Register

Welcome to the Samsung Galaxy Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Wallpapers are orienting incorrectly - how to get "What you see" in the gallery (??)

Ok, sorry, but this is driving me NUTS.

I have a photo I want to use as my Fascinate's wallpaper. A long, vertical-oriented photo that fits the shape of the phone's screen the way you would hold your phone.

So, I go to the "gallery" and view my photo, and when viewing it, it looks EXACTLY the way I want it to look as a wallpaper. I then go to MENU>MORE>SET AS>Wallpaper. This is where I have no idea what the phone's doing. Instead of just setting the photo as the wallpaper as seen, perfectly laid out, a crop box in landscape mode (wide) pops up, and only fills one-third of the page. You can only barely resize it larger or smaller, but you cannot rotate it to vertical length to fit the photo. So, you can only choose a small portion of the photo you're viewing, and when you tell it to set the wallpaper, it just enlarges that cropped section for your screen.

Again, this is making me nuts. You hold the Fascinate in a vertical way. The screen is a long, narrow, vertical screen. So WHY is this wallpaper mode making you crop a photo that's perfectly preportioned for that screen in a landscape (wide) mode to use as a wallpaper? ARGH. Does anyone know how to work around this? Thanks ahead of time.

2. Ads

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Man, I wrote a really long response to this on my phone, and then the server become temporarily unavailable as it submitted, and my response was deleted. Talk about irritating city.

Now, on to your issue. I'm afraid you're going to be stuck with using a landscape oriented image for your background, or a portrait image cropped to landscape. The way the background images work, moving with you as you swipe through your screens, your background image is actually longer than it is tall. Can you edit your image on your PC to change the orientation to landscape, or would that just make the image look stupid? Other than doing that man, if you want to use the image you're going to have to choose the portion of it you like the most.

Sorry man, I know it's irritating. I was the same way on my OG Droid, wanting to use particular images as wallpapers, but being forced to choose a crappy cropping since it was portrait. I've since given up and only use landscape images that I have only had to crop very lightly if at all. I'm actually using one of the stock Sammy backgrounds right now since I haven't devoted enough time to get one of my own that I like on the Fascinate yet.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    If you have windows, right click the photo and chose preview. In the photo viewer, rotate the photo. Please let me know if this works.
    verizon user since 2001: kyocera 6035, samsung i300, treo 600p, treo 700p, htc eris droid, motorola droid x, samsung fascinate droid (since 2010-09-11)

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by webjuju View Post
    If you have windows, right click the photo and chose preview. In the photo viewer, rotate the photo. Please let me know if this works.
    This is what I was saying as well, but I think it might be very likely that the image doesn't "work" in a rotated orientation.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Yeah, rotating the image beforehand doesn't do any good as it just displays in landscape format once you choose it. I guess then based on what's been said, the only way to get a good pic would be to have a landscape shot that panned OUT quite a ways, so you can crop in tight on it using the phone to get what you want. Damn. I had the PERFECT image that was the exact vertical shot for my phone that I can't redo that way. Oh well. Sometimes technology makes things harder than it needs to be.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Do you have photoshop, you can use it to resize the photo. Its a fairly easy thing to do, provided of course you have photoshop. You can use gimp to do this as well, and its free. If you like you can upload the pic and I can resize it for you.

EDIT: Your pics should be 960x800 to fit the screen size.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I appreciate the offer, but I do know how to resize (I use Paint Shop Pro). See above for the issue - it's not the size of the photo... it's the crop box that the phone forces you to use to make it work (and someone answered why). But thanks.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Right, what Im trying to tell you is that if the pic you are trying to use is not the right size then you will not be able to get the crop completely around the pic. The crop size that the phone uses is set to the screen dimensions, so if the pic does not meet that criteria you will not be able to use the entire pic. You need to open it in photo shop and resize the pic to 960x800, only then will it fit into the crop size.

So yes , IT IS THE SIZE OF THE PHOTO YOU ARE HAVING ISSUES WITH..........its like trying to squeeze 30 lbs of something into a container that only holds 15, it aint gonna happen. Its not the phones fault the pic is to big, its only allowed to work within its given parameters, so you must adjust on your end to compromise.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Thank you kamileon. I just tried this and it worked. All I needed to do was pop my image in Photoshop and re size it and I was able to use the full image as my wallpaper/background on my Fascinate. Thank you again. It was driving me insane not being able to use the images that I wanted

Remove Ads

Ads