Register

Welcome to the Samsung Galaxy Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

First Time Battery Charge

Hi all --

Been lurking on the site after finally joining the smartphone world with a Fascinate. Was wondering if you could lend your expertise.

Bought the phone at Best Buy, they obv. turned it on to get it all set up, contacts transferred, etc., then I threw it in my pocket and went on my way. Played with it throughout the evening, then finally plugged it in to get it charging, but continued to play with it. Finally went to sleep, let it get a full charge over night.

So, I then read (and I swear this wasn't included in the VZ tips/tricks manual that was included -- a full product manual wasn't included at all) that I should've immediately plugged the phone in after turning it on for the first time and let it charge entirely. Oops?!

Gotta say, I was a little disappointed with the battery life on its first full day of use -- 7AM - 8:30/9PM, battery nearly drained entirely. (I've since turned off auto-sync and installed the Android Booster app, ostensibly to help with battery life.) Even this morning, I unplugged at 7:30 AM, with light use it's down to 76% three hours later.

Long story (really long, I know) short, have I compromised my battery in any way by not charging it correctly the first time? I guess as a smartphone noob, and being accustomed to a basic, candy bar phone in the past (where I could literally get 3 - 4 days on a charge), the battery seems to be draining pretty fast so far. Any thoughts? MUCH appreciated!

2. Ads

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Welcome to the Forum!
    Unfortunatly battery life with all smartphones including the Fascinate stinks compared to the "Candy Bar " phone you came from. All users are reporting different bat. time usage. Most of us on this forum are rooted which enables us to change the OS settings to our liking to tweak out more battery life. There are tons and tons of articles on this Forum as well as some others as to what different people are dooing/trying to extend battery life. If you are interested in Rooting your phone go to the http://www.fascinateforums.com/forum...ate-rs-guides/ section of the forum. Tons of "how to" info there. And oh, you have not harmed your battery. I didnt charge mine right away and im sure many others didnt either.
    Sent from my Rooted X2. I miss my Fassy.

Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Liked
    299 times
    Mine drops fast in the morning...generally 70% by 11...then stabilizes and I am at 50% at 5:00. I have cords everywhere...like an addict hides his bottles One at work, one in the car, 3 at home...kitchen, living room, bedroom. :nerd: I need an intervention. (that is not nerd emote...that is strung out emote for this example)
    I cut corners till I break it.
    If I help you break it, I will help you fix it...promise!

99.97% Success Rate
    Devices I have hacked, modded and owned: Original Droid / DX / Fascinate / Charge / TBolt / Razr / Gnex / Xoom / Kindle Fire

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jwalts27 View Post
    Welcome to the Forum!
    Unfortunatly battery life with all smartphones including the Fascinate stinks compared to the "Candy Bar " phone you came from. All users are reporting different bat. time usage. Most of us on this forum are rooted which enables us to change the OS settings to our liking to tweak out more battery life. There are tons and tons of articles on this Forum as well as some others as to what different people are dooing/trying to extend battery life. If you are interested in Rooting your phone go to the Fascinate RS Guides section of the forum. Tons of "how to" info there. And oh, you have not harmed your battery. I didnt charge mine right away and im sure many others didnt either.
    Quote Originally Posted by buddyfunlove View Post
    Mine drops fast in the morning...generally 70% by 11...then stabilizes and I am at 50% at 5:00. I have cords everywhere...like an addict hides his bottles One at work, one in the car, 3 at home...kitchen, living room, bedroom. :nerd: I need an intervention. (that is not nerd emote...that is strung out emote for this example)
    Thanks for the thoughts, guys. Glad I don't seem to have damaged the battery (jwalts). I'm not particularly interested in rooting, as I just don't think I'm enough of a tech junkie to a) do it right and keep it functioning right and b) use the freedom of the rooted phone to its fullest extent.

And, Buddy, you're right -- I've noticed that the charge has leveled off since the quicker drain in the early morning. I suppose since this is all new, it's just going to take some time to get a feel for the phone, how it typically discharges its battery life, what are the biggest drains, etc. So much to learn!

Thanks again for the help, guys --your kindness is much appreciated.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Don't discount rooting just because it seems difficult. If you don't feel comfortable doing so because of your contract etc, then do. But the community here is phenomenal and will be able to help you with almost any questions in a timely matter.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by buddyfunlove View Post
    Most people don't normally ask for an intervention... just saying lol

Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Liked
    299 times
    Quote Originally Posted by belber095 View Post
    Most people don't normally ask for an intervention... just saying lol
    SWEET! *goes to buy power cord for the bathroom*

ALSO, loc...we were all new to this once...it becomes second nature after a few tries. You have bought a phone that is INCREDIBLY hard to brick (what we call breaking the phone beyond repair), and most things can be fixed simply enough. When you are ready, shout out and we will start you off on step 1.

99.97% Success Rate
    Devices I have hacked, modded and owned: Original Droid / DX / Fascinate / Charge / TBolt / Razr / Gnex / Xoom / Kindle Fire

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    *has links at the ready*
    And buddy, if you buy a bathroom cord, it will end up in the toilet, and I will be laughing at you.

Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Liked
    299 times
    Duly noted. :P

99.97% Success Rate

Member #
    Liked
    542 times
    Oy.

Ads