Register

Welcome to the Samsung Galaxy Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Newbie question on free hotspot?

All,
    My wife has a Fascinate and I am interested in the mobile hotspot feature (for free if at all possible). The phone is not rooted (and I don't want it to be). I have been reading in other forums that you can use the *#*#4636#*#* code with other phones and people have been able to get the hotspot for free. Most of the posts have been from Droid X users.

Has anyone confirmed that this works with Fascinate? I am just looking for something simple like this...if nothing else works besides rooting, I will just forget it. Thanks.

2. Ads

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    The only way to use wifi hotspot for free on your wife's phone is to root and use barnacle/wireless tether. You can try pdanet, it works on unrooted phones, but it's wired tether only.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    This for usage with Ipad 2 so wired option won't work for me. I was just wanting to check if the 4636 code worked for all android phones or just the X.

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    92 times
    You may be able to set up a bluetooth connection via PdaNet or some other app. I'm not familiar with the code you speak of and don't know of any other way to achieve a wireless network connection without root access.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rlp2955 View Post
    This for usage with Ipad 2 so wired option won't work for me. I was just wanting to check if the 4636 code worked for all android phones or just the X.
    FWIW, a friend of mine can't get his iPad to connect to his rooted android phone at all(everything else works fine). May not apply to all phones, just sharing what I know.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    313 times
    Welcome to the forum rlp2955. Unfortunately the only way I know of to get free wifi tether is by rooting your phone.
    However as Dustin noted, you can use PDAnet (and there's another one on the Market I can't think of right now) that work "wired", but they work well. The only downside is you don't get access to "secure" sites, or any site that begin with an https. ie: mail apps like hotmail, gmail, etc., banking sites and so on.
    I've never heard of that code working for the Fascinate. I'm sure if it did we would know about it. With that said, it could be possible, so if you'd like to get the directions from the other forum you found it on and give it a try. BUT, if something where to happen to your phone as the result of that, I would have no idea how to recover from it. You may check on the droidx forum if anyone knows whether that code works for the Fascinate and save yourself some trouble.
    If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate!
    Good luck & let us know how you make out.
    :smile:

"Guidelines of Conduct" for Galaxyforums.net

Any questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to PM me.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    I've seen what you are talking about over on xda. However I have not ever tried it because wt or barnacle worked fine for me. From what I remember people were having success with this method.
    Here is the thread. http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...ghlight=Tether

Tapatalking on the *pad.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dustinface View Post
    FWIW, a friend of mine can't get his iPad to connect to his rooted android phone at all(everything else works fine). May not apply to all phones, just sharing what I know.

Not sure about the iPad 2 but my original iPad tethers fine using wt or barnacle. Using wireless tether right now to post this.

Tapatalking on the *pad.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    313 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Sele View Post
    I've seen what you are talking about over on xda. However I have not ever tried it because wt or barnacle worked fine for me. From what I remember people were having success with this method.
    Here is the thread. Use verizon mobile hotspot free, AP mode - xda-developers

Tapatalking on the *pad.
    Thanks for the confirmation Sele! Good to know!

"Guidelines of Conduct" for Galaxyforums.net

Any questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to PM me.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Ok, thanks for all the info. I might go ahead and try the QPST method. It seems fairly straightforward. Will report back if I get up enough guts to do it.

Ads