Register

Welcome to the Samsung Galaxy Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Looking for insight on 3g signal issue and internet access?

Hi all, interested in whether anyone on the forum might have some insight as to what is going on with my wife's Fascinate and her 3G connection. We are having all kinds of issues with 3G signal strength, in particular when accessing internet applications like the browser, Facebook, etc. The peculiar thing that is happening is regardless of her 3g signal strength before accessing an internet app, as soon as we click on an app that has to access the internet, her 3G signal either drops to one bar or no bars at all. This happens just about every time. If are able to get on the internet, it does feel as if her connection is slow. Last night I ran a speedtest and it showed anywhere from .3 to .5. This was after calling Verizon and stating the issue. They had us do a complete reset of the phone, reprogram, etc but it still hasn't cleared up the issue. I am now in the process of having them send me a replacement to see if it's the phone itself.

So I guess my question...anyone else ever seen the drop to a single bar trying to access the internet? I have a Blackberry and Verizon service. I can put my phone next to hers with mine showing full bars and hers only showing one or two. I tried the *228 a couple of times to no avail. This all leads me to believe that it's something with the phone. Any other troubleshooting I can do? Are there any apps I could download that would help me diagnose? Thanks for any and all help...this has been driving us crazy!

2. Ads

Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Liked
    299 times
    As far as personal experience...I have never had full bars on my fascinate...but have had the same speed as when I had a blackberry. The blackberry always shows full bars, but it that over generous or is the fasci not picking it up? Good question. I guess if her performance is jeopardized then take it to a verizon store. Get a new one or maybe have them take a look. If it is just the bars not being there that is annoying...lol, then join the party. lol
    I cut corners till I break it.
    If I help you break it, I will help you fix it...promise!

99.97% Success Rate
    Devices I have hacked, modded and owned: Original Droid / DX / Fascinate / Charge / TBolt / Razr / Gnex / Xoom / Kindle Fire

Member #
    Liked
    57 times
    My phone is rooted now, but before and after I rarely showed full bars on the screen. I do have an app (elixer) that you can get to see a percentage of a signal listed to get a bit more detail on the signal. I have not *228 since root as not sure if I can.

Good luck
    Droid Razr

Fascinate history
    [ICS][ITL41D] Teamhacksung's ICS Port for Fascinate (BUILD 3)
    Stock, Evil Fasscinate 3.6, Powerwash Gingerbread, Vanilla Gingerbread, CM7, Miui, OMFGB

Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Liked
    299 times
    You can skin, and I suggest it.
    I cut corners till I break it.
    If I help you break it, I will help you fix it...promise!

99.97% Success Rate
    Devices I have hacked, modded and owned: Original Droid / DX / Fascinate / Charge / TBolt / Razr / Gnex / Xoom / Kindle Fire

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Skinsfan View Post
    My phone is rooted now, but before and after I rarely showed full bars on the screen. I do have an app (elixer) that you can get to see a percentage of a signal listed to get a bit more detail on the signal. I have not *228 since root as not sure if I can.

Good luck
    Yes you can *228 if rooted.

Just been kangbanged via Tapatalk
    Sent from my Rooted X2. I miss my Fassy.

Member #
    Liked
    57 times
    Just did it, I always did it pre root...not done post root! Thanks
    Droid Razr

Fascinate history
    Stock, Evil Fasscinate 3.6, Powerwash Gingerbread, Vanilla Gingerbread, CM7, Miui, OMFGB

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I am less concerned about the full bar notification as I am the fact that I see inconsistency in when we are able to access the internet. There are times where we try to access facebook and it just churns and churns. Also picture messages that she gets...lots of times it will see there spinning for minutes before the picture shows up (or sometimes not at all). I would have suspected it was maybe something in our house but I saw this going on the other night at a baseball game we were at as well. The 3g just drops to one bar as soon as we do anything internet related. If no one else is seeing that 1 bar issue (whether or not the signal is actually weak or not), I would say something is up with the phone? Maybe I will try Elixir to see if that tells me anything. By the way, this is an unrooted phone and we just upgraded to the 2.2 update a few days ago (and yes, this was happening before that update...was hoping maybe that might solve it but no dice.)

Member #
    Liked
    57 times
    Good luck, sound slike it is not exclusive to any certain area if you are having the issues all over. I only see really bad signals inside of a large building sometimes. Mine was not stock long enough to see, but since rooting there are no signal issues that repeat themselves. That said, Facebook can be a major slowdown depending on what is loaded.
    Droid Razr

Fascinate history

CR6
    Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    328 times
    I always show 4 bars at home and 0-1 bars at work. Problem is, when I'm at home is when I usually have the missed call issue. :shocked:

"Guidelines of Conduct" for Galaxyforums.net

Any questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to PM me.

Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    I'm having signal issues as well, but primarily with calls. I had a BB and noticed the amount of bars showing is less on my Fascinate. Figured it was difference in phones and wasn't a problem until about 2 weeks ago. Is getting worse by the day.

People tell me I'm breaking up then the call is dropped. Frustrating.
    I have not failed--I've just found 10,000 ways that don't work. -Thomas Edison

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads