Register

Welcome to the Samsung Galaxy Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Simple Step By Step for ODIN/HEIMDALL recovery "HOW TO UNBRICK YOUR FASCINATE"

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Post Simple Step By Step for ODIN/HEIMDALL recovery "HOW TO UNBRICK YOUR FASCINATE"

I wrote this on XDA a little over a month ago and as I have been looking around in the forums I haven't seen anything similar here. I thought since I have the time and experience with these recovery programs, I would share and re-post the walk-through here. Hope It Helps.

THIS WILL WORK ON ALL GALAXY S PHONES AS FAR AS I KNOW BUT, IF YOUR PHONE IS NOT A VERIZON FASCINATE, YOU MUST GO FIND THE RIGHT ODIN FILES FOR YOUR PHONE AND USE THEM!!!

HOW TO UN BRICK YOUR FASCINATE NOW THAT YOU HAVE BRICKED IT

So you think you bricked your phone? The first thing you need to do is CALM DOWN, no need to panic, the odds are great that following this guide will fix you right up.

Since there seems to be an abundance of posts in the Q&A and General Forums asking for help fixing, unbricking, their Fascinates, I decided to try to make a one stop walk through for odin and heimdall with links. Most of us "flash addicts", Developers, and testers have found the Samsung Galaxy Phones are nearly impossible to truly brick without causing physical damage to your phone, in almost all cases it is possible to get it working again.
    My intent is to make it easier for anyone needing this, to find everything they need to get a working STOCK phone. This will not have custom roms, modems, kernels, themes, or anything else you may want. This will give you detailed instructions on, how to turn your brick back into a working phone, after you turned it into a brick.
    I did not make any of these programs or files, however after several times of having to recover my brick, or Non Working Fascinate, whichever you prefer, I know the steps, and I know everything here works. Just ask my wife, she hears "DAMN I just bricked it again" at least twice a week, I am a hands on kind of learner. Without trying to insult anyone's intelligence, but some are more technically inclined than others, I will try to make this so anyone can follow it.

USUAL WARNING: Everything here is done at your own risk. I an not responsible in any way. Doing any of this is your decision, I am just providing a collection of information. All credit for everything here belongs to others, who are also not responsible in any way.

My Phone wont boot at all, is stuck at logo, or I cant do anything with it is it a paperweight?
    Most likely, no, so lets get to fixing it. All download links necessary for each process will be posted at the bottom of that walk through.

Your Friend odin
    Everything except for the pit file in odin MUST be done in the PDA slot, if not it will not work requiring you to odin again, or possibly have to use heimdall (covered later in this thread) to fix that. After you download odin, I use v1.7, others say v1.3, but I had a lot of problems with that freezing (becoming Unresponsive) and I've never had that in v1.7 so that is the one I am giving you here.

first you need to decide if you want to go all the way back to DI01 (Android 2.1 "Eclair") or EB01 (android 2.2 "Froyo") it makes all the difference with the files you need. The pit file is not necessary in the files I am giving you as they are an All In One package thanks to one of our Excellent Dev's Adrynalyne, but I have included it just in case you need to go completely back to stock. after downloading odin from another Excellent Dev JT1134, and your recovery package of choice. Make sure you put your downloads in a file that you can easily find again.

Start by removing your back cover and battery, I Know it can be done with it in but lets minimize opportunity for mistakes. Plug your phone, without the battery, into your PC with the original usb cable that came with it new, then press and hold the volume down button until the yellow triangle with the droid digging appears on the screen.

Now that you are in download mode verify that odin is reading it properly, you will see a yellow block with a port number in it, you are connected. next click on the PDA and ONLY THE PDA button in the Files (downloads) section. now you will see why I told you to make sure of where your file is located, you need to go there through the odin popup window, and select it.

Now the check box next to PDA is checked and the block has the file location in it. Make sure Repartition, Dump, Phone EFS clear, and Bootloader Update are NOT CHECKED in the Options section. Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time SHOULD BE CHECKED. These are the default settings in the options section but double check it anyway.

If you are going all the way back to stock, just like the day you first bought it, you will need to click on the pit button and select the pit file from the link below. Now the Repartition box should automatically be checked, if it isn't check it, this is the only time you will use anything other than the default settings listed above.

You are ready to go ahead and click start, and let odin run, it can take anywhere from just a minute to around a half hour. If anything Happens like your computer shuts off, you accidentally unplug your phone from your PC, or download failed, don't worry. If anything happens to interrupt the download or it fails simply unplug your cable, click reset in odin and start the process over from the beginning, but you wont have to download everything again.

