wouldn't want to leave enabled. If run of the mill 911 operators have the technology to see where I am when I place calls, I'm certain the NSA and lots of folks who have no business watching our every move have it too. Federal law mandates a lot of garbage that is not in our best interest. As there are likely several aspects of the OS and the apps we use that track location and could reveal it to unwanted benevolent dictators with or without a court order, it would probably be best to implement a method of spoofing your actual location by intercepting the data from the GPS sensor and replacing it with other data. This would invalidate any GPS logs of your movements. Also, with WIFI off this would then leave them with only a cell tower triangulation which is not terribly accurate. Plus triangulation is only possible in areas with multiple towers within reception range, which rules out many rural areas. If only one tower is available then they only know which tower you're on, which means you could be anywhere within several miles of the tower. Of course the feds would prefer that you carry your little black box everywhere you go and transmit the data back to them....perhaps we should all just go along?

Okay, so you don't have anything to hide....but wouldn't it be fun to make them think you did? Give these poor government workers something to do....so they don't feel like non-essential wastes of our tax dollars
    To assume anything is done with privacy anymore (even before the whole NSA thing) is rather silly (in my opinion). E911 is the ONE service I want on all the time. People as a whole are typically not intelligent. Individuals may be, but when the government does something, rarely do they think of the individual. E911 ultimately is a life saving service.

It is required by law, as it should be. How would you like to dial 911 on your phone and the 911 operator tells yous: Sorry, I can't help you. E911 is not enabled on your phone. You are on your mobile, but I can't track you, so I can't help you.

On the tracking side, it's the world we live in. People reading our data? This isn't new. I will agree, that I wish the playing field was level. I would love to tease the government with not being able to see what I am doing, to find out they are tracking me, then find out I am doing nothing wrong. I am amused by this.
    How to use Odin!

Sam Mobile and Sam Mobile Firmwares (Select you type, OS, Model and Country/Carrier)

Ads