Register

Welcome to the Samsung Galaxy Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Softkey Notification?

Hello
    I am thinking about extending the softkey lighting.
    I went into RomManager, then download ROM, went into jt1134 and chose Change Softkey Behavior.
    Said ok to the download option and then was asked to choose:
    No Change
    Disable Softkey notification (BLN)

What's Softkey Notification (BLN)?

Thanks
    --

JW

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    -- Aristotle

Support P.E.T.A. [PEOPLE EATING TASTY ANIMALS]

2. Ads

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Some kernels are set up to use the softkey backlight for notifications since our phone does not have a notification light like most phones do. When you get any kind of notification, the softkey backlight will light up.

The problem I have with them is that unless you turn on your phone and clear the notification, the softkey backlight stays on. I found that on mine this severely reduced the battery life. I can't see these keys lit up when the phone is in my pocket or in the holster, so I really did not see much need in this. Of course, your mileage may vary.

There is a mod out there that will extend your softkey backlight to not go off so quickly, sounds like that is what you are looking for.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Here is the link to modifying the timeout on your softkey backlight. The max that you can do is 32 secs. I had it installed for a while but after changing kernels I never went back and reinstalled. I'm just used to pushing them in the dark now.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Sele View Post
    Here is the link to modifying the timeout on your softkey backlight. The max that you can do is 32 secs. I had it installed for a while but after changing kernels I never went back and reinstalled. I'm just used to pushing them in the dark now.
    First THANK YOU I thought the softkey download in RomManager was the file that you referenced in the link above.
    The hack you referred does that shorten the battery life as well?

Second you said you are using a different kernel.
    Can I ask about the what, where and how's???

Thanks
    --

JW

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    -- Aristotle

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    I didn't notice any significant difference while using this.

I'm currently running the stupid fast kernel v1.23 It is available through rom manager. Seems to run quick and smooth. The newer versions will mess up your vibrate.

Sent from my Fascinate.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Maybe I will try it but my device has been freezing on me a lot today.
    I didn't install or do anything but when I go to txt the txt window freezes when I tap to call up the keyboard.

Its happening sporadically with a few other times to.

Thanks
    --

JW

-- Aristotle

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Make sure you don't have something hung in memory. Use task manager or just reboot. The stupid fast kernel will also be more responsive than the stock kernel.

Sent from my Fascinate.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I am finding that when I try to add a app in the LPP dock and call up the app the screen goes black for almost 30 seconds, it also happens when I add a widget to the home screen as well.
    Also when I am in a txt just reading and want to respond by tapping in the reply strip it freezes.
    At times I literally have to remove my case, back, to remove the battery.
    BUT it happens whenever for whatever reason.
    There doesn't seem any rhyme or reason.

Its happening even though I installed the stupid fast kernel.
    Speaking about that how do I confirm it actually installed??

THANKS
    --

JW

-- Aristotle

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    With the stupid fast, he doesn't tag the kernel with his info I don't think, so it does not show in the about section of the main menu.

Keep in mind that all kernels and all phones do not necessarily play well together. Just because the stupidfast works great on mine, it might not work great on yours. I did switch last night to JT's non-voodoo kernel. I'm using the last one in the list of NON-Voodoo kernels, it is undervolted.

Also keep in mind when playing around with the kernels that one may work great for the first 24 hours and then get buggy later on. But it sounds to me like it is buggy to begin with, I would try one of Jt's and see if it performs any better.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Sele View Post
    With the stupid fast, he doesn't tag the kernel with his info I don't think, so it does not show in the about section of the main menu.

Keep in mind that all kernels and all phones do not necessarily play well together. Just because the stupidfast works great on mine, it might not work great on yours. I did switch last night to JT's non-voodoo kernel. I'm using the last one in the list of NON-Voodoo kernels, it is undervolted.

Also keep in mind when playing around with the kernels that one may work great for the first 24 hours and then get buggy later on. But it sounds to me like it is buggy to begin with, I would try one of Jt's and see if it performs any better.
    Now can I try the others?
    I tired the last (of 3) in jt's section of RomManager.
    I thought I could only try that 1 because in my about section it said DI01...
    BUT since I really don't know what the difference is between DI01 or D5--, am I wrong in my assumptions?

Thanks

Also if there is a buggy kernel, how do I get back to stock?
    Where can I find and or how do I install it over the buggy one?

Thanks
    --

JW

-- Aristotle

Ads