Register

Welcome to the Samsung Galaxy Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times

If there's a title about newbie, I've above that.

I recently rooted my phone (surprisingly, it went smooth). I installed titanium backup from the market. My question is, I've read a lot about clockworkmod recovery, is the Titanium backup practically the same as clockworkmod recovery? And if not, what is the purpose of the clockworkmod? Also, I can do my own research but if someone is willing to point me in the right direction to installing a new theme via ROMs, I'd appreciate it. Please excuse my lack of knowledge when it comes to the terminology. Thank you in advance.

2. Ads

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Titanium Backup will backup your user files and some system settings. Clockwork Recovery is used to flash roms/themes/kernels, but it is also used to create nandroid backups. These nandroid backups are like snapshots of your phones file system. It backs up everything! The os and everything that runs on it is backed up with a nandroid.

Clockworks primary function though is to allow you access to "flashing" or changing the system files on the phone by using the built in recovery mode of the phone. Without clockwork you will not be able to flash roms, kernels, or themes very easily.

Muji has a post about installing new roms, themes are installed the same way. I'll be back in a min. with a link.

Here is the link: How to Install a Custom Rom by Muji

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I just reread my title and that just goes to show I can't multitask. Sorry about that. So if I were to get clockworkmod, there would be no need for Titanium Backup?

Member #
    Liked
    542 times
    Quote Originally Posted by casey_thomas View Post
    I just reread my title and that just goes to show I can't multitask. Sorry about that. So if I were to get clockworkmod, there would be no need for Titanium Backup?
    They do completely different things. Clockwork is essential for flashing custom ROMs, kernels, mods, etc. Titanium is for backing up apps so you can easily restore after flashing aforementioned ROMs & things. Clockwork is a recovery utility. Titanium is an app. If it's still unclear, it won't be once you use Clockwork.

Tapatalk'd

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Quote Originally Posted by casey_thomas View Post
    LOL....I tried to figure out the title for a couple of mins, and then said to heck with it, and went on to the question.
    Muji is correct (as always) you really could use both. Clockwork is mandatory for doing anything else to your phone. And the first time you do a data wipe to install a new rom and have to reload all of your apps and settings you will see the need for Titanium.

If you rooted using my instructions clockwork is installed, go get the free titanium backup app and see what it can do. You will understand the differences after using both a little.

Member #
    Liked
    542 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Sele View Post
    Muji is correct (as always)...
    You flatter me, sir. I'm confident in what I've learned b/c you taught me well, Yoda.

Tapatalk'd

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    :wink:

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Thank you guys for your help. I hope to have a follow up once I can get clockworkmod. Thank you again!

Member #
    Liked
    542 times
    Give a shout if you need anything, Casey!

Remove Ads

Ads