Once odin finishes and does its test you will get a green box lit up that says Pass in it just above where you saw the yellow box showing you were connected. Congratulations on a successful recovery. reinstall your battery and the back cover, reboot your phone and wait for it to boot up. The boot process can take several minutes so be patient. If the boot was successful you should be looking at a stock bloated Verizon Fascinate, that is asking you to back up your system and log into Gmail.

If it didn't succeed try it again and again, still no luck, odin refuses to help you out, don't sweat it we still have other options see heimdall below.

odin 1.7 link: Thanks JT1134
    Odin3 v1.7.exe

DI01 all in one: Thanks Adrynalyne.
    http://www.megaupload.com/?d=4D3JPBKR

EB01 all in one: Thanks Adrynalyne.
    http://www.multiupload.com/I9HBT8MXN1

DI01/EB01 pit file: Thanks Adrynalyne.
    atlas_v2.2.pit

odin didn't work, now what?

heimdall, my best friend.

Now for the heimdall walk through, so follow along, although I don't think it is possible to completely brick this phone short of actually smashing it, lets not take unnecessary chances. First go to the link for heimdall. Download, unzip this and open the folder. In this folder you will find another folder labeled Drivers, open it and you will see a program called zadig.

Now put your Phone into download mode, that is remove the back cover, take out the battery and plug it into your PC with the cable that came with the phone when you got it, then press and hold the down volume button till a yellow triangle and droid digging show up, now you are in download mode.

Next double click zadig and when it opens, click on options and click list all devices. Now drop the usb drop down box and you will find an option for SAMSUNG android composite ADB device, or Samsung composite usb driver, select it then click install drivers. the usual install stuff from windows about do you want to install this, yes you do. Now If the warning about publisher could not be verified, whatever, install it anyway, no it's not a virus. You are almost ready to get your phone working again.

Now you need the files for this program to install, make sure you get the pit file for the correct file, it will be right above the All In One it belongs with at the bottom of this walk through. After download is complete unzip the .tar.md5 file with winzip/7zip/jzip, whatever zip file program you use, extract to a file, mine are named DI01heimdall and EB01heimdall, for easy recognition when I need it again. At this point I always move the pit file into the unzipped file, yes I copy and paste one to each one. Two reasons I do this is so everything I need is now in one file and easy to get to when I need them.

Now back into the heimdall file you opened earlier and click the application called heimdall-frontend. here is where you can go wrong so I will do this side by side with heimdall names and DI01/EB01 file names.

heimdall on this side of =DI01/EB01 file names on this side.

In Repartition:
    PIT=atlas_v2.2.pit see below.

In PDA/Code:
    FactoryFS=factoryfs.frs
    Kernel(zImage)=zImage
    Param.lfs=param.lfs
    Primary Bootloader=boot.bin
    Secondary Bootloader=slb.bin

In CSC:
    Cache=cache.rfs
    Database Data=dbdata.rfs
    In Other:
    Modem=modem.bin
    Recovery=recovery.bin

Now you are ready to run heimdall, but you say you have a file in either DI01 or EB01 left called movinand.bin? Why, yes you are correct and since there are no places left in heimdall to put it, now what? Nothing it wont be used in this program and yes your phone will still work. So after a simple answer of data, i went looking for more info, movinand.bin is a flash program to access data storage at less cost than using soldered in hardware, REALLY, see what I found herehttp://www.letsgodigital.org/en/1381..._8gb_movinand/.

Now that we have all the files loaded into the correct spots, the necessary drivers installed, and our phone in download mode, the start button will be able to be clicked, not shaded outlines like before, did you even notice that? If everything was followed step by step in this tutorial go ahead and click the START button and get your brick back to being a Fascinate. After heimdall finishes reboot your working Verizon stock, bing bloated, working Fascinate.

after this is completed successfully you will be able to use odin again if you need to.

heimdall: I can't remember who gave this to me, so whoever did thanks.
    heimdall-suite-1.1.1-win32-static-msvc.zip

DI01 all in one: Thanks Adrynalyne.
    http://www.megaupload.com/?d=4D3JPBKR

DI01/EB01 pit file: Thanks Adrynalyne.
    atlas_v2.2.pit

EB01 all in one: Thanks Adrynalyne.
    http://www.multiupload.com/I9HBT8MXN1

EDIT: Since some people have been having a hard time with driver issues, I am including Samsung generic drivers. I this package you will find x64(64 bit) and x86(32 bit) driver folders. After you unzip the file the first folder has a set up app in it, use that, it will install the drivers you need.
    here is the x86 and x64 generic samsung drivers:
    usb_drivers_GalaxyS_x64.zip
    Here is the Samsung original driver for the fascinate:
    http://www.multiupload.com/0XM3OPGH1U

Why did this happen?

