Register

Welcome to the Samsung Galaxy Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times

If a charger fits, can you use it?!

Hey guys,

My sister just pointed out that the Fascinate's charger also fits the Kindle, and vice-versa. Now this could be a very handy thing indeed!!! Unleeeeeess there's some reason why specific chargers shouldn't be used interchangeably between devices?

Does anyone know if that is safe?

THANKS!

2. Ads

Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    Hello Tiskers!
    Good to hear from you.

You should check the voltage and current requirements for the two different systems.
    They may fit but may not be safe to swap around.
    Basically, you are looking for the same specs. (voltage and current)
    If these match, you should be good.
    What you don't want is to hit one system with too much power and damage it.

Hope this helps
    DejaVu

Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Liked
    299 times
    Hi Tisk!

As Deja mentioned...voltage is important to keep an eye on. Generally you will not fry the system, it will shut down when it gets too hot. Now, that said...lets not test that theory! The Kindle, however, uses a similar amp as phones...and the charge is light I am sure. I use other usb cords when I need too.

The voltage should be on a sticker at the butt of the plug.
    I cut corners till I break it.
    If I help you break it, I will help you fix it...promise!

99.97% Success Rate
    Devices I have hacked, modded and owned: Original Droid / DX / Fascinate / Charge / TBolt / Razr / Gnex / Xoom / Kindle Fire

Member #
    Liked
    19 times
    The USB spec outlines the minimum and maxium charge made available to the device via a USB connected Charger. Wall chargers supply the most current, USB ports on computers, less, and USB hubs the least of all.

It's not the job of the charger to manage the charge, its the designer of the device that is responsible to utilize the power in a safe manner for that battery type. All USB chargers are supposed to start with a minium charge which is not increased until the device and charger have communicated. (again it's the device that says please send more current I can handle it)

I wish I could say that I knew all this off the top of my head but I got the (more technical) info here: Charging Batteries Using USB Power - Maxim

So Tiskers I know you like 'english' so you should be safe using any charger/cord as long as it is a USB connector to a Mini-Usb connector.

But if you cook your phone it's not my fault.

But with that said the stuff (chargers/cords) at the VZW store while vastly overpriced are generally well made and will give good service.
    Samsung Fascinate ED05: WiFi only Media player

Samsung Charge EP4P - Infinity ROM/EP4D Radio
    Galaxy Tab 7 Plus - Wifi only - No Verizon bloatware

Confusing people one post at a time

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Hi guys and THANKS!

Well, I checked the plugs and the voltages are different. Cloooose, but not quite. DANG! I *loved* that idea, but I'm a little uncomfortable swapping 'em around now!!!

I need a 2nd charger to keep downstairs and I guess I am just gonna have to bite the proverbial bullet and go to the Verizon store and hand over YET MORE hard-earned cash to Ryan-who-is-sweet-but-apparently-doesn't-know-Froyo-2.2-to-save-his-life!!!

One more question, then... is it LIKELY that my future smartphone will fit the plugs I have now? One of my pet peeves in the past has been that every new phone I got (never a smart phone, though) needed a DIFFERENT charger, so I have this collection of wall and car chargers that are useless. I'd at least like to think that any charger I buy from here on out may still be able to be used in 2 years!!! Thoughts?!

Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    Good morning Tiskers,
    I read awhile back that the industry is being asked to do just that and some are. However, some manufactures still feel the need for an uncommon port (dell, Apple). A few others too. But the good news is more are shifting to a common port for this.

Time will tell.
    DejaVu

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Thanks, Deja! I'll keep fingers, toes, and kitty's whiskers crossed!!! ;o)

Ads