Register

Welcome to the Samsung Galaxy Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times

Question Which active apps are safe to stop running?

I've been reading about how apps running in the background can eat up battery... makes sense, thank you!

BUUUT, how do I close out an app and know it's really CLOSED, and not still running in the background?

And secondly, when I try to close out running apps under the Task Manager, I can't always tell what's what (don't recognize them all!), so how do I know which ones may be important for the operation of the phone, and which ones I can safely shut down?

THANK YOU!!!!

2. Ads

Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    Hey Tiskers
    I normally shut down almost everything. when or needs something it starts the service back up.
    go: settings >applications >running applications
    SNE= facebook ans such
    I shutdown all but the email service, swype, and sync service.
    hope this helps
    DejaVu

Member #
    Liked
    19 times
    Tiskers, The answer is not quite straightforward so let me try to explain a bit.

First let me ask if you ave reason to believe that something is using more battery than it should?

A properly functioning phone (and most are) does not need task killers or memory or battery management though some people like to use battery managers like Juice Defender or Green Power (I think Muji has been trying Green Power)

Using Task Manager (long press on home key or in the app drawer) will show you what is running. If only your launcher is running your are in good shape. Unless you really like 'geeking' I would not go after background processes to try to save some battery life.

Applications in the background are typically using no resources. They just stay in memory until that memory is needed by another application. Now some of those apps might wake up from time to time to poll for any changes. For example Weather widgets and email app or facebook app.

Apps can go rogue (rare) but you can use the program like Watchdog to help hunt those down but again unless you have reason to believe that something is running constantly in the background I would not bother.

If you are still worried there is a very simple to use app in the Market called Where is my Droid Power.

Here is a recent thread about battery life and includes a link to an article over at Android Central: http://www.fascinateforums.com/forum...-question.html

Others may have other ideas since battery life is a hot topic. So check back to see what others might have to say.
    Samsung Fascinate ED05: WiFi only Media player

Samsung Charge EP4P - Infinity ROM/EP4D Radio
    Galaxy Tab 7 Plus - Wifi only - No Verizon bloatware

Confusing people one post at a time

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ezas View Post
    Tiskers, The answer is not quite straightforward so let me try to explain a bit.

First let me ask if you ave reason to believe that something is using more battery than it should?

A properly functioning phone (and most are) does not need task killers or memory or battery management though some people like to use battery managers like Juice Defender or Green Power (I think Muji has been trying Green Power)

Using Task Manager (long press on home key or in the app drawer) will show you what is running. If only your launcher is running your are in good shape. Unless you really like 'geeking' I would not go after background processes to try to save some battery life.

Applications in the background are typically using no resources. They just stay in memory until that memory is needed by another application. Now some of those apps might wake up from time to time to poll for any changes. For example Weather widgets and email app or facebook app.

Apps can go rogue (rare) but you can use the program like Watchdog to help hunt those down but again unless you have reason to believe that something is running constantly in the background I would not bother.

If you are still worried there is a very simple to use app in the Market called Where is my Droid Power.

Here is a recent thread about battery life and includes a link to an article over at Android Central: http://www.fascinateforums.com/forum...-question.html

Others may have other ideas since battery life is a hot topic. So check back to see what others might have to say.
    Thank you both for your replies!

Ezas, a special thank you for the detailed explanation. Oh, I can well assure you that I definitely have no interest in "geeking"!!! LOL!! That scares me! Believe me, I just wanna play nice and safe with my new phone!!! :wink:

I have no frame of reference on battery life, never had a smart phone before. My simple ol' LG would last for DAYS on one battery charge! My Fascinate needs charged every night, and I haven't been streaming any videos or TV shows or playing any games. A little e-mail, a little surfing, using my apps a bit, and a little on the Kindle. From what I've read here on the boards, that sounds normal to me? Do you agree?

