Register

Welcome to the Samsung Galaxy Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Fascinatingly poor battery life

I am a proud owner of a fascinate, but this battery life is amazingly terrible. I unplugged today at around 7 and it is 12:23 and im down to 58 percent. Somthing seemsn off about that. I am not new to android, i had a hero on sprint , a droid and now this phone. The store i purcased this from is hdkng a droid x for me. I'm becoming curious now. It seems out barry bar overstates the battery until it is about to die. Anyone else having. These issues? I actually how I just have a defective unit.

2. Ads

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    First off, welcome to the forum! Glad you signed up!

My general experience so far has been good overall. I take my phone off of charge around 7am each morning and with moderate use (check emails, texts, facebook, listen to some music and play a few games) my battery is good until 10 or 11pm.

However, there have been sporadic reports of poor battery performance on the Fascinate in general and on this forum more specifically. Most however have found the battery life to be on par with most other android phones. Given you are a previous smartphone user, you have probably already tried draining the battery completely and then recharging without interruption 2-3 times to help batter life. If not, you may want to try this first. If you have, I would suggest taking the phone into your nearest VZ shop and explaining the problem. There have been a few members who have done so and VZ has replaced their battery free of charge.

Keep us posted on your particular outcome.

The Search Feature is your friend...

If you read a helpful post, be sure to click the "Thanks" button on that post to show you appreciated it.

CR6
    Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    328 times
    Welcome to the site!
    I've also read on a couple other forums a few occasions where others have had the same problem and as lonzom has noted, Verizon is pretty good about giving you a replacement battery.
    I've been pleasantly surprised at how well the battery lasts on my Fascinate. I usually end the day (7:30am-6pm) with around 35-40% battery life still remaining after a day of moderate to heavy use. When I get home I'll plug it in and it's fully charged well before I go to bed which I'll then unplug and use as my alarm clock. I won't have to recharge again until the following evening. Being that this is my first "true" smart phone, I couldn't be happier with the battery life on this thing.
    I also make a habit of closing any apps I don't need running unnecessarily throughout the day so that may help to contribute to my battery life.
    As previously suggested I agree that (if you haven't done so already), completely drain the battery and do a fresh recharge without any use in between and see if that makes a difference. If not hopefully they'll replace it for you free of charge.
    Good luck and let us know the outcome.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Do you have a lot of widgets/background services running all the time? Like the other guys have said, I actually get pretty impressive battery life. I unplug at about 10pm before I go to work, and when I get off at 8am I generally have around 20% battery life, and I use my device quite heavily.

If you have a whole lot of things synching in the background very often, and perhaps a lot of services running constantly, that can definitely have a negative impact on your battery life. I know you said you had android devices before, so don't take me saying this like I don't think you know what you're doing, I'm just trying to think of something that could help. Have you tried JuiceDefender?

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I agree. Buy a car charger and one for the office, you'll be good.

I take mine off 6:30 every morning, 100% - I usually use it sparingly throughout the day, in one office I get almost no cell service. I would never make a whole day without keeping it on a charger while in my office. Usually when I get home around 4-4:30pm I am lucky to have 20%. Then if I use it while at home I am dead well before 8pm. I had to get a few extra micro chargers...good thing for 5 below stores...lol

Good luck.
    1st Droid was in November 2009 HTC Eris, other than it having a horrible battery, constantly bogging down, not allowing me to call or receive calls at random times, I loved it!

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Thank you for the welcome guys. I have been around smartphones since I was importing them from England in 04. I'm glad to have a fine device and fine people to interact with. I did let the battery completely drain and charge for 3 cycles which is what makes it strange. but now it is 4:20 and the phone is at 41%. A much slower rate of drain than before. I think it also has to do with the tech of the screen itself. I am also a Zune Hd owner and an used to the finickiness of amoled screens. Depending on what's on the screen they absolutely gulp power. I was on the internet before and I could see the percentage points go down every few minutes. I compared this phone to the x and saw that standby was great, but web surfing time was pretty bad. Even for an android phone. I have Trillian as the only background app(besides the crap that pops up with touchwiz) I really do enjoy this phone and its open bootloader has me excited. I guess I just need to get used to its idiosyncrasies. I have never tried juice defender, I'll look it up. And don't worry about offending, when you think you know it all that's when you stop learning.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I bought a new battery from verizon and it lasts twice as long as my stock battery. Its not the extended life one, just a standard battery.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Really, that's interesting. How long have you had this new battery. I'm trying juice defender with much of the same results so far.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    My batter life has been decent with the amount of stuff I have running on it. Occasionally I've stuck it on the charger while I'm at my desk at work, but it's lasting longer than my last blackberry.

I read on a website that Verizon was going to release a new battery that was going to "get rid" of the low battery issue. Anyone heard anything?

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I was able to increase my battery life with juice defender, but I was down to 28% at 5:00pm with minimal use and unplugging the phone at 7:30. That's just terrible. As I look at a website on the phone I can literally watch the percentage meter just slowly tick down as if I were using it as a hotspot. I think I'm going to defect to the Droid X until They release a 2.2 update with some bug fixes. I absolutely adore this phone, but I need it to just that, be a phone that I can use when I need to. Thanks for all your help guys. In my short stay this has truly been one of the most helpful kind forums I have been a part of and I will be back.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads