Register

Welcome to the Samsung Galaxy Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Member #
    Liked
    27 times

Wink Weirdo Battery Drop

So earlier today I was on my phone browsing the web and I let the screen time out and when I hit the unlock button to bring it back up it locked up at the Unlock screen and I had to pull the battery. When it started back up my battery % went from 43ish% down to 24%. Is this a sign that I might need to recalibrate my battery? Anyone ever seen anything like this before and know maybe why it did it? Thanks!!

Running:
    Evil Fascination v3.5.1
    ImNuts PeanutButtterJellyTime Kernel
    Nitro Honeycomb v4.3 Theme

Here is a screen shot of my JuicePlotter for the day:

(Right after 4pm it did it's little lock up thing and drop in percentage)

UPDATE: I just restarted my phone again testing some stuff after charging it up to 33% and when it came back on it is now at 17%. Another decent drop

2. Ads

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    i would reboot into CWM recovery and reset bat stats. Do a full charge first though. Or if you have terminal emulator app you can reset batt stats through that as well. Also, i think i read somehwere on XDA that the kernel your are running can be sketchy at times. might want to try a different kernel.
    Sent from my Rooted X2. I miss my Fassy.

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    92 times
    I don't use JP but I have noticed large changes in battery percentages upon reboot. I too think you need to wipe battery stats. Instructions for doing that properly can be found here.

Member #
    Liked
    19 times
    Thru Terminal Emulator the steps are:

Open Terminal Emulator
    type in SU and hit enter
    When prompted to allow super user click allow
    At the prompt type bstats

it will run and then reboot your phone.

This method was used when wiping battery stats from Recovery was not working.

You can also reset the battery stats using an APP called Battery Calibration from the market. Thats the method I've been using. The Battery Calibration App also gives instructions for calibrating the battery which is the goal of wiping the battery stats.

The reason this is important is that it makes the battery gauge accurate so you really do know how much battery you have. Then if you still have battery issues we can start looking for the possible issues.
    Samsung Fascinate ED05: WiFi only Media player

Samsung Charge EP4P - Infinity ROM/EP4D Radio
    Galaxy Tab 7 Plus - Wifi only - No Verizon bloatware

Confusing people one post at a time

Member #
    Liked
    53 times
    Twitter
    Paul_gyver
    Quote Originally Posted by ezas View Post
    You can also reset the battery stats using an APP called Battery Calibration from the market. Thats the method I've been using. The Battery Calibration App also gives instructions for calibrating the battery which is the goal of wiping the battery stats.

The reason this is important is that it makes the battery gauge accurate so you really do know how much battery you have. Then if you still have battery issues we can start looking for the possible issues.
    I have been using this app and it's great. When I first got my phone I could not for the life of me get it to charge to 100%. It would always stop charging 95%-96%. Now all is well.

Member #
    Liked
    19 times
    The 95% thing means that you have charged your battery to full and your phone is dropping the charge down to 95% and then starts charging again, or maybe it just holds it at 95% i'm not sure. But what I do know is that this is part of overcharging circuit to protect your battery. Li-Ions do not like to be held at one charge either full or empty.They are happiest charging or discharging. For that same reason your phone shuts off before your phone is dead/dead.

While the phone has protective measures at both full and empty, for this reason I don't leave my phone on the charger overnight. There is nothing wrong with and it's good for your battery to keep it always draining or charging and there is not benefit from charing all the way up (except extra battery life) or to running it all the way down.

For this reason I pop my phone on the charger, even for just 1/2 hour whenever I get a chance during the day.

To get back to 100% before wiping stats (or just calibrating) try unplugging the phone for a minute or reboot the phone and let it charge to 100%

People on stock ROMS. You do not need to do this. About once a month charge your phone to full, then discharge all the way to about 5% without putting the phone back on the charger and then charge to full in one shot (charging will be faster on a wall charger). Then use the phone normally. The battery monitoring will be more and more accurate over the course of a few days.

Do this full charge-dischage-charge about once a month. There is nothing to be gained by doing it more often.
    Samsung Fascinate ED05: WiFi only Media player

Samsung Charge EP4P - Infinity ROM/EP4D Radio
    Galaxy Tab 7 Plus - Wifi only - No Verizon bloatware

Confusing people one post at a time

Remove Ads

Ads