Why was this necessary, as far as I can find out, through research, I wont even try to figure out how many times I had to ,and the six yes that's right I said 6, times I have HAD to use heimdall, because my phone would not recover through odin, it seems to be, dbdata, can not mount. This has happened to me because I didn't remove voodoo, or flashed a pre edify rom after accidently putting clockwork orange, which is for edify, on a non edify rom. So moral of the story is twofold, yes it is very likely it can be fixed, and remove voodoo before going to nonvoodoo, and unless you are on an edify rom stay away from clockwork orange. Another reason you will need the heimdall method and yes i did this too, is flashing a rom for a different phone on your Verizon Fascinate.

NEVER USE A FILE, ROM, KERNEL, ANYTHING, THAT IS NOT CLEARLY FOR THE VERIZON FASCINATE.

Remember, thank the developers by clicking the thanks button on threads you find helpful, they did the work. All I did was take some time and put together all the links and processes I have read and had to learn. Some of the walk through threads are well written by the Dev's and some were hard for me to follow. Sometime I wonder if our Dev's forget that us mere mortals have no idea what they are talking about, and I pride myself on being much better than average with computers and software. That said if you have trouble working e mail and office, I think it's fair to say you would be lost. I hope this is easy to follow and always successful for you. Better yet I hope you never need this.

EDIT: If heimdall fails, but you can still get into download mode, do it again, and again. If odin fails, but you can still get into download mode do it again, and again, If odin refuses to work, see heimdall. If you cant get into download mode with your phone plugged into your PC, Unplug usb from PC and plug it into the wall plug adapter, plug that into wall outlet, try to put it into download mode there. When It goes into download mode, unplug usb from adapter, plug it into PC and put it into download mode, it should work. I thought when Adrynalyne, either by referring me to one of his threads, or by PM, i thought he was crazy, but i was desperate so i tried it, it works.

If this has Helped you not have a $600 dollar paperweight, Than I was Glad to help

ADMIN EDIT: Please refer to this disclaimer from Galaxy Forums.
    Egalas likes this.
    :tongue: Love my Fascinate, Hate that it gets so little love from Sammy and VZW!!

2. Ads

Member #
    Liked
    19 times
    Wow, simply wow.

GREAT post/write up. This is going to help a lot of people.
    Samsung Fascinate ED05: WiFi only Media player

Samsung Charge EP4P - Infinity ROM/EP4D Radio
    Galaxy Tab 7 Plus - Wifi only - No Verizon bloatware

Confusing people one post at a time

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Thank you for this. I will keep this guide handy.

Sent from my fascinate
    Rockin Voodoo

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I screwed originally by flashing a root file for the galaxy s i9000 and though my phone booted up, I didn't have ascess to the market, the internal memory and the sd card.
    I spent days until I found your post, and it was the first to deliver any kind of results.
    Problem is the fascinate is now stuck in a loop during the boot up.

--Movi_Check Start..!!
    checksum confirmation need_checksum[0]
    Not need checksum confirmation

-- Movi_check already executed..!!

-- movi_checking done..!!
    -- Wiping data...
    Formatting FOTA...
    FOTA wipe failed.
    Formatting Data...
    Formatting CACHE...
    Formatting DB_Data...
    wipe_data failed.

Can you help?

Edit: Odin did absolutely nothing, I ended up using heimdall with the eclair files.
    I'm pulling my hair out here! lmao

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    HALLELUJAH!
    I got odin to work. I found an "old" driver on another thread. I forgot to copy the link, but I should be able to find it again. It was titled "Generic_CDMA_i500_Showcase_USB_Driver_V1.3.55 0.0" I loaded it, started odin (I used odin v1.82), and then followed your directions to the letter from there.
    I LOVE YOU MAN!!!!!!!
    Now to go and root my phone PROPERLY this time, lmao!

p.s. I think that movinand.bin is more important than you first thought.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Twitter
    shobon
    Thank you so much from this! I corrupted my cache partition and this managed to fix it.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    hi there, thanks so much for the info, but will heimdall auto reboot the phone? as mine has finished but phone still on download mode with blue line ?? should i pull the battrey ??

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    92 times
    I don't think it auto reboots the phone. But I do think it should power it down. Does Heimdall report that the flashing was successful?

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    thanks for quick reply yes it does

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    92 times
    Well, I don't know what you could other than pulling the battery and trying to power the phone up. You might try Odin if the Heimdall flash didn't take.

Ads