The main reason for this post was my surprise when I randomly checked "Running Apps" one day. There were almost a dozen running, and many I didn't recognize. "GT Talk Service"??? "PVWmdrm Service"??? "SnsService"??? "Mobile APService"? "3G Mobile Hotspot Service"? "OPPServer Service"??! I recognize Google, sync, e-mail, Swype, Dictionary, and Weather, but the rest are a mystery! Is there some way to check or know what the specific apps running are?

As I said, I have no experience with this. But I have downloaded a few free apps, and some of them came with some ads, so I wondered if that might be bringing along some unwanted "baggage" to my phone, as well?!

Again, thank you all so much for such a wonderful and valuable forum!

Lynn

Member #
    Liked
    19 times
    12hrs to 24 hrs would be about normal on this phone. Maybe less if you are really beating on the phone. Like you I had an LG dare that would go days. But its a new world and we now hold little computers in our hands. I keep a few chargers around. One by my bed, one in my car and one here at the computer. The batteries we have are happiest with lots of small charges rather than running the phone way down and then charging it way up.

About once a month it's good to charge it up full, then run it down to <5% and then charge it back up to full. This keeps the battery gauge accurate.

No need to thank us, you are a pleasure to work with.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ezas View Post
    12hrs to 24 hrs would be about normal on this phone. Maybe less if you are really beating on the phone. Like you I had an LG dare that would go days. But its a new world and we now hold little computers in our hands. I keep a few chargers around. One by my bed, one in my car and one here at the computer. The batteries we have are happiest with lots of small charges rather than running the phone way down and then charging it way up.

About once a month it's good to charge it up full, then run it down to <5% and then charge it back up to full. This keeps the battery gauge accurate.

No need to thank us, you are a pleasure to work with.
    Ezas,
    Thank you for the battery info and tips! I have one home and one car charger so far!

PS If anyone else has any input, thoughts (or answers!) to the "what ARE these apps?!" question above, (and if free apps with ads are something I should avoid?) I'd really appreciate it! Thanks!

Member #
    Liked
    19 times
    No, no reason to avoid free apps with Ads. All of us are running many apps with Ads. I have about 90 Apps of which probably 70 are free or free with Ads.

Where are you looking that you want to see what a running process/service is?

If I wanted to know what a running process is I would use google. Not trying to be a search Nazi but that is what I would do if I was trying to find out what a process or service is.

So for instance I just searched for:

pvwmdrmservice android

And I found a post with this answer: VMtpServiceStart and PVWmdrmService are related to Digital Rights Management for the blockbuster (and potentially other apps (netflix?) in the future)

I searched for com.android.providers.applications and found a post with: This is one of the system apps that manages your apps. You can't get ride of it.

If there is application/service/process that is in 'plain english' like say Sync Service you can ask us and we'll do our best to tell you what application that is for. (in this case that is for Backup Assistant a service that VZW offers to back up your contacts)

Member #
    Liked
    19 times
    Tiskers, being the ever hard working helper I was looking at the application Watchdog to see if it would be helpful to you and I found this in the description of Watchdog:

"From Android 2.2 on, the kill command works only on background apps, and they will likely restart immediately. Watchdog removes the app immediately from the list, since there isn't feedback about whether it was successful. Having lots of apps running doesn't hurt your phone at all unless they are doing something. In fact, killing an app and having it immediately restart simply consumes your phones resources. If you just leave the apps running, they will start immediately when you want to go back to it."

Maybe that will ease your mind a bit about running processes.

But if you are concerned about run away processes Watchdog seems to be the most popular app for that. I'm downloading Watchdog now to see what I think of it.

If you concern is battery life something like Where's my Droid Power will show you what is using your battery in an easy to understand format.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Hi again! Thanks for the replies. Very interesting and a good reminder not to forget to google questions!

I will also look into Where's My Droid Power, and please let us know what you think of Watchdog.

And thank you again for your help.

Member #
    Liked
    19 times
    I liked it I'm keeping it. Its a very easy way to see what apps are using processing power (by percentage) and kill them if you want. I'd only open it if my phone was seeming to bog down and wanted to see if anything was running away. I did not set it to 'watch' anything.

Ads