Register

Welcome to the Samsung Galaxy Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times

Battery drain while sleeping, but fine while in use

In the interest of not cluttering up the [ROM] thread that I orignally posted in, I thought I'd start a thread over her in the help forum.

Quote Originally Posted by T311 View Post
    I'm pulling my hair out here - I can't keep a charge. It actually seems great while I'm using it...holding up nicely. But something is killing it while it's idle. I went to bed with over 80%, woke up with 40%. It seems to drain at a slower rate when I'm sitting there using it than when it's sitting there idle. Here are some screens from spare parts.
    Attachment 362Attachment 359Attachment 361Attachment 363Attachment 360

That last one is the only one that looks odd....any thoughts?

Mike

edit: This is really driving me insane. In the 3.5 hours since I've been up, it's only dropped 5%, and that's with me picking it up to text every so often. Further displaying that I'm getting fine battery life while using it, even intermittently. Why does the battery die whenever I leave the phone asleep for a long time, but NOT when I use it? This doesn't make any sense.
    Mike
    Mmm...CM7 goodness OC'd @ 1300 MHz

2. Ads

Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Liked
    301 times
    Do you use juice defender?
    I cut corners till I break it.
    If I help you break it, I will help you fix it...promise!

99.97% Success Rate
    Devices I have hacked, modded and owned: Original Droid / DX / Fascinate / Charge / TBolt / Razr / Gnex / Xoom / Kindle Fire

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Nope - never have. This is really odd. I'm starting to think my phone doesn't like the UV scheme in jt's kernel. This started when I was on the AOSP build. I went back to stock, am now running a TW based ROM and a different radio, but the same issue. I did use the same kernel for both (the AOSP version changed to the TW version, but same release). That's the only common link I can find. Like maybe it goes into a deeper undervolt after it sleeps for a certain period of time and my phone just doesn't like it and gets stuck trying to sync my google account or something. I don't even know if that makes sense. I just know that if I wake the phone up every 1/2 hour to send a text or something, the battery stays up great over many hours. If I let it sleep for an extended period without waking it up, it kills the battery in a few hours.

Mike

Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Liked
    301 times
    As we know all phones react differently to kernels and roms. Try a different kernel and see if that makes a difference.

99.97% Success Rate
    Devices I have hacked, modded and owned: Original Droid / DX / Fascinate / Charge / TBolt / Razr / Gnex / Xoom / Kindle Fire

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    It was fully charged last night around 10. I used it a fair amount for some browsing, texting, a couple calls between 10 and 12. Stayed up pretty well, being around 85%. Went to bed for 6 hours, it dropped to 40% by the time I woke up. Since then, I've used it occasionally to send or recieve a text this morning, and after 4 hours, it's still at 35%.

Mike

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by buddyfunlove View Post
    As we know all phones react differently to kernels and roms. Try a different kernel and see if that makes a difference.
    I plan to do that, but I want to test it again tonight and make sure the problem is repeatable. Plan to charge it up after work, hammer on it some this evening and see how the battery responds, then sleep and see if I get the same major drop overnight. If it repeats consistently, I'll change kernel tomorrow and do the same thing.

Unless someone has some specific idea about what might cause this....

Mike

Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Liked
    301 times
    I am overclocked at 1300 right now...so I am a bad judge of what a battery should do. I look at my phone the wrong way right now and I lose 10% battery. lol

99.97% Success Rate

Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Whenever I use a new kernel or rom, I always charge up to full, do a bstats wipe with terminal emulator, let it drain down to less than 5%, and recharge to full. It is supposed to recalibrate the battery, so to speak, and I have found it useful in removing the strange intermittent percentage drops. I believe that was a suggestion on a post on here, I would link you to it but I am nit in a good position to do so... I find that Juice Defender and Juice Plotter are very helpful - Plotter gives an accurate estimate after a few days use and you can see the overall performance on the graph, even during idle time. Defender has improved my battery life by at least an hour or two each day.
    Moto Droid | Fascinate | GTab | Charge | GNex ...
    Humorist, gadget geek, and lover of all things bacon.
    Ignore my screen name, call me Jeff!

Remove Ads

Ads