Register

Welcome to the Samsung Galaxy Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    18 times

Ugh, I'm so confused. Freezing issues.

I'm a noob when it comes to rooting things - so please be gentle.

I recently had my Fascinate rooted. Sure paid a guy in a store to do it and am thinking I wasted $30. I didn't do it myself because I felt overwhelmed by all the lingo and tech stuff that looks like a foreign language. I successfully rooted my Nook Color and had no problems but I was too afraid to do my phone since it is such a critical part of my life.

The main reason I had my phone rooted was so I could tether my Nook Color when I'm not at home. Well, since then my Fascinate keeps freezing up and the battery life has gone from 14-16 hours to 6-8 hours. Not acceptable.

I turn of the wireless tether unless I want to connect (I've only used it once so it probably wasn't worth it). I installed Launcher Pro so I don't know if that makes a difference. I hope not, because I love it.

I hope someone might be able to help me out. I'm guessing anyone who is willing to take a shot at this may need more info so if you can tell me what you need, I'll post a reply with specifics.

Thanks in advance.
    I have not failed--I've just found 10,000 ways that don't work. -Thomas Edison

2. Ads

Member #
    Liked
    19 times
    Rooting by itself did not start making your device use more battery.

I'm not at home right now but someone should be along soon to help you. Otherwise I'll give you more information when I get home.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk
    Samsung Fascinate ED05: WiFi only Media player

Samsung Charge EP4P - Infinity ROM/EP4D Radio
    Galaxy Tab 7 Plus - Wifi only - No Verizon bloatware

Confusing people one post at a time

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    ok are you just rooted? or are you running a custom ROM as well. And what baseband/build are you running? Go to Settings, About Phone, what does it say there. We need to know if your running Froyo, Eclair, or something else. I suggest you head over to our RS guides section and do some reading about rooting. It really isnt that hard and we will get you all fixxed up.

http://www.fascinateforums.com/forum...fascinate.html
    Sent from my Rooted X2. I miss my Fassy.

Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    I don't know if I am running a custom ROM or not (that sounds so stupid that I don't know) since I didn't root it myself...but yes I am rooted.

I'm running Froyo 2.2.1 Kernal version 2.6.32.9 It says my baseband version is V.ED04

I'll go read up on rooting. I just charged my phone again. My battery only lasted 4 hours this time. I'm now wondering if maybe the phone itself is having a problem and it just happens to coincide with rooting...?

Member #
    Liked
    19 times
    da2,

I'm home now so we can see what we can do to get you straightened out.

If you don't know what a custom ROM is than you are not running one.

Launcher Pro should not be causing any issues but something is. My suggestion is get Watchdog Lite from the Market and see if you have a 'rogue' app, chewing up your battery.

Think about anything else you might have installed or configured. Did you add an widgets recently?

I don't think you have a HW issue but that's in the back of mind, but we won't go there until we have done some more thinking on it. What you may need to do is to do factory reset which would solve almost anything. The only downside is you would need to backup your data and after the reset, restore or reinstall your apps and data.

I'll be doing some more thinking

Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    Okay, ezas. I installed Watchdog and set it on the highest monitoring option. As far as widgets go, I haven't installed anything "new". Launcher Pro (LP) was recommended by the guy who rooted my phone. I was impressed so I purchased the full version. I have 6 screens going - but I had this many before Launcher Pro with pretty much the same widgets going. I am using LP's people and FB widgets. I installed a game from the Market last week and did some upgrades, otherwise that's it.

I appreciate your help. This is so frustrating. I've had my phone since last September (right after Verizon released) and it's been perfect. Do I just play a waiting game to see if Watchdog finds anything?

Member #
    Liked
    19 times
    Yes I'd give it 1-2 days of normal use and see what you get.

Most of the normal things I'd have you check are not going to account for such a drastic change in battery life.

Grab 'Spare Parts' from the market it has some screens for checking what is using the battery. It will also let you check the capacity of the battery. A full battery should be about 4200 mV.

Don't get frustrated. If it's configuration issue, worse case is a data reset. If hardware, warranty replacement.

Do you know if you have Clockwork Mod Recovery installed on your phone?

Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    I don't know if I have Clockwork Mod but I'm guessing I don't. Is there a way to check if I do? What does it do anyway. I've seen that written a lot but can't seem to make sense of its use.

I'll get spare parts to check the battery. Then I'll just grit my teeth and see what happens. Battery issue aside (I have a charger in the house and in the car) I'm hoping to get the lag, freezing, and force close issues under control.

Thanks

Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    BTW, and completely off the subject:

Jwalts27...love your avatar! Val Kilmer was so hot in Top Gun! Just had to throw that out there.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Ha thanks clockwork recovery is a (backdoor) prgram if you wanna call it which gets installed by most people who root their phone. It is used for flashing (installing ) all sorts of modified stuff to your phone.

Just been kangbanged via Tapatalk
    Sent from my Rooted X2. I miss my Fassy